It's not bye-bye humira.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Nov 2011, 06:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw my consultant today, at her request, after she read my file after the last rheumatology nurse appointment (where I was told that I was not cost-effectve enough to warrant being on the big H and that my ankles were fine). The outcomes are as follows:

I told her I have been oral-steroid free for a week - she was very happy about that.

I am to remain on humira.

The meth is to be increased to 17.5 come January with the aim of reaching 20 at some point. As I understand it this is designed to further support the H and it will mean going back onto fortnightly bloods for at least six months.

I will be given a DEXA scan, regardless of what the other consultant said.

My ankles do show changes, the right more than the left: I have two bone growths behind each, just under the Achilles tendon which she attributed to the PA and some joint narrowing on the top of each foot, just in front of the ankle.

As there is evidence of swelling and inflammation (despite the bloods showing none - I still don't get that :roll: ) so she gave me depo in my backside to help ease this.

The recent heel trouble is more than likely to be plantar fascitis.

Come January I also have to resume an anti-inflammatory and omep to help the OA part of everything.

She was happy with me, I'm kinda happy with me but oh boy, am I tired now. I did not have a good night what with one thing and another. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• joon51
    joon51 Member Posts: 221
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    DD well done you have done what you said off the pred, I know how hard it can be, I'm still on 5mg not seeing rheumy doc till late January. I was surprised to read you were on 15mg of steroids as you know I have started self injecting I am already on 20mg, I was taking 25mg tablet form, we are all different I know. Pleased that they decided to keep you on H as I know you were not keen to give it up.

Take Care Junexx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi DD

I am so pleased that todays appointment went well. It sounds like you had a really good chat and sorted out some queries.

I am also very proud that you have managed to come off the steroids. You did this very steady and within the time limit you set yourself :grin:

I hope when you increase your meth and start your different anti imflams that 2012 will be a much healthier year for you.

You go rest now and have a well earned cuppa

Take care
    Love Juliepf x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi DD

Wonderful to hear that you have had a good appointment today.

You have done so well to get off the steroids.

All in all a good day for you and I can imagine you feel bushed.

Glass of vino tonight perhaps? :wink::smile:

Hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Hi DD,
    You should be really proud of yourself....getting off the steroids.
    Sounds like you had a really good appointment but I'm not surprised your bushed.
    Hope Mr DD is doing dinner....if not I can always send John...but be warned ...he dosen't like anyone helping...even if you just stand there and tell him you would do it different.
    It's his recipe book...or do it yourself.
    Hope you've got your feet up.Take care. May
  • dreamdaisy
    Alas kellerman, Mr DD is not around in the week to chef due to that tiresome thing called work, but he will be in later to appreciate the delights of my lasagne (which are few and varied :roll: ) He does chef on Saturdays and Sundays however, for which I am very grateful. It was never decided as such, we've just fallen into that routine.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement, I do appreciate them. I forgot to mention that I am also to stay on the Citalopram to help with the pain relief: Dr L understood my reluctance to over-do the current duller regime as things will - as she put it - get worse, so we both reckon it's best not to run out of options just yet. I haven't tramadolled for a long time, I prefer to grit my teeth and push on, as that will (I think) give me better physical feedback on not over-doing things.

elna? The first glass is going down a treat! :grin: DD
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Well DD enjoy...whatever it is your drinking.
    I consider myself extremely lucky..as John is retired...or he thought he was.He just took the kitchen over much to my surprise...youngest daughter was speechless.
    I seriously appreciate him.I might joke about it from time to time but he has been a real treasure.I haven't given up cooking altogether and hope to take the kitchen back when my sister gets over her next op.
    Lovely to here from you again...now rest,but not before you have another glass. May
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    dd well done, that is great news you should be so proud of your self i know how hard it has been val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    DD
    is pred-free!!!!!

Congratulations, you dark horse. That's a terrific achievement and I hope you are as proud of yourself as we all are.

I call that a good appointment. There are no certainties in this arthritic world but I think your rheumatologist has come up with a good plan. I'll drink to that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    I am so pleased things went the way they did DD.

And hopefully as a result you will have a less worrisome night.

Love Tillyxxx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Well done , DD , good to hear how well your appointment went ; and very well done for giving up the monstrous preds . So pleased you're staying with the humira - it doesn't do a lot but it surely must help to ease things . Enjoy your evening , love to you and Mr DD . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    I guess it does more than I give it credit for, Jilly. I was promised all sorts of wondrous things (no sticks, less pills, no dullers) and none of that has come to pass, but it has meant stone cold, un-inflated knees for all the time I've been on it, plus miraculous blood results. I have not had a proper flare for some time (when I thought I might be it usually turned out to be an infection) so that is a positive. The OA creeping in under the radar has bu**ered everything up, hence the need to re-start an anti-inflam and so the omep. Grrrrr. I can only presume that the OA inflammation is a different beast to the PA kind - the depo I had yesterday has eased the hands and my right ankle, whereas before it altered nothing.

I am at odds with myself (which is not a pleasant feeling) because I want more than the meds can give. Ungrateful cow, DD, that's what you are. There are people longing to start an anti-TNF 'cos they are sure it will help and you are on one and are not satisfied by what it's achieved. Yup, ungrateful sums it up. :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    The depo's wearing off. :roll: Never mind, at least yesterday was pleasant. DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    DD, sorry to hear the depo is wearing off. Glad you at least had one good day. Good news about not going off the big H and just amazing that you've been able to come off the oral steriods. You really are a very heroic lady! x
  • dreamdaisy
    Heroic? Moi? Non. Bloody-minded and donkey-like stubborn, that's all. I've had a letter from the consultant today (unusually for me I asked to be copied in to this one) and it basically tells the GP I require a different anti-inflammatory - reeeeeeeesult! :grin: It also states in black and white that I am to be given a DEXA scan to ascertain the state of the bones to determine whether I need to resume the alendronic acid - Dr L is concerned that all the pred may well have had a deleterious effect, and so am I. :sad: The two major downsides of that appointment are back to fortnightly bloods - dummy spit - and the possibility of resuming that time-consuming and nausea-creating drug. :evil