Its deb, gp related.

minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 5. Nov 2011, 08:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I registered with a new gp the other week. some of you know my story so far.
I made a normal appoitnmnet & he was absolutely horrible to me.
I gave him a copy of my repeat prescription he looked at it whilst pulling faces & saying ''Oramorph, we dont give out Oramorph'' Then the reaction to the 2 types of tramadol i have (Slow release & normal) ''your not having both'' he said. I said well i need the meds that are on there & if your not going to prescribe them then i will register with a gp that will give me the meds, they were prescibed by the pain clinic & its took years to find a combination that works. He did do the prescription for me but not a repeat & as i left he said ''If i were you i would register with anotther surgery'' :shock:
I was so angry with him i just took prescription & left.
Im planning to see the other gp at the surgery next time i need the prescription & see what hes like, if i have the same problem then register with another surgery.I have loads of thing thatr need sorting out, podiatry,pain clinic & how many appointments do i have to make to get all this sorted?
I have a number for the local health authority as ive spoken to the other surgery im planning on registering with but trouble is my notes will be flying from 1surgery to the other.
Ive had so much going on lately that this was all i needed. Just feel like im up against a brick wall with it all :sad: Not looking forward to facing another nasty gp.
Im still waitning to here from housing too, had an appointment with homeless officer & they just wanted to put me in hostel (Im ok were i am) Said it could be 2wks to 5 months before im rehoused :roll:
So thats me so far. Angry & trying to keep me chin off the floor.
luv debs

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Debs how awful

Sure it wasnt the cleaner you saw !!

No seriously if thats someone in what is supposed to be
    a caring profession, then he is in the wrong job.

Complain, you have to, why should we as patients feel nervous
    of seeing doctors.
    Hope you get sorted with your necessary meds soon.
    Beggars belief.

Kath x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Debs
    Im so sorry that awful GP thought it right to speak to you like that, if he didnt agree with the meds you are on, then there are ways and means of telling you.
    I do hope you get sorted very soon, like you say you didnt need all this, apart from the GP I do hope you are getting there , and dont forget we are always here for you.
    Take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Debs hun, that is not acceptable practice at all. Right, a word with the practice manager, then find out your local primary care trust, that the surgery comes under and phone them, better still, put it in writing and keep a copy. They have to follow a procedure and investigate all formal complaints.
    I never have and never will understand why, when the chosen profession is a medical career, some Drs have the charm of a rattlesnake. It makes my blood boil.
    We had them on the wards, every January and August, the new recruits would arrive on the ward, some with an eagerness to learn, who cared about their job and the patients in their care. Others had to have it drummed into them, in no uncertain terms, that politeness and empathy go a long way in a person's treatment.

Anyway, I digress, do complain, you have every right to do so.

Let me at em, I will sort the snotty Dr out. 8) xxx bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    makes you wonder who he thinks he is with out patents he will not have a job does he only want the ones who are never ill ??? he needs reporting or he will do it to others val
    val
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Hi,
    Yes this GP needs reporting.My practice used to be really good but every doc that was there since I have been a patient has now retired and this lot are rubbish.
    I have been debating with myself for some time about changing as I have 2 surgeries closer but I've hesitated because I do not know if either would be any better.
    This GP you saw sounds downright rude.I think though they are in charge of their own budgets now and yet again its down to money.
    Contact your PCT you don't need this aggro.
    Best of luck to you
    May
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Oh Debs
    What an awful appointment and what a horrible doctor.
    If it is to do with money like some have suggested....do you think another doc in the same surgery would be any better? More polite probably but would you get your repeat prescriptions?
    Get in touch with the PCT right away and dont hold back.....tell them everything, how rude he was etc and that the meds were prescribed by the painclinic

Love Hileena
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Sounds a ghastly appointment Debs.

Years ago I had to change gps as I moved areas. I made appointments with all the practices in my area and visited them one by one. Most of them I didn't like but luckily there was one that I did who seem to be happy with my complex medical conditions. I stayed with her until she retired a few years ago.

Just ask to make an appointment for a chat. You don't have to register first.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    oh dear debs that appointment was awful. :sad:

I can't understand how a gp can be so dam nasty, and as for the gp saying you should go else where, I just can get over that :x

You did well to stand your ground and get the prescription this time.

I hope the gp you see next time is much more understanding to your medical needs and he/she puts the meds on repeat for you.

I have my fingers crossed for you

Sending you a extra spec hug (((((((((((()))))))))))

Love Juliepf x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi Debs , i do feel for you nobody deserves to be spoken to like that politeness and manners cost nothing , i would contact the practice manager and take it further , xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • flutterbye
    flutterbye Member Posts: 22
    I remember phoning for a prescription to be refilled and instead of writing me a prescription the doctor (who was new to the practise) phoned me and asked me if I thought they were just there to write prescriptions for patients who demanded them without an appointment.

"oh great! we have a young upstart here who needs to be taken down a peg or two"

So my reply to him went something like this.....
    "No, I don't think that is the only reason you are there. First and foremost, as a taxpayer I am paying your wages and under no circumstances do you speak to me the way you just have. Secondly, If you had to walk a mile in my shoes you would know why I needed those painkillers, which although new to me, they have helped me considerably with my pain management, so I would also like you to add them to my repeat prescription list. I would also like you to know that the original doctor who prescribed them told me to phone if I needed more of them rather than trail down to the surgery for an appointment to get them,
    and lastly, I think you must have missed the charm class where you should have learned how to speak to your patients in a much nicer way, I trust that will now be something you will work on".

We all have a voice and should use it! Good luck!
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    words fail me... he needs to be reported thats absoultely disgraceful way of treating patients...
    hope u soon find someone who will listen to you and deal with ur needs xxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • minky67
    Aw Thanks for all your replies.
    I was very upset, well fuming attually.
    I have the number for the local health authority but im going to see this other gp first in the same practice & if hes the same ring the HA & report them.
    I do think its to do with budgets & im not a cheap patient (No rude replies please :lol: ) I need referals too & im going to be backwards & forwards to a surgery to get all this sorted.
    I checked the tramadol that he argued with me about, i take 200mg normal tramadol & 2x100mg slow release the maximum dose is 400mg a day & can go higher..Think he needs to read up on his prescibing as he also did the prescription wrong & gave me 100mg normal tramadol 4x a day :shock: Good job i know what i take :roll: I would have overdosed or been in cloud cookcoo land :roll:
    I will let you know when ive seen another gp & fingers crossed for me that its a more positive experience.
    Thanks again, debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Debs

you are not a cheap girl are you :lol:

serioulsy not many of us lot are and l am guessing it IS as much as anything financial and Debs in your shoes l would suss out the other practise......do you really want to be 'avoiding' a nasty doctor??? There will be a time when you might have to see him again :???:

Brilliant that you are ready to 'do battle' via the HA if needs be.

Bloomin good job you DO have a brain cell and didn't overdose :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • minky67
    Bloomin good job you DO have a brain cell and didn't overdose

Toni i have more than one brain cell left in tact i fink :wink::lol:

I have a few more gps to try out, i need a few days of rest first as i seem to be non stop sorting stuff out atm. I now have enough clothes so i dont have to wash them every day :shock: Only had the ones i stood up in for a start :roll: I now have a choice :grin: buying a few bits for me new place every other week too.
    So im geting there slowly.
    Pocket duties for next visit to gp then, think the forum lump hammer will come in handy :lol:
    luv debs
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Deb,
    I'll wield the hammer for you. Sounds like the GP you saw is related to the bloody useless woman I saw last week at my practice. Perhaps they missed medical school and went to the "how to learn to be a pr*t school" instead?
    Do they not realise that we know our own bodies best and we'd not take these drugs unless we had no other choice? I think you were very restrained - if it had been me he'd have been told in no certain terms what a pr*t he was!
    I hope the other partner you see is better. Alternatively ask around to see who your relatives/friends are registered with - personal recommendation is the best way I think.
    I'm relatively new to posting on here, but have been following your situation for a while before that. I think you've been extremely brave and shown loads of guts to change your life as you have done and I wish you all the luck in the world when you get your new place.
    Take care, Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • minky67
    Hi Grace, Thank you for your kind words.
    Im not sure that im brave, its a scary world out there even when your well enough to face it.
    Im having a fews relaxing days as i really cant face any more cr@p just yet.
    I have to see another gp before the 18th for more meds,so keep the hammer handy Grace.
    Every day im hoping for a letter to drop through the post from housing. Ive just thrown an orange peel over me shoulder for luck :lol: My old nan told me to do that everytime i had one & its stuck, not sure the people in staying with think im sane any more :lol::lol: (I know im not :wink: )
    Update everyone as soon as i hear anything.
    Thanks debs
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Oh Debs, that is all you needed. What an ignoramus he turned out to be. That is the problem when you move into an area it is very difficult to find out which practices are popular both for doctors and dentists. At least you have your prescription for the month?? So it might give you time to talk to as many people that you can and get a general feel for the services in the area.

I am sorry that you are having to wait for accommodation. There will be a place with your name on it. My friend got the run around and like you was offered hostel accommodation but in the end after a couple of miss starts she got a place of her own and has put down roots and has never been happier.

I got to go to the podiatrist by limping into A& E and being referred. Long story but it was the start of my journey to finding out what was wrong with me just by talking to one of the staff there. Not ideal but if needs must....

Fingers crossed for you,

Hang on in there Debs,
    Loads of hugs,
    I x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    hi Debs,

sorry late seeing this but still get over the gp's arrogance to say he knows better than a pain consultant! can you get them to write a support letter for the next gp's at all. i think you can stay under the pain clinic even though its so far if you want and its possible?

i hope you v=can just get a couple of days out and recharge up before having to get out and find a more intelligent less arrogant gp.... leaving tea and a hug. love Cris xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Deb,
    just let us know when you're next going and I'll send you some positive vibes. Some of these GPs think they're "little tin Gods" as my partner says.
    Have you noticed when you go to a GP the first thing they say is "and how are you today?" "sick/fed up/in pain!" is usually the answer to such a stupid futile question. You wouldn't go and see a GP just to discuss your christmas shopping or the weather would you?
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    What I hate, which I get a lot from younger GPs, is 'What are you expecting from this consultation today? Or words to that effect. I don't know, treatment perhaps? Advice? Referral?

Patronising rubbish. Grr!
  • minky67
    Hi, well i bit the bullet today & rang a new surgery. The woman i spoke to couldnt have been nicer. well that wasnt going to last was it :roll:
    Got down there to register to find i can only register as a temp patient for 3 months :shock: (Didnt at the last one) & the receptionist was a polish rottwieller (Sorry to all rotties out there) She just kept walking off to check on what i had already been told & did this 3x, i was getting so mad. She was a right c.w I had been prewarned about her.
    Anyway i see a new gp on weds, fingers crossed & the forum lump hammer at the ready coz i might be needing it :roll:
    I also have the number for PALS to make a complaint about the treatment by the other gp.
    Been a busy day again with phone calls & things must start going right soon surely, Im not sure i can take much more right now :sad:

Ironic, did your friend take the hostel place offered? Im just worried that not taking a place will affect my rehousing.
    Thanks again for your support it means so much, debs
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Debs
    I will have everything crossed for you, things have to get better from now on...you deserve it you really do xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hi Minky, glad you have new doc. Will support you with the hammer if needed.
    Do follow up with pals or there are independant services for a county called for example : norfolk link, derbyshire link. They help sort out probs with nhs services and are totally independant unlike Pals.
    All the best.
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    hi Debs,#

i just answered you else where but leaving hugs and hopes and hang in there. love Cris xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I've had a similar problem with a GP when we moved up from Oxford to Norfolk, but before I had moved I luckily asked my GP if he would write a letter to my new doctor explaining my condition and the treatment I was having.
    It wasn't arther in those far-off days, but soon after my ulcer surgery. He agreed as notes then took between three and six months to transfer, (I'm showing my age!).
    As I thought, the new doctor didn't know about the medication and refused to give it me, so I told her a letter from my old GP would be coming. That did the trick! This was a horrible doctor, before the one I have now.
    Maybe your old doc or the hospital would be willing to do this for you? Love Sue xxx
    (ah the days before computer e-mail!!!)