Facebook users

Options
felicityorpin
felicityorpin Member Posts: 9
edited 14. Nov 2011, 10:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Today I received an email from my son who is in the know where computer virus hit. Do not open one that says invitation from Facebook, it is a huge virus that is going round worldwide, that is opened with the olympic torch. So be very wary.
I also learnt the other day how not to use up my battery on my laptop, and how not to have to pay £88 for a new one. Get someone to check your battery settings so that you battery is not used up, or trickle fed. If you never use your battery then remove it from your computer until you need it. Go into control panel and check your eneergy saving settings and make sure you have your battery settings checked.
Well this is only Monday and I have had some useful info already. Hope this may help some of you out there today.
Keep well and take care. :smile:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you for the heads-up Felicity, I would ignore anything from FB anyway as I want nowt to do with it! I never open anything I don't recognise but people do sometimes forget the basic safety thing, don't they? I am sure del is right as he knows stuff too, but it can be so hard to tell the real from the fake. I found the battery advice interesting, I do run mine right down on a regular basis but keep it in my laptop as I am often moving it round the house. I will check my settings later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • felicityorpin
    felicityorpin Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for your replies but, to some of us who are avid facebook readers with their friends and family overseas please give us credit for knowing how to use it. Properly used it is a great way of networking with your friends ONLY for free. Same for SKYPE. So I for one will keep on using it. Thanks
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Thank you Felicity its always worth a reminder to be vigilant about these things. I use FB for the same reasons as you.

C
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 14. Nov 2011, 10:57
    Options
    Thanks from me too Felicity. I welcome advice where fb is concerned, we are not all tech wizards.
    I also enjoy being in contact with old friends and also get to see what my family, specially my daughters are up to.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    it can be so hard to tell the real from the fake. DD

It's actually very easy, DD. Delboy uses Snopes and I use Hoax-slayer but they both say the same thing. Every time I get such a message I use hoax-slayer and I don't think I've ever had one that was true.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright