Back from Rheumy appt

Options
SheilaD
SheilaD Member Posts: 201
edited 28. Nov 2011, 05:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Just back from Rheumatolgist appt. He has confirmed I have RA but they have caught it early. :smile: I have had a Steroid injection in my unmentionable lol and they have started me on Methotrexate 10mg. I have to see the Nurse in 4 weeks time and have more blood tests.
I am just so relieved that it was not all in my head. He listened carefully to my questions and answered them all to my understanding. Will keep you all informed how I get on.

Love n hugs
SheilaD xx

Comments

• fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ooh, seems a day for getting diagnoses. Good and bad news for you as well, good having a definate diagnosis I mean.

Good luck with the meds, I hope they start to work quickly and you get some relief from your pain.

Please let us know how you get on and best wishes.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sheila
    Im am glad you have had a proper diagnosis, now you can start your treatment and move on, its part of the battle to get someone to take you seriously and you have done it.
    I really do wish you well with your treatment, and please let us know how it goes. x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am so glad that you have found out so early what is what - let's hope that as they have caught it early enough the meth is enough to do the trick! You must be feeling quite relieved, if not a little wrung out: I hope you sleep well tonight. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SheilaD
    Options
    Thank you for your good wishes everyone, I have mixed emmotions at the moment. Everything seemed to go very quick today being diagnosed and put straight onto meds my head is spinning lol. Yes I am one of the lucky ones being diagnosed early and have my brilliant GP to thank for the quick referrals.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    great news now they can slow dammage down it great news if you have to have it at least you are getting the treatment straight away val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I can well understand your mixed emotions, Sheila. Suddenly going onto meds that necessitate constant monitoring of various bits of you must seem like a huge step. But the good thing is that you will be well monitored and they have caught it quickly. I've been on meth for over 10 years and had no problems with it. I hope it works as well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Star2001
    Star2001 Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi Sheila. It's good that your treatment has already started and I hope it does great things for you. I know it's not a diagnosis anyone would want but all we can do is whatever they advise us to do. You're another one who will be feeling mentally exhausted tonight I imagine!
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi Sheila,

Great news-as in your diagnosis that is!

You must be so relieved. Hope your treatment starts to work for you,

Take care,

Magenta x
  • SheilaD
    Options
    Just thought I would let you know. I took my 1st dose of Methotrexate at 5pm last. I had mixed feelings about what it was going to do. Had my tea and rested up for the evening. When I finally got up to go to bed I thought that was easier, but thought its all in my mind. Anyway got up this morning after an unbroken sleep and have definately noticed a marked improvement in both pain and stiffness :smile: I could have cried with relief, 1st morning I have been able to get out of bed and not concentrate putting one foot in front of the other. Just hope now it continues to improve, side effects non really just a bit of a queasy tum but i can cope with that.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Glad you have been diagnosed quickly, I think the worst part of it is not knowing!

I started on Meth 10g and I am now up to 25g. Its a great drug and has certainly let me get on with my normal way of life.

Don't worry if you start to feel yucky with the Meth, it will pass, I take a folic acid tablet the day after to help with this. But I also find taking a mint works as well.

Hope this helps you going forward.
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Sheila
    Glad you now have a diagnosis and have started treatment.I have been on methotrexate for several years and has given excellent control and no side effects even from day 1.Started on 10mg once a week with 5mg folic acid 24 hrs later.After all these years am only on 12.5mg weekly.Guess you will have regular blood tests,but these become just part of the routine.
    All the best
    Ron x
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi that sounds great and to work so fast lets hope it carries on getting better val
    val
  • annalou
    annalou Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Sheila, glad to see that you have had your diagnosis and started medication, from here onwards and upwards lets hope! It must be a relief. I know what you mean about feeling it's all in your head as that's how I feel alot of the time!!

xx Annalou
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Sheila,
    I am so pleased that you have taken your first dose of mtx...it is always the most scary one. Fear of the unknown is the worst. So well done you.

Fingers crossed that things continue to improve for you.

Lv, I x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Sheila

I am glad (but sorry) about your diagnosis but really pleased that you have been able to start the meth straight away and with no problems.

Long may it continue.

Thinking of you.

Love Tillyxxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Shelia,

glad they have caught it early and hope the mtx works well for you. its good to know whats going on and i think a lot of us have at times felt it was in our heads as well.

Toni (frogmorton) also asked me to pa her good luck to you as well, she couldn't get on and just wanted you to know she is thinking of you. ((( ))) from us both and a hope. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Thanks Cris...we were and are both thinking about you Sheila

Love

toni xx
  • SheilaD
    Options
    Aww Thank you everyone for your support and good wishes. I have not had to take any co codamol today or anti inflammatories and have not wished I had. The swellings have gone down a lot today I canot believe it. Still an odd twinge here and there but something I can deal with. However, I have spent most the day in the bathroom :oops: and was wondering if this could be a side effect of Methotrexate or the Steroid injection they gave me in my bottom which I was told lasts for 3 months.

Once again Thank you all for your support and good wishes and hope everyone a peaceful night.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Sheila

oops!! Not nice that MTX can make some feel v sicky and nauseaous for sure....

Glad you are feeling so well - sounds like the steroid jabs work for you! Fantastic!

Long may it last.

Love

Toni xx
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hello neighbour :grin: just down the road in Batley.
    I hope this as solved your problems and eased that horrible pain.
    Do you go to the LGI?
    I go to an all lady team at Staincliffe Dewsbury hospital and they are out of this world for giving you help.
    I started on 20mg. a day of methotrexate and now down to 7.5 mg.
    If your new to the drug don't forget the folic on the day you don't take the M. this is very important, if you take the folic by mistake don't take the M till the next day, but they should have told you all that.
    I do hope I am helping with my info, but always check with your GP, because what they do for me could be entirely different for someone else.
    I now take a superdrug called rituximab, and have now been in remission 12 months, if you get to the point of having this drug it has been brilliant for me.
    All the best for the future, if I can help you at all feel free to ask me.

Arfa
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Sheila, how goes it all now? I think the rapid positive reaction is more to do with the steroid jab than the meth, as the latter can take a while to get into the system whereas steroids are usually fast-acting (if they're going to work, that is). I am so pleased to hear that you have been able to drop the pain relief, that must be a great feeling and I hope it lasts. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SheilaD
    Options
    Got up this morning and guess what the pain is back :roll: I have taken my co codamol and hope this takes the edge off. Yes, I think it could have been the steroid injection initially that took the pain away. As for the Meth I have felt sickly all weekend but have eventually stopped needing the bathroom urgently :oops: I am going to have to ring the rheumatology dept as on my last visit they gave me blood forms but cant remember whether I should have bloods done before i see the Nurse in now 3 weeks time or the consultant in 3 months time doh (Senior moment) :lol:

Hello Arfaitis yes we are very close I live in Farnley just over the hill from you :grin: I go to Chapel Allerton for my appointments. I just have to take the one Folic Acid the day after i have taken the Meth.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx