Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

waiting for a diagnosis

nearlybionicnearlybionic Posts: 2,204
Hi
I have seen my GP this week, after a lot of putting it off, about my painful hands and wrists. She has sent me for xrays, and I have had lots of bloods done today (rheumatoid factor, esr, full blood count, bone, vit D etc..) She has asked me to go back in a week for the results, and she will either treat me herself or refer to a Rheumatologist.
Will these bloods be able to tell if it is RA or any other type of arthritis? What will happen if the bloods and x rays don`t show anything? I am really struggling with the pain and loss of grip and am feeling really low.
I have OA in my hip/back and have had a LTHR due to OA.
Thanks.
NB

Comments

• valvalvalval Posts: 15,897
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    the blood results are only a part of it as the help line will tell you it also goes on examination of joints and movement there are 200 types of artheritis so can take a while to work out which you have(am a forum poster with no medical training) but you will get help if bloods show anything then rhummy best place to go i know scary but they very good and early treatment stops joint dammage val
    val
  • nearlybionicnearlybionic Posts: 2,204
    Thanks Val
    I am trying to keep an open mind about what is causing my pain and problems, and am keen to see a Rheumy if I need to .
    NB
  • helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 1,930
    I've replied to this thread - it's appeared twice!

Guy