Newbie!!

Options
annalou
annalou Member Posts: 38
edited 27. Nov 2011, 01:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I am new to all this! Hope I get it right! I've been lurking for quite a while now. I'm a 38yr old working mum.

I have all the signs and symptoms of RA but just recently had blood tests which apparently came back normal (??) but the doctor has referred me thankfully to the Rheumatologist and I have an appointment on 19th December.

I have finger, hand and wrist pain and my feet are something else!! At times I struggle to walk and drive and they constantly feel bruised at night when I'm trying to sleep!! My elbows get sore at times too and also my lower back, sometimes it's almost impossible to turn over and get out of bed, thankfully though not too bad at the moment.

I've been having problems noticeably since giving birth in 2007 and just put it down to hormones but finally plucked up the courage to see the doctor about it a month ago, particulary as painkillers don't seem to make a difference and trying to manage a 4yr old and 20 month old is hard work!

It really helps reading other peoples experiences and although I'm not official yet with diagnosis, I can definately relate. I must admit I am scared to get a diagnosis, if that makes sense lol!

Comments

• SheilaD
    SheilaD Member Posts: 201
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Annalou

Welcome to the forum. Glad your GP has refered you to Rheumatology. At least if they diagnose you you know what your dealing with. Sorry you are in so much pain, I know your scared, everyone is of going into the unknown. But sooner you are diagnosed maybe they start you on medication.

I have just had scans which show RA (Radiologist told me) but off to see consultant this afternoon to discus scans and have a whole list of questions for him. :smile:

I am sure others will reply to you on here, they are brilliant at making you feel at home.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx
  • annalou
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :smile: , hope you get on OK and your consultant answers all your questions, I'm making a list to take with me too!

Annalou xx
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Welcome.

I have only had RA for a couple of years, but it is a big shock when you first get diagnosied.

You might be asked to get a couple of xrays done, this is normal, I have an exray done on my right hand side (which is where the RA is everytime I go).

Depending on what medication you get, you might also get asked to have a chest xray, again this is normal, as they want to make sure that your lungs can cope with the medication.

Hope it goes well for you at the appointment. Any questions regarding meds etc just us.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    welcome yes it makes sence it is half of you wanting it to be because then there a reason for all the exhaustion and pain but the other half is scared of what it all meens i still waiting for a propper name for mine only got as far as inflimation arther lol but as never any swelling when have an appointment he does not stand much chance
    keep pics of swelling pain diary and take some one with you good luck val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Annalou

welcome to the forum and glad you found it.

bloods don't always show too much so its good your seeing a rumo and its not long to the 19th when hopefully you will get some real help and start to feel more comfortable. not sleeping is the pits.

a list is a good idea and hope that between now and then your gp has given you something to help with the pain and the inflammation?

i have trouble getting in and out of bed so have raised it up on 6" block. makes it a lot easier but the turning over thing, i no longer can without the use of every bit of me so seem to always wake laid flat and for me thats the worst position to be in. i used to be able to use things to stop me rolling over on the back but they don't seem to stop me now but its worth trying stuff to help keep your self comfortable.

hang in there and hopefully the rumo will be able to really help you. nice to meet you Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi annalou, it's good to meet you though I am sorry you have had to join us. I'm an oldie at arthritis (and I guess on here too) and I know from what I have read on here that at least a couple of ladies had their inflammatory arthritis triggered by pregnancy/childbirth but really who knows what can set these things off? RA is usually diagnosed via the bloods showing what is called a positive rheumatoid factor (RF) but there are versions of this which have a negative RF - I have one of those and now OA to boot. You don't have much longer to wait now - if you've been lurking I am sure you have read about keeping a diary of symptoms etc and I hope you are doing just that as it will help the rheumatologist get a better, fuller picture of how you are being affected. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • annalou
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and for making me feel so welcome :smile: I guess is just's a matter of dosing up on ibuprofen and paracetemol, the GP said he could give me steroids but that they would mask my symptoms for when I see the Consultant so I'm plodding on, ouch!

xx Annalou
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too,

I am 32 and my symptoms started last sep, my bloods were ok too, it was a bone scan that showed i have an inflammatory arthritis..

If you can do a diary between now and when you go it might help the rheumy..

Things can improve with treatment, hope all goes well and let us know how you get on..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi annalou, Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it and find answers to all your questions, lookforward to reading your posts in the future. Welcome again!
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Annalou,
    Welcome to the forum, as Tracy and DD have said start keeping a diary of you day to day symptoms for your appointment on the 19th it does help them with the diagnosis and they may well refer you to the podiatrist for insoles for your feet. I have them and they do make all the difference. Try and ware sensible shoes in the mean time and keep away from flip flop slippers, I know not stylish but when your feet hurt needs must. :roll:

Keep in touch and let us know how things go on for you.

Lv, I x
  • annalou
    Options
    Thanks I, comfy shoes all the way here, but I must admit I never thought about the flip flops in that way, which I live in during the Summer, hmm I'm going to have to re-think, thanks for the advice!

xx Annalou
  • millie78
    millie78 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hi annalou welcome to these boards I've only recently joined and everyone has been so helpful here. It's nice to meet other mums I have children aged 8, 5, 2 and 9mths. I have ra and like u showed first symptoms 8 yrs ago after childbirth. I'm glad u mention feet because I too suffer with an assortment of pain in my feet which I hadn't told my rheumy about but I just beginning to think its all ra related. I've noticed one foot is disfigured now does anyone know if ra does that?
    Look forward to chatting with u.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Annalou

gp's don't understand arthritis very well sometimes... some are very good and some just don;t get it. on the hole rumo's are very kind and very understanding. its not long till your seen so i think dosing up on the ibruffin and paracetamol till your seen is probably the better idea.

if you go to the top of the page and click on about arthritis there is a huge amount of info and exercises etc that might help you understand it all a bit. i honestly believe in 'know they enemy' :lol:

hang in there and its not too long now to the rumo appointment and don;t for get we do half decent pocket duties. Cris x