Total Ankle Replacement Update

RobYorks
RobYorks Member Posts: 16
edited 20. Jun 2014, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my 6 month check up today which coincided with a functional assessment undertaken by the company OH agency the week before. The really good news is that xrays show that the replacement joint is still secure and no untoward funnies e.g. stress fractures. The slightly less good news is that I still get more pain than I anticipated at this stage although it's now been baselined with the consultant so he knows roughly where I'm at for a menaingful comparison at the 12 month stage. The thinking being that I'm relatively young at 52 so have higher exoectations of mobility etc. Range of movement is okay in the new joint but the OH measurements show that I have way more flexibility (200% normal ROM) on my "normal" left side so by comparison, the new joint is 50% less flexible. In practice this means that the main challenges are walking down stairs or slopes or across uneven ground and that general pace is slow outside the confines of a physio room i.e. when we get into a normal stride, I'd be 8 steps behind after 10 steps. Overall, I'm positive this will work and think I needed the reassurance of the xray to prove I hadn't done anything stupid. It's all down to soft tissue, swelling etc and I'm much better placed to deal with that now that the mechanics have been eliminated.

All the best,

Rob.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rob

That sounds a good update to me. Great news :grin: I think you have done well in the 6 months post op. I know what you mean, it is reassuring to have xrays done post op to see that all is as it should be.

I am sure that given time, the pain will lessen and you will make more progress with the walking. After all it is a major operation and being the ankle it is carrying your bodyweight. I bet in a year's time your ankle will be a really good friend.

I wish you well and thank you for posting. I am sure this will help others who are at different stages with ankle operations.

I hope your weekend goes well,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    well done on you it always easy to try to speed recovery up and push to far you will get more improvement as time goes on and are doing well so far keep up good work val
    val
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Sounds very positive Rob. I had the arthrodesis instead of replacement. Have not had any physio due to wound healing but hopefully I can soon. Hope you continue to improve. I'm sure you will. We're the same age. Isn't it nice to be told by the orthos that we're young?? I was told that too. !!
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Rob

Thankyou for your update and to me that sounds pretty good, you should be pleased with yourself. I hope the more you get used to walking, that the pain gets less.

Take care and take it easy whenever possible

Juliepf x
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi Rob
    Been wondering how you were getting on,was going to PM you. Had my new ankle 5 months ago now.

I don't really know what our expectancies were as to degree of movement compared to the 'normal' ankle.Mine is about the same as yours i.e 50-60% (this is purely my own visual assessment,as you may remember I've had no physio so no one to carry out actual measurements).I had put the restriction of movement partly down to the swelling,which is still pronounced!Hopefully the swelling will subside to a degree over the next 6-12 months this is what I have been told.

Walking is no really problem within certain limits,take a stick for distance work though often hardly use it except on bumpy ground.Have walked up to 3-4 miles some weeks.Slopes and steps pose no real problem but still cautious on rutted surfaces.Speed is not too bad,normal pace is 3 times what it was immediately before the op (or about 75% of normal ie before the ankle became a problem,though unlikely to go the same distance at this speed as before!).Still get occasional slight ache and the odd twinge but nothing too terrible.

Hospital checked my ankle about a month ago and the bones etc were all in alignement and all seemed ok.Have my 6 month check up in a few weeks time when they said would carry out X ray,will wait and see what the outcome will be,though feel reasonably confident.

Hope things continue along the right path for you and all is well.

Regards
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Rob
    You really have done well, and Im so glad the xrays were ok, now you can relax a little, I am sure pain wise things will slowly improve...just remember your ankle takes most of your weight...you keep updating us..and I do wish you well .
    Love
    Barbara
  • sturge8
    sturge8 Member Posts: 164
    Can you tell me rob, how long they said this ankle replacement would last?

5, 10, 15, 20 years. I'm interested to know.
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    sturge8 wrote:
    Can you tell me rob, how long they said this ankle replacement would last?

5, 10, 15, 20 years. I'm interested to know.

Would be interested to know what they told Rob.I was told by the surgeon it could be in excess 15-20 years.UK records don't really go that far back and ankle replacement joints have become more reliable (previously they were expected to last 8-10 years).
    Ankle replacement surgery is becoming more common they are to be monitored by the NHS in terms of life expectancy (of the joint not the patient!).
    We do,of course,have a forum member whose joint is coming up for it's 9th birthday!
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • alpine
    alpine Member Posts: 7
    It looks as though, Rob and Ron, your posts were a while ago. I am new to this forum and am looking at a total ankle replacement in the near future. (totally freaked out by this!!) I was wondering how the two of you have been getting along with your new ankles now?
    Thank you,
    Alpine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    When people just disappear from the forum we never know whether it's good or bad news but, in the case of prefabkid, I remember things were going really well for him so I hope they still are.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Bumped up for Kareyan3.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright