ouch :(

Options
joziexo
joziexo Member Posts: 13
edited 31. Oct 2011, 14:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello :) im new to this and need some help. Im 17 and had rheumatiod arthritis for a few years now. lately iv been having quite a bad flare up which usually i can deal with but my ankle is really playing up. im finding it so hard to walk. iv looked on pictures on the internet of what your ankle looks like and where the pain is coming from there is no joint? its the heel of my foot, sort of underneath. iv tried speaking to doctors but nothing really seems to happening. im panicing incase the joint is damaged. has anyone got any advice? or have the same problem? thanks xx

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, the trouble with arthritis is it can affect the tendons etc as well. Have you googled plantar fascitis?? I have had inflamed fascias and achilles tendonitis as part of my arthritis. very painful.

Have you spoke to your rheumy nurse or gp?? I think you should call them to see if they can help. I had physio who gave me stretching exercises and helped to calm the fascias down.

Hope you feel better soon.

P.s obviously I am not a doc, it justs that what sprang to mind!!!
  • joziexo
    Options
    thank you for replying. me and my mum have been on the phone to the doctors and nurses for a few days now, they keep on telling me to wait for an appointment. i understand their busy i just wanted to speak to someone and ask what kinds of things i could be doing to help myself, such as exersises like you said or wether i should be walking on it or not.
    hopefully il be having physio in the next few months.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I too have very painful heels first thing, middle thing and last thing of the day, so I can empathise - and by heel I too mean the bit underneath, not the bit at the back. The ankles twang nicely alongside too (although there is no visible damamge to those joints) and I've been told that it's just the arthritis - needless to say by people who don't have any form of this accurséd stuff. :lol: At my age (52) I can accept that, but as you are so young I hope you can see someone who will a) listen and b) try to help. In the meantime keep as active as you can, with rest periods too, but would you consider using a stick? I know, I know, they're for grannies - and by heck girl you ain't one - but they can take a deal of pressure away from the most painful joint/side. If you are willing to consider this then hold it on the opposite side to the most painful bit. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kellis
    kellis Bots Posts: 69
    Options
    I have pain in the tendons at the back of my heal and also the 'pad' underneath (I'm sure it must have a technical name!) The pad feels swollen so that it hurts to 'squash' it every time I put my foot down.
    Both feet. It's been bad for a couple of weeks now and I'm yet to find a solution other than sitting down!
    I will Google what Suzygirl suggested to see if that is it...
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jozie

Heel pain can be awfuly debilitating so you have my sympathy. If you have pain in your heel when you stand up for the first time in the morning, you may have plantar fasciitis although you are very young if this is what you are diagnosed with. Most people with plantar fasciitis say the pain is like a knife or a pin sticking into the bottom of the foot. After you've been standing for a while, the pain becomes more like a dull ache. If you sit down for any length of time, the sharp pain will come back when you stand up again. I hasten to add I am not a gp or podiatrist.

If it is this, it will go away but it does take time and will more than likely need the help of a podiatrist. It does seem rather a long time for you to wait for physio as it should be looked at now really. You could ice the heel or get a very cold bottle of water and roll that up and down the heel of the foot to the arch and back again. Do not wear very flat shoes/flip flops which are the fashion these days. Orthotics could well help too. You can look up exercises on the net for plantar fasciitis if you think you may have this.

I believe you can have a steroid injection in the heel if the problem persists if it is Plantar fasciitis.

I do hope you get some answers soon,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Jozie, Welcome to the site, Heel pain can be painful at the best of times being a muscle, so for someone suffering with Arther it is very painful. The best thing you can do is take alot of rest and pain meds and sit tight till your doctors appt. I do understand the pain can be aweful I suffer alot as well. I hope you see your doctor soon and sort it out and get good pain management. Welcome to the forum! Amanda/bubbadog
  • joziexo
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I too have very painful heels first thing, middle thing and last thing of the day, so I can empathise - and by heel I too mean the bit underneath, not the bit at the back. The ankles twang nicely alongside too (although there is no visible damamge to those joints) and I've been told that it's just the arthritis - needless to say by people who don't have any form of this accurséd stuff. :lol: At my age (52) I can accept that, but as you are so young I hope you can see someone who will a) listen and b) try to help. In the meantime keep as active as you can, with rest periods too, but would you consider using a stick? I know, I know, they're for grannies - and by heck girl you ain't one - but they can take a deal of pressure away from the most painful joint/side. If you are willing to consider this then hold it on the opposite side to the most painful bit. I wish you well. DD

hahah thank you! i never really thought of having a stick before i think id be abit to scared of having one in public but maybe for when im at home it could help.. im not sure. Thank you for your advice :)
  • joziexo
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Jozie

Heel pain can be awfuly debilitating so you have my sympathy. If you have pain in your heel when you stand up for the first time in the morning, you may have plantar fasciitis although you are very young if this is what you are diagnosed with. Most people with plantar fasciitis say the pain is like a knife or a pin sticking into the bottom of the foot. After you've been standing for a while, the pain becomes more like a dull ache. If you sit down for any length of time, the sharp pain will come back when you stand up again. I hasten to add I am not a gp or podiatrist.

If it is this, it will go away but it does take time and will more than likely need the help of a podiatrist. It does seem rather a long time for you to wait for physio as it should be looked at now really. You could ice the heel or get a very cold bottle of water and roll that up and down the heel of the foot to the arch and back again. Do not wear very flat shoes/flip flops which are the fashion these days. Orthotics could well help too. You can look up exercises on the net for plantar fasciitis if you think you may have this.

I believe you can have a steroid injection in the heel if the problem persists if it is Plantar fasciitis.

I do hope you get some answers soon,

Elna x

thank you for replying :) i googled this after someone else said it but didnt really understand. the symptoms youv described perfectly match the way i feel il definatly ask my doctor at my next appointment. your advice has really helped too, specialy with not wearing flat shoes. worked wonders at college today! thank you :D