Winter fuel allowance

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 28. Nov 2011, 03:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
This will be interesting to see other peoples views.
On the Today programme on radio 4 today, they reported that there were
over 30.000 people living in Spain that receive the winter fuel allowance.
Personally, I don't think they should get it, moreover I doubt they need it anyway, living in Spain.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    yes because the get pension here they are entitled to it and have no say in the matter as it is paid straight to them.
    but would you turn money down that some one is putting into your account perhaps it should be looked into along with paying it to people who have no need of it give more to those who require it val
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    This country is mad, if your from the EU and working here and are on a low wage you can claim benefits for your family back home just as if they were here with you I think you can also claim a state pension even if your not a UK citizen just so long as you worked here at some point in your life, no wonder were broke.
  • rondetto
    Options
    I bet the likes of Germany and Australia wouldn't stand for it.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Ron my sons in-laws lived in Tennerife up to last year, and it was a running joke that they got the heating allowance...when they were trying to cool down in the heat... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • rondetto
    Options
    Yep, exactly what i mean Babs, they don't need it. There's thousands here need help with heating bills through the winter. This lot have even dropped the amount we get.
  • rondetto
    Options
    Never mind eh?
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I live in Spain My wife and I worked for a combined total of 70 years We still pay UK tax on our pensions It DOES get cold here in the winter Why should we not get the same as other UK pensioners some of whom have probably never done a days work in years?Don't give us our rights Don't take our taxes :x :x :x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    My 100 quid should be paid into the bank very soon as have had notification. :smile: Spent it a few months ago on a Maxi Micro for Lola for christmas. :smile:

:lol: I was also told that it is paid at a shared rate because there is another person living in the household also entitled to this payment. Really? :lol:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Options
    tonesp wrote:
    I live in Spain My wife and I worked for a combined total of 70 years We still pay UK tax on our pensions It DOES get cold here in the winter Why should we not get the same as other UK pensioners some of whom have probably never done a days work in years?Don't give us our rights Don't take our taxes :x :x :x

If we were in EU fully then it would be much better for all of us as in employment as we are the UK is the easiest place to be sacked. Also we would get better state pensions as well and other allowances.

Cameron now wants to make it easier to sack people in work that will mean that people with disability will be the first to get sacked. Also the LIB/Cons do not want GP's to give sick notes as they are now saying that if a person is longer than 4 weeks sick then they will have to go in front of a panel to continue to get sick SSP. GP's apparently are not capable of diagnosing their patients. A panel of strangers will know better than GP's I feel the UK want to take the same stance as US only give employer 2 week annual leave. ….that would make the greedy bosses very happy. :|

EU is supposed to be one big country but it is not perhaps one day it will be. The problem for expats is the exchange rate sterling is not much by way of pensions for people living in the EU currency. If the EU breaks up then the UK will suffer as well if not more as will the rest of world. :roll:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have to agree with Tony on this one. And it can get very cold in Spain especially if you live high up.

E
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    They claim it would be too costly to sort out which pensioners would be entitled to it if it was means tested so in the interests of targeting those who need it most, everyone over 65 gets an allowance. It also might be considered a disincentive to save.

My OH parents spend an amount totalling the entire allowance on a meal out but still qualify. They would say they have paid their taxes and still work over the retirement age...

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Doesn't everyone get the WFA when they are 60? Hubby got the £200 when he was 60 and now that I am 60 I got £100 tied in with my pension and bus pass ( 9 months after my 60th, cos of the new regs) and hubby will get £100 as it is paid at a shared rate now that I am eligible.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Doesn't everyone get the WFA when they are 60? Hubby got the £200 when he was 60 and now that I am 60 I got £100 tied in with my pension and bus pass ( 9 months after my 60th, cos of the new regs) and hubby will get £100 as it is paid at a shared rate now that I am eligible.

Elna x

Is it 60? sorry i thought it was 65.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Options
    People in Europe are part of UK. I feel that people earning over 50k a year should not get this allowance. Government is too afraid to upset their rich friends. :|
    Pensioners that went to live outside EU do not get this allowance indeed they do not get any rise in their UK pensions either
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Is the cold weather payment the one you get that's means tested then??

Love

Toni xx