Valid reason to phone hospital Rheumy helpline??

Options
Rosycheeks
Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
edited 26. Nov 2011, 09:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all :)

I was due to see my rheumy last month but recieved a letter telling me it was cancelled and I am now on a waiting list. My GP says there are no other painkillers he can give me (I have co-codamol 30/500 and celecoxib) and I am having a terrible time with my hips. Particularly the right hip and over the last few days I am really struggling to walk. So do you think if I phone the rheumatology helpline at my local hospital for some advice/help that I will be wasting their time? They are obviously very busy and I dont want to bother them if the helpline is for more serious problems.

Thanks guys :???:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rosy

I would not worry about phoning the helpline, just do it. You are worried and in pain and your last appointment was cancelled with no new date given. I think your problem is serious enough if you cannot walk and the meds are doing nothing to help.

Take the plunge, pick up the phone.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jayney44
    jayney44 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Rosy.

Sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment. :sad:

You certainly should get in touch with yr rheumy team. You obviously need some help from them. Don't waste energy worrying about whether to phone them or not. Do it today!! Don't allow yourself to suffer any longer.

I rang mine yesterday and was invited in today to see a dr. They won't think you're a nusance.

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Gentle Hugs

Jayne xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    You won't be wasting their time. You are in pain. Good luck

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi Rosie, I always find when I am in doubt, its always time the time to ring!!!! Its like admitting thats how bad things have got.

Ring them, and ask them for some help. Your gp sounds out of his depth. I hope they get back to you quickly.

(((hugs)))
  • Rosycheeks
    Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hey all :) Thank you for your replies.

I phoned yesterday afternoon and left a message and one of the rheumy nurses called back this afternoon. Went through what was going on at the moment and she said she was going to discuss it at a team meeting with the rheumatologist on wednesday. She said maybe they would want to add another drug to the Leflunomide. She was very kind and asked me if I could cope until Wednesday... well I dont really have much choice :lol: But im sure I can. If it was not my hips playing up it would be my knees or my hands... You all know the way it goes :wink:

xxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    never be afraid to ask for help it what they are there for hope they get you more help val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Rosy,

glad you did phone them and hope they will get back to you really soon after wens. take it easy till them though and i hope it will hurt you a bit less for the next few days. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Well done you Rosycheeks

you did the right thing and it is proven by the positive response!

well done and ROLL on wednesday

Love

toni xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Glad you phoned and I hope they help you on Wedsnesday and that you can manage till then.