Changes to the Motability scheme

mikeydarlo
mikeydarlo Member Posts: 5
edited 29. Nov 2011, 14:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
hello I’m new to this forum but ive come to spread the word about changes that you may or may not be aware of to the motability scheme.

The changes announced include:

■Limiting the range of vehicles available to cars with an Advance Payment of £2,000 or less, approximating to a Recommended Retail Price limit of circa £25,000. The changes to car selection take place immediately, although Motability will honour all existing orders and commitments, changes will be fully implemented in December 2011.

■Limiting the nominated drivers to those who live within 5 miles of the customer in order to minimise the risk of the car being used other than for the benefit of the disabled person

■Piloting new vehicle technologies to monitor how cars are used where the greatest risk of abuse is perceived.

■Requiring a Statement of Responsibilities to be signed at the beginning of each lease by the customer and nominated drivers together with the supplying motor dealer to ensure that the key responsibilities of each party have been communicated and are clearly understood.

■No longer accepting nominated drivers under the age of 21 on the Scheme from January 2012, unless they reside with the disabled customer.

■ Restricting young drivers under the age of 25 to cars in ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower which also have a power output of 115 BHP or less.

these changes will affect me and I’m sure they will affect many people on these forums as we arthritis suffers make up the vast majority of motability customers.

These changes seem to be a massive knee jerk reaction to negative media articles such as this piece of drivel by some newspapers.

so if you are not happy about the changes, ie motability telling you what you can spend your money on in the form of the advance payment then make sure you email them to voice your dissatisfaction. Go take a look at the price list on the motability website now, you’ll find for example the number of automatics is down from over 1000 to 300.

Make your voice heard

cheers

Comments

• mikeydarlo
    mikeydarlo Member Posts: 5
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    the facebook group is called

Motability ~ Stop Punishing Your Clients

and tho i "liked" it i did not create it
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Mikey

thanks for posting this.

Pretty depressing news. Makes sense when they are making it so difficult to get DLA as there will be less demand for new cars :sad:

Love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    To be fair to the scheme, the new limits do not impinge greatly on the cars most people lease through the scheme, they seem sensible in that they will help to keep the scheme alive by keeping their costs low and it still offers a choice of models.

I doubt if the scheme in its present form will survive budget cuts over the next five years. The claimant cull will start in 2013?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I partly agree Airwave. However the 5 mile limit bothers me. IF OH has an accident or walked out I would need someone who lives further than that to come and rescue me!

I read about these 'possible' changes a few months back when a newspaper printed about the brouhaha surrounding some ADHD kids getting mobility cars. They are going to be implimented a lot sooner than I thought!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    A good point about the 5 mile limit for insurance but then if you had to pay all those ten miles (there and back) over the lifetime of the car, the costs may make you think again ?

Surely the reason to need a car is lack of mobility?

I know of one 19 year old that got a lot of benefits, including housing, because of the amount of pot he smoked.
  • oldies
    oldies Member Posts: 66
    Delboy
    How do you get the vat taken off if you buy a car without using dla?i was talking to a friend and telling her i had read your post,we were wondering how you go about it.I know if you purchase help gdgets from the disabled shop you dont pay vat but had no idea the same went if you buy a car.
  • Airwave!
    I note the news on telly tonight, the budget cuts will not be applied to the disabled, we'll have to wait and see how that affects claimants.

I went round a few garages yesterday to see about replacing my car and by the time you filter out what cars are not suitable, there aren't many left without paying considerable sums in advance payment. Some of the cars have become unavailable since I looked a few days before going on my tour, two more have now been added but with bigger advance payment. I'm still not sure if I shall have another car, buses/hiring/taxis are not going to work. We shall see.