waiting for a diagnosis

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
Hi
I have seen my GP this week, after a lot of putting it off, about my painful hands and wrists. She has sent me for xrays, and I have had lots of bloods done today (rheumatoid factor, esr, full blood count, bone, vit D etc..) She has asked me to go back in a week for the results, and she will either treat me herself or refer to a Rheumatologist.
Will these bloods be able to tell if it is RA or any other type of arthritis? What will happen if the bloods and x rays don`t show anything? I am really struggling with the pain and loss of grip and am feeling really low.
I have OA in my hip/back and have had a LTHR due to OA.
Thanks.
NB

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    the blood results are only a part of it as the help line will tell you it also goes on examination of joints and movement there are 200 types of artheritis so can take a while to work out which you have(am a forum poster with no medical training) but you will get help if bloods show anything then rhummy best place to go i know scary but they very good and early treatment stops joint dammage val
    val
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Thanks Val
    I am trying to keep an open mind about what is causing my pain and problems, and am keen to see a Rheumy if I need to .
    NB
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    I've replied to this thread - it's appeared twice!

Guy