Position in the family

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 10. Nov 2011, 21:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
According to research, siblings and our birth order can be key factors in how our characters develop, and in the decisions we make.

First-borns tend to be achievement-orientated, conscientious, hard-working, and organised. Later-borns are more rebellious, affectionate, excitement-seeking and sociable. Middle children tend to score higher than any others on ''agreeableness'' because they learn to negotiate with their siblings from an early age.

How do you think that your position in your family has influenced your character :?:

I'm the younger one of two sisters, and I was definitely the more rebellious one, although I have always worked hard too. My sister is much more achievement-orientated and organised than me, and even though she is five years older than me, she still makes me feel exhausted just talking to her. She is still my big sister, bossing me around, even now. :roll: :grin:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My daughter and i are both first born and are strong characters and have been rebels lol, my son is very organised and a terrible worrier but likes things just right..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    2nd of 5 and a rebel still 8)

That's why I like you, Del :grin: ( two rebels together :lol: )

It's interesting that among Nobel prize winners, eldest siblings win more for Science, youngest siblings for Literature, and middle siblings for Peace.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm the middle of five.

With my 2 sons. Older son, high achiever, very academic and always a good boy.

Younger son, non academic, brilliant with his hands, very hard working and always a naughty boy.

Good thread Joan. :grin:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • joanlawson
    Options
    My children are twins, with my son being only 5 minutes older than his sister. However, she was always much more conscientious and hard-working than her brother. He is more impulsive, a risk-taker, and extremely sociable. I suppose that it's a different situation for twins because they've never known a time without each other.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    I expect gender is relevant too eh Joan???

I was a middle child :sad:

Oddly enough my sis was the eldest and l so often call MY eldest by her name by mistake!! :oops:

What happens to my kids

l have two now split by their stepsister here.

At their Dad's (not often) they are the two eldest of 2 half sibs and one (near enough) step-sister (parents not married)

eeee! It'a all too much for my small brain :???:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    middle and a girl with two brothers who both always trying to out do the other me knew would never keep up so did not try lol oldest was bossy youngest i spoilt oops val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Youngest of five but had to stay tough with 3 older brothers. I still have to defend when needed and have done all my life.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Number one son I am. Born raised and still bone idle.If I can get away with it I will :evil :evil
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tonesp wrote:
    Number one son I am. Born raised and still bone idle.If I can get away with it I will :evil :evil

There's an exception to every rule, Tone :lol::lol:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    number four of six boys split between
    Always a rebel though :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    number four of six boys split between
    Always a rebel though :grin:

We rebels should always stick together :!: :lol:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    1st born of 4 - I probably do fit "achievement-orientated, conscientious, hard-working, and organised" compared to my siblings at least - RA changed my goals of being a superstar architect but actually I still aim high in my career just slightly differently, I had to grow up early as I looked after my siblings from an early age thanks to an ill father and a mother who well just doesn't do mothering. I don't think i'm organised but everybody else thinks I am so I'm obviously good at presenting a good face to the world.

My brother (no. 2) - is the least agreeable person I have ever met (my DH agrees on this one) although he is rebellious, excitement seeking and sociable. He is academically brilliant (although i wouldn't admit it to him) when he can be bothered and aims high in the stuff that interests him but only that

My sister (no.3) tries to be rebellious (belly button & nose piercing) but is actually the most conservative of us all in most of life. She is an amazing achiever but very little of that is planned - she is just incredibly talented.

My baby brother (4) is incredibly hard working and sociable and the most agreeable person I have ever met (hes great if a little ditzy).

Chrissie
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm 1st born and I have always looked upto my mom and wanted to be as successful as she is. I was always a good student at school despite being bullied through school and got all the G.C.S.E's I wanted by one. I worked till my G.P thought it was best that I was signed off from working because of the Arther. There are alot of things I would still be chuffed of conquering so yes I'm stero typical of what you said.

And my sister is the rebel, quit school at an early age because she got pregnant. And she was and still is a fighter, she would stand up to any of friends or family problems from people for them. And still gets into fights!
    We never got on as kids we where always fighting yet she stood up to my bullies for me and even had a fight with one of them.
    Yet now we are very close and she is a great mother to her 2 kids and works hard as a carer to old and dying people, which I'm so proud of her for doing because she is amazing with them.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thanks for your replies on this thread. It's an interesting subject.