daughter and husband now been diagnosed

Options
liesa
liesa Member Posts: 821
edited 23. Nov 2011, 10:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Husband Steve and Daughter Terri have both now been diagnosed with RA, Steve has it in his hands and as he loves to ride his motorbike it kills his hands... he also has major pain getting on and off the bike, in his hip, the Dr said the Xrays for the hips were ok but its definately in his hands/fingers, think he has 'trigger' finger where the finger stays bent and he has to literally make it 'crack' to straighten it, hes now on naproxen and omaprazole, hes been diagnosed in the last 2 years with having type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure
Monday this week... he came downstairs ready for work he complained of a pain in his groin but neither thought anything of it... he then decided he need the loo prior to leaving for work he called me up to see what had happened... he had peed bright red blood not just a drop but quite a bit i called the Dr and got him seen within 30 mnutes so now being treated for a baldder infection (had to do speciman at Drs and he managed a dribble and that was very red)
i feel so sorry for him hes never had any health problems and now hes getting the lot and takes more tablets a day then me now...

my Daughter Terri lives on the 3rd floor 38 steps she has a daughter Summer aged 3 years and little Riley 8 months, Terris been complaining of pain n her hands elbows hips etc and blood tests now revealed she to has RA, i went to asda with her on monday and she was getting nasty pain lower left of her back and tingling down her leg i told her she needed to see the Dr as it sounds like sciatica, dont know how she manages to get up and down the stairs but she does it with so much pain.... she too is now on naproxen and omprazole shes reluctant to take it tho.... she also diagnosed with low calcium...

they now realise how much i have suffered over the years having had my 'arthritis' for 25 years....
not sure what i can do to help them...
love and hugs
8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So sorry to hear this , Liesa , odd how RA runs in families like that . I'm 3rd generation to have contracted this beast and after watching me put up with RA for 31 years ; our 3 kids decided to try and draw a line under it and none of them intend having children . Sad missing out on grandchildren , but mine was triggered by childbirth so understand and applaud the reasons for their decisions . Wish your family well ; you will be able to support each other through the ups and downs . Jillyb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh gosh Lisa..that is awful...life really isnt fair...your poor hubby must think he has been hit by a train...and your daughter and all those steps...I really dont know what to say...I just hope that your daughter can get a move to something lower...she must push for this.. poor thing...its bad enough having to get her daughter up the stairs.
    Has for hubby I suppose you can only be there for him, I wonder if they would come on here for support...we would gladly welcome them
    I do hope that things get easier for you all
    Sending you loads of gentle hugs...and wish I could take some of your worry away.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you know what you can do listen to them and give advice you have lived with it for a long time and have lots of experiance. the stairs sound awfull but with luck the meds will help did she ask doc about calsium supliment and have they got stomache protector to take as naproxen can cause problems make sure they eat a decent meal before taking look after your self and try not to worry about them plenty of hugs and chance to rest will be good for daughter lol val
    val
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    thanks Jillyb Barbara and Val, they both have omaprazole to take, but... i have been under the speech therapist for a couple of months as i have been 'hoarse' for around a year now he thinks alot of its caused by side effects of bp meds... dont wanna change them as i see it its better the devil u know kind of thing... the speeh therapist told me... o speek to my GP about coming off omaprazole as he had attended a conference and it was now thought that omaprazole should only be taken for no more then 1 month and only 20 mgs, very awkward... i've stopped it but worries me as im taking iron meds for anemia but GP advised to take it with orange juice thelast meds i had for it gave me such pains and upset tum but this one is ok... theres always something dont ya think???
    talking with u all makes it all seem so much more bearable, thanks again xxxxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    if you are getting pains in stomache ask if you can take a stomache protector you do not want stomache probs trouble with these meds is it trial and error i tried different anti inflam but floored me with a feeling my skull had shrunk so back to devil i know lol good luck val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, Liesa, what a blow for them - and for you. At least you know what's what and will be able to help and advise - should they choose to listen. You are all in for a tough time for a while, no? I wish you all well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben