Fatal risk of taking a few extra paracetamol tablets

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 29. Nov 2011, 18:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Don't know if any of you saw this article in the paper earlier in the week but I thought it was worth flagging up (mods - hope I am not breaking any rules by posting the link. Apologies if I am).

I know I am guilty of taking more paracetamol than I should sometimes - largely because I forget what I have taken and tend to think that one more won't do any harm. But I shall certainly be more careful having read this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8907129/A-few-extra-tablets-can-cause-cumulative-paracetamol-overdose.html

Tillyxxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It is all too easy to OD on paracetamol, Tilly, partly because it is contained in so many other meds - cocos, lemsip, cough syrups - and partly because people see it as a mild, innocuous, over-the-counter med.

I once sat by the bedside of someone who had taken 'a few' paracetamol as a cry for help. He was lucky to pull through and was told there and then that his kidneys wouldn't cope next time.

Thanks for highlighting this, Tilly. It's a very useful med but it's also a killer and not to be taken lightly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    did see it on telly but always worth a mention val
    val
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    When I saw this on the news it worried me as currently I'm having to take 8 a day on top of my 8x50mg Tramadols.

For most things I think as long as common sense is applied you can't go far wrong, however, mistakes happen and that's when problems can occur.

Grace
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hi Tilly
    i was worried about taking to many and remembering the times i had took them i take 6 to 8 co-cos a day so i bought a childs black board and chalk so i can write the times down.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tilly
    Thanks for this, I think people have to remember that if they buy other meds ie cough and colds medicines some can have paracetamol in them, so if you are already taking it you could be well over..the chemist normally do ask.
    Love
    Barbara
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'm always very careful not to take anything else with paracetamol, but given that I take the max dose most days, it is something I do need to keep a proper track of to avoid overdoing it.

Brilliant idea about the blackboard Joan - thanks.

Love Tillyxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Good to see you and thank you for the timely reminder as the 'cold and flu' season is about to hit us....easy to forget that things like the hot lemon drinks contain paracetamol too

I promise to be extra vigilant.

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Tilly,

your so right to remind folks cus its easily done actually... not the fatal one though that is easy enough....

used to do a lot of token gestures on the waggons but with paracetamol it was more dodgy than they thought so good post!

hope your okish and the Deer is on his way up with tea and a hug for you. love and some more sheep instead ((( )))'s Cris xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I've relied heavily on Paracetamol in the past and I take it every six hours so I can't overdose when I need it in the night. I also make a note of the time when I take it.

It is a very effective drug though.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Thank you for posting the link, Tilly. :smile: Good to see your name on the forum.

I found it interesting to read the comments at the end too.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    just a tip of how I keep track of meds I take. I have a tapstry wallet that holds 7 individual daily containers each one havin 4 sections in and once a week i fill each one up with tablets with the correct amount of tablets for that day. that way I can space them out and know i have not taken too many.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    For those of you how have a smart phone there is a free iphone App (don't know if they do other versions such as android) called RxmindMe which you can use to keep track of meds on.
    It can remind you of your regular meds with a ping (or without if thats too annoying) :smile: - great when your on stuff like me thats every week or every fortnight or lots of meds. But my main reason for mentioning it is that you put in when you have ad hoc meds like pain killers and keep a track of what you have had and when. It really helps me on those bad days just to stop me feeling addled.

Chrissie
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tilly....thanks for the warning.
    Grace......8 paracetamol and trammies are fine together.....different family.
    I take 8 paracetamol as well.....at the moment taking slow release naproxen with them.
    I take 2 at breakfast time and 2 at bedtime {roughly} the other 2 doses when I remember x:oops: during the day but usually 4 or 5 hours apart.
    I bring down a strip of 8 each morning so I know I wont overdose.....Occasionally forget one dose and am sore Ouch!!!! but thats not so bad
    Love
    Hileena
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Tilly

I heard this problem on the radio but it was only brief so Thank you for putting the newspaper link for us all to read.

Take care
    Love Juliepf x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have just had the results of a scan and blood tests for liver damage, non alcoholic and unspecific though not serious enough to do anything about. Since I have been taking paracetamol for aches and pains for about 35 years this is a likely culprit but so many ifs and buts and I did not knowingly overdose. Perhaps a warning?
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    the thing I find most difficult when I'm taking 8 co-codamols a day is remembering when I took the dose the previous day.

keeping track of the 'any 24 hour period' is as important as how many we take on one named day, so writing down, phone alarms, blackboards, phone apps, whatever else people can think of ......whatever ..... tis really good to have a system for those days when we're not feeling so with it.

Wonky xx