Q for those who have arthritis in hands/wrists/elbows

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 25. Nov 2011, 07:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening everyone,

A flying visit from Sophie who would like to apologise again for her silence on the boards. I do visit and think of you all but life is keeping me on my toes. Not literally I might add, my poor feet are cringing at the thought!

I haven't driven since before my RA diagnosis. I didn't really have a need for a car but I do now. My walking is getting worse and not being able to drive is very disabling. I was wondering how people find driving when they have arthritis in their hands and/or wrists and/or elbows. I struggle with griping objects and wonder if other people have any issues and how they overcome them. Obviously, I'm not planning on rushing out and buy a car. I'm going to have some refresher lessons first but would like to be nicely prepared.

Thanks for reading and sending oodles of love to all of you wonderful people.

Sophie x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good to see you again, Starburst. Please don't apologise for being busy at uni. That's the whole idea!

In the days when I drove a car I solved most hand problems by getting the handbrake adapted to a pullon/push off one. Also, some cars are easier than others. I tried a steering wheel knob but only succeeded in almost wrapping the car round a tree when I got to the end of my reach shortly before I got the knob to the top of the wheel position. I also had my key on one of those large, plastic disabled holders so it was much easier to hold and turn. The hardest bit was adjusting the rear view mirror after Mr SW had been using it. Simple solution - keep it for yourself! Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    On the better days I drive and on the poorer ones I don't. The latter are now outnumbering the former but hey-ho, that matters not. I have always enjoyed driving and always will - even if I may not be able to do it anymore. There are adaptations available, but that is very much a matter of personal choice. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DD has just reminded me of something by saying she drives less now. I gave up my car when my sons left home. I discovered that when I was no longer taxiing them around, and therefore not driving daily, things hurt much more when I did drive as the relevant muscles weren't getting enough use in between. Use it or lose it, as they say.
    Steven Wright
  • SheilaD
    SheilaD Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Think about an Automatic its less strain on your arms and hand as you dont have to change gears. Steering can be a bit tricky if your having a bad day with your hands/wrist, but that would apply to a Manual.

Sorry I don't have anything better to say about it.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I had to switch to an automatic and as others have said drive less and less these days. I find after a trip out I am shattered so not able to drive home, which limits me. poor hubby gets the job more and more.
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Hi Sophie I struggle with the hand break, putting in petrol and pulling the door closed..I have thought of creating a loop to help pull it shut but there is nothing to put it on.
    small parking spaces make it difficult to get in and out of the car, so consider the blue badge.
    hope you get some useful suggestions.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Sophie,

i live in a rural area and without the car i couldn't stay here cus now where is near and there is no public transport.

its not megga comfortable to drive but this car is an auto and got fps and both of those help no end so see whats out there and then what is most comfortable before you get one i you can. i get what i can afford but would rather not go back to a manual really now.

good to see you again though flower and good luck. Cris x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It certainly has given me food for thought. I did mean to mention it in my initial post but I would definitley go for an automatic.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Just read through this, Starburst. It never occurred to me to mention that I didn't even consider anything other than an automatic.
    Steven Wright