The dangers of feeding you ID

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 25. Nov 2011, 10:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
Have you ever noticed that some people can give it but can't take it, they are oddly normally people who say they have a broad and adult mind and espouse the virtue of such intelligence and rail against people who aren't and are in their mind a petty and bitter lot who hold grudges but then if they get upset they do the dammed same thing as those they despise for being petty by holding childish grudges .

Manners maketh the man or so they say.
It's also true you can judge a man by what he says, or in some cases by what he doesn't say, doing nothing is also an action that can be as loud and as powerful as anyone who is shouting abuse. Both are really the same by from different directions both are a negative mindset.
You can attack or even kill someone by simply ignoring them just as well as you can by assault them physically or verbally, but in the end both are a very negative trait that needs to be avoided, if you don't then you will feed your negativity, and so with time your inner bitterness grows even thought you don't see or sense it but it's there all right and it will start to make you more intolerant as time goes by.
And it will start to manifest itself at first by throwing teddy out over little infractions you'll start going off on your own and not talking to anyone and brooding over the smallest of things said or done against you.
In time you will start to alienate others around you as the inner bitterness grows and grows, if you do nothing about it sooner or later you could well end up with no friends at all a real Billy no mates simply because you fed your ID rather than control it. In the end when it's really taken hold you will come to believe your right 100% of the time and everyone else around you is a moron.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Isn't there something in the Bible about removing specks and planks? i.e. deal with your intolerances first before you start banging on about those of others. Surely 'treat as you would be treated' is a good maxim for us all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    Options
    Could well b DD not sure though don't read the bible we had it (the bible) rammed down our throats at school so I'm not a fan of said book came over as a rather tall and boring story that meant nothing to an 8 year old why do adults think it should beats me the only thing I can think of it was a simple attempt to brain wash us same as they do in the Madrasa's these days. All that sitting there for hours on end rocking back and forth while reciting the Quran until the nippers remember it word for word is kind of the same only more extreme. That said I've wanted to have a go at reading it for some time just to see what I'm missing.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I won't say much about it as I am not a believer, but it does contain great wisdom about the human condition because, fundamentally, no matter what your race, creed, colour, belief system or whatever, we are all the same: human beings. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    interesting post mel and very true of lots of people i have come accross the glass is always half empty nothing pleases them any more they miss out on life and only have them selves to blame turn the other cheek might not be easy but it helps make the world go around. val
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Mel. you once used a phrase which I remember- that we should all just learn to swim with the dolphins, ie. remain calm, open-minded, free-thinking, and tolerant.

Throughout life, we all meet intolerant, petty-minded people, but I have learned that the best thing to do is to rise above them and not to let their negativity affect me. You will never change them anyway because they always think they are 100% right in all circumstances.

Now if I meet someone like that, I just feel sorry for them and swim with the dolphins.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Mel. you once used a phrase which I remember- that we should all just learn to swim with the dolphins, ie. remain calm, open-minded, free-thinking, and tolerant.

Throughout life, we all meet intolerant, petty-minded people, but I have learned that the best thing to do is to rise above them and not to let their negativity affect me. You will never change them anyway because they always think they are 100% right in all circumstances.

Now if I meet someone like that, I just feel sorry for them and swim with the dolphins.

well put and drives them potty if you give a small smile they just do not understand where you are coming from lol
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    Ooooh them there dolphins Joan yeah their the kiddies swim with them and it all seems so less annoying, to be honest I could do with a swim with them myself, I've had 3 and a half years of work issues now need to unplug and chill out a bit more, thing is it's not over just yet still waiting for HR to pull their finger out also I still have that s**t of a line manager hanging around like a bad smell to deal with.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Have you ever noticed that some people can give it but can't take it, they are oddly normally people who say they have a broad and adult mind and espouse the virtue of such intelligence and rail against people who aren't and are in their mind a petty and bitter lot who hold grudges but then if they get upset they do the dammed same thing as those they despise for being petty by holding childish grudges .

Manners maketh the man or so they say.
    It's also true you can judge a man by what he says, or in some cases by what he doesn't say, doing nothing is also an action that can be as loud and as powerful as anyone who is shouting abuse. Both are really the same by from different directions both are a negative mindset.
    You can attack or even kill someone by simply ignoring them just as well as you can by assault them physically or verbally, but in the end both are a very negative trait that needs to be avoided, if you don't then you will feed your negativity, and so with time your inner bitterness grows even thought you don't see or sense it but it's there all right and it will start to make you more intolerant as time goes by.
    And it will start to manifest itself at first by throwing teddy out over little infractions you'll start going off on your own and not talking to anyone and brooding over the smallest of things said or done against you.
    In time you will start to alienate others around you as the inner bitterness grows and grows, if you do nothing about it sooner or later you could well end up with no friends at all a real Billy no mates simply because you fed your ID rather than control it. In the end when it's really taken hold you will come to believe your right 100% of the time and everyone else around you is a moron.

Give us an example Mell?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Wasn't it you Mr R. who said you were looking for a fight? I think you mentioned it twice on AC in the past week. Would you be one of those Mell is referring too?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    If we swam with the dolphins during World War 2 we'd have been invaded. Sometimes you have to fight for what is right...

I get the feeling some of you don't like a taste of your own medicine.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    If we swam with the dolphins during World War 2 we'd have been invaded. Sometimes you have to fight for what is right...

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, I think you have misunderstood what I meant by the phrase,''swim with the dolphins''. I take it to mean that we should try to be free-spirited and tolerant, go with the flow, and not let petty, unimportant things get to us.

I agree that it's sometimes necessary to fight for what is right, but it's not worth worrying about petty issues which in the grand scheme of things are of zero importance.

I try to let such things wash over me, and I retain my sense of humour at all times. It does help to put things in perspective.

Joan
  • valval
    Options
    if we spend to much time worrying about the things that do not matter we do not have the energy for the things that are important it a matter of deciding what worth using you energy on. val
    val
  • tkachev
    edited 25. Nov 2011, 06:34
    Options
    Sorry Joan it wasn't aimed at you. It is good to swim with the dolphins but on the whole the thread is suggesting we shouldn't have an opinion on anything.

I just want to keep away from name-calling and suggesting posters are boring. It would be much nicer on here if we were polite when we disagreed. I've seen too many comments which try to ridicule rather than address the issues so thought it was time to mention it.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth
    What?????? A tad early to be necking the sherry Liz :lol:

I'm a Baileys girl.....

E

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Sorry Joan it wasn't aimed at you. It is good to swim with the dolphins but on the whole the thread is suggesting we shouldn't have an opinion on anything.

I just want to keep away from name-calling and suggesting posters are boring. It would be much nicer on here if we were polite when we disagreed. I've seen too many comments which try to ridicule rather than address the issues so thought it was time to mention it.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, are you looking at the right thread because I can't see anything on here which is suggesting that posters are boring :?:

Sometimes I think that comments in posts which are meant to be satirical and joking are misunderstood by the reader. I haven't noticed any name-calling or ridicule, but some of your recent posts are rather challenging in tone.

We are all adults, so should be able to engage in discussion in a mature, friendly manner. As I said, it's important to retain a sense of humour, and take some posts with a pinch of salt. Swim with the dolphins, or go with the flow is my motto :grin:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    rehab44 wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth
    What?????? A tad early to be necking the sherry Liz :lol:

I'm a Baileys girl.....

E

That's more like it, Elizabeth :lol: Keep smiling :grin:
  • tkachev
    Options
    I'm always smiling Joan.
    So what is this thread about? I did ask but go no reply.
    E

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein