Imports, Duty & VAT

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 15. Nov 2011, 17:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
No really. I'm not spamming and there’s no subtle catch. That’s what I’m trying to pick your combined brains about. Basically, what I want to know is the cheapest – legal – means of getting a product into the UK, on to stores and customers.

My son, in USA, has come up with an innovative cricket coaching aid which can be produced very cheaply & there is some interest in it. By the time he’s paid duty & VAT the price goes up. But then there is the postal handling fee and more VAT (possibly x 2) and it ends up that, just to break even let alone make a small profit, the end cost becomes more than people would probably pay. Mr SW has spoken twice to ‘Rachel’ at the govt. site and still can’t fathom out what she’s saying. Any ideas? Or simple explanations for those unfamiliar with the language of such stuff?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Why not produce the item in the UK?

Sounds like a plan!!

Also trawling t interthing might help, no help from me im affraid :roll:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Why not produce the item in the UK?

Because he lives in California as does the guy who has patented the raw material & granted him sole rights to use it for cricket.

Import agents? Probably, but it seems the more hands it goes through the more VAT gets added.

Also, I've been trawling the %*&~&%* internet for a week! The interest is there but the add-ons are crazy.

Thanks for trying.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm impressed with your speed of though, rehab. It took us days to get to that point - not until he had an offer, in fact. The drawback is that they want to put their name to it and, as he's just trying to start up the business, it'd be much better for his publicity if it was his own name on it. I think it might have to happen, though.
    Steven Wright
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Well I cant be of help. Wishing him all the best.
    Hope you get royalties for the work you are doing :lol:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You must be joking, Clare - he's my son! (But we do get some good holidays.)
    Steven Wright
  • CJHunter
    Options
    After all those years of you supporting him you have earned that at least :lol::wink:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks for this rehab. In fact Mr SW has just come up with a site that says there is no import duty on 'cricket equipment other than balls' (Make up your own jokes) so that might help too. I'll send both on to him.

It's not organic and not a secret (as he has sole rights!) It's a sheet you put on your bat which registers each hit so the batsman can tell how his shots 'cluster' & if he's managing to hit the ball with the sweet spot.

As for US v UK. Well he lives there so no choice. The cricket establishment is very old f@rt but it is an acknowledged fact, I think, that innovation usually comes from the outer edges not the centre.

If your speed of thought is due to the drugs, did you have to pay VAT & import duty?
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I also have a Colombian friend. All she ever comes back with is a new boob job and laser eye surgery.

He's up & running! 50 ordered, with his own website url on, by the firm that wanted the franchise. He reckons if he's lucky, he might just break even on it but they're putting it in their catalogue which is about to go to press.
    Steven Wright
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Hi S.W, that is fantastic news, all the best for the venture s w family. :smile: xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg