Bad time with Arthritus

Options
bigstu
bigstu Member Posts: 14
edited 27. Nov 2011, 06:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Sorry it has been a while since i have been on, and be prepared, as this might be quite a long post lol.
I am just back out of hospital, i was released late last night. I was admitted in, as my knees were extreamly sore, to the point that i could almost not walk at all. After many tests, the symtoms, or cuase seems to have been from several other factors, being that i seem to now have a bad hip, which clicks, when i move my legs in particular ways, and the pain from the is traveling to my knees down my right hand side.
My Arthritus has also severly flared up due to the pain, as well as stress and depression. I was in hospital from Monday for tests and bed rest.
I feel that although i have only been home from aobut 9 - 10 oclock last night (cant remember exact time) that things are going down hill again. I feel that i am alreadyd getting stressed out, and my legs are getting really sore again.
I have been waiting on several months now to get a banister in my house sorted from the council, which i found out was done while i was in hospital. On my return, i found that they still have fitted a incorrect banister, which is of a different size, thickness, depth to the one on the other side of the stairs, after i have been on at them for months to match them both up.
I still have not got all my benefits sorted out yet, as they seem to be taking for ever and, i also dont think my partner (soon to be wife) understands the issues i have to the full extent, although i have tried discussingthem with her, but at times i think that she thinks i am pulling a fast one, and exagerating the truth when im not. All this does not help my stress, which in turn is causing my severe pain to come back, and i am worried that i might end back in hospital which i dont want, as i never got to see my son when i was in.
During visituing times when in hospital, my parter and son came in for a visit, with thanks to my father in law who brought them in as Heather (my partner) does not drive yet. They were with me only for a few minutes, before a porter came and took me away for xrays and ultrasounds of my hip, hands and all my joints. By the time i got back to my room, visiting time was over, and my father in law, parter and son had left. This hit me really hard, and i am not getting to the situation that i do not know what to do.
I am just reaely sore at the moment and very tired, and i am getting to a loss as to who i can turn to for more help. I have already got a welfare officer helping although all the paperwork side of things seems to be taking ages, and the doctors can not do anything else for my hip and pain, as i am already taking 2 types of morphine a day to help the pain as well as various other types of pain killers and drugs.
I just do not know what to do now. I felt taht if i wrote this all out and got it off my chest that it may help.

Regards
Stuart

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, you are going through the mill at the moment, aren't you? It was unfortunate that you did not get to see your lad when you were in, that was bad timing for the tests etc wasn't it? On the plus side, you are out now and hopefully able to see more of him. I am sure Heather is equally stressed about matters at the moment - arthritis etc hits everyone around us, albeit in different ways and it is not always that easy for partners etc to feel involved, useful or helpful. Arranging benefits etc can (and often does) take a while but at least you have someone to help you, so that is a good thing. As for the banister, well OK, it doesn't match but surely in the grand scheme of things - and given everything else that is going on - that is a minor irritation: deal with that when the rest is sorted, and be prepared to have the older one altered to match the newer one.

Take some time out, Stuart. Rest, be gentle with yourself, don't fret about stuff you cannot alter and work on improving your health as much as you can. Be constant with taking the pain relief, that may help to ease more rather than using it only when things are bad, and I hope things get better for you, and Heather, soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    HI Stuart

Arthritis Care operates a free, confidential helpline.
    Many people find them very helpful.
    I have put their contact details below.

regards
    Moderator AN

Contact Arthritis Care Helplines:
    By phone: 0808 800 4050 (10am-4pm weekdays)
    By email: Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk
    By letter: Helplines team, Arthritis Care, 18 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HD
    (NB the Arthritis Care helpline is open from 10am to 4pm weekdays only)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Stuart
    I really do feel for you, stress is not good has you know,I hope you ring the helpline, they are so helpful.
    I do hope that you get some relief very soon, and Im so glad you have been able to talk to us lot, like you say it is good to get everything off your chest,and dont forget we are always here.
    Wishing you well with everything
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi stuart
    you sound so down and with good cause i am so sorry it is all so bad you say you are getting married and your wife to be does not belive you well i think you need to sort this first have you taken her to consultant apponitments with you to help her understand she will need to so she can give you the suport you need.
    benifits to be honest do not recive any but if like most benifits they will make you wait as long as they can so try to stay stress free and come share with us as much as you need val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Stuart,

oh i do fell for you cus thats so much there to upset and worry you. think the mod's idea of the helplines is a good one cus at least them you can say it to a human being and say it out loud as that will help relive the pressure.

i am sorry about your banister... not sure what you can do about it though.... ring them and ask i guess?

sometimes its better to look one day at a time and i know its a stupid thing to say but try and cal down and relax cus stress will rev things even further.

its good that you and Heather are able to talk and maybe some leaflets about arthritis could help her understand better? you can download some from the sight and well Stu all i can do is say this lot are good listeners and hang in there. i hope tomorrow will start to see some improvements for you. Cris x
  • bigstu
    bigstu Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you for your replies. Today, i am feeling slightly better in my mind, although my hands legs and back ache. I have already taken my morphine and paracetamol this morning, so i am hopeing that will kick in soon, and help releave some of the pain. I am going to try and take one day at a time, and see how things go.

I will always try and keep a eye on this site, but it is not always easy, it all depends on how i feel, and if i am able to use teh computer lol..

Speak to you all soo though

Regards
    Stuart
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Stuart, I wanted to say when I was going through a bad flare up and was at the end of my tether I rang the Arthritis Care Helpline and they listened to me and really helped me I 100% reccomend you call them.
    I hope things get easier for you soon and that the pain settles down. As you say just take one day at a time, I do.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Stu, it's a couple of days later now and I hope you are feeling brighter than you were. Is the pain relief helping any better? I am sure that stress adds to pain and affects our abilities to deal with it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben