Finally having an X-Ray

Options
Beatrix
Beatrix Member Posts: 37
edited 2. Dec 2011, 16:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone, sorry I've not posted lately.

After waiting around 3 months, I'm finally going to have an x-ray for both my knee's.

I actually rang the x-ray Department myself and they said they didn't have anything from my Dr's even though my Dr said she would chase my appointment up. Anyway the nurse was very nice and she asked me to ring my Dr's and ask them to fax the information through which they did. I was also told that I didn't have to wait for an appointment, just go between certain hours, 5 days a week.

I wished I had known this earlier instead of waiting ages. I don't know what went wrong with the hospital not recieving my refferal but at least now I can start with having a diagnoses.

Do you know how long after the x-ray it will take for me to get the results? I've never had an x-ray before apart from a dental x-ray.

Jackie x
Fall down seven times, get up eight
Japanese Proverb

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie :smile:

Where I live it would take about a week for an xray result but different areas appear to work differently.

It is a good job that you did call the xray department or you would more than likely still be waiting. Let's hope the ball starts rolling now for you and you get to find out what is going on with both your knees.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Hi Elna,

Thank you :smile: my knee symptoms sound like OA so I'm leaning towards that but as my eldest brother has RA, it will just be a relief to know what I'm up against.

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Jackie

good job you chased isn't it? You could still be waiting patiently :shock:

Our xray dept here is like that you got when you can....thye will tell you the 'quieter' times.

Xrays l have had l have always been told about 10 working days, BUT when something 'shows' l have had a call from my GP unsolicited by me.

Hope it gives you some answrs - not much worse than the 'not knowing' is there?

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Beatrix wrote:
    Hello everyone, sorry I've not posted lately.

After waiting around 3 months, I'm finally going to have an x-ray for both my knee's.

I actually rang the x-ray Department myself and they said they didn't have anything from my Dr's even though my Dr said she would chase my appointment up. Anyway the nurse was very nice and she asked me to ring my Dr's and ask them to fax the information through which they did. I was also told that I didn't have to wait for an appointment, just go between certain hours, 5 days a week.

I wished I had known this earlier instead of waiting ages. I don't know what went wrong with the hospital not recieving my refferal but at least now I can start with having a diagnoses.

Do you know how long after the x-ray it will take for me to get the results? I've never had an x-ray before apart from a dental x-ray.

Jackie x

When I have an x-ray I usually go straight in to see my surgeon and he has the results up on the screen.
    I'm not sure with the GP though. They seem to work in a different time zone.
    I hope your treatment progresses from here.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Our Xray department is similar - in my experience lunchtimes are pretty good, or check the opening times and try to get in first! As for the results time, well, it varies. They do go instantly onto one's file at my hospital, but how long they take to reach the GP I do not know: ask on the day, they may be able to shed some light on that for you. The Xray itself is a doddle, although your knees may feel uncomfortable in the necessary positions - take a duller or two a little while before you go, that's what I do. Good luck, and please let us know what the results are. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, we have to have an appointment, but it comes through very quickly and they work in the early evenings too.
    My X-ray result gets to the doc in about a week, but its instantly available to the hospital and my GP once its done, just that it won't have a report and my gP doesn't like having to read the x-ray, and I don't blame her, its not her job.

Glad you found out about the hospital system, you could have been sitting at home for ages waiting for an appointment. Hope too that the result gives you something positive to work with. Love Sue
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    I had xrays on my hands back in late March, early April, and I was told my doctor would have the results in 10 days. After several phone calls over the week after the doc was due to get them, the practice said they would need to contact the radiology department to get a copy sent out as they hadn't arrived. As I was to see the doctor once the results were back, it was a long wait for the follow up appointment, especially as he was on holidays when practice received them and I had the following week away in the Lake District ... so it took about five or six weeks from having the xrays taken to actually getting the results so that he could refer me to the rheumy. So good luck.
    Scozzie
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Thanks very much for the good luck Toni, Elizabeth, DD, Sue and Scozzie.

Sorry you had to wait quite a while Scozzie for the results.

If it is OA would I be referred to anyone else other than my GP? I'd like help knowing how to do strengthening exercises safely etc.

DD when you mentioned necessary positions to have an x-ray on my knee's, do you mean like squat a little? I have no idea if you have to lie on a bed or stand up?

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had a few Xrays of my knees and the arthritis-related ones involved lying on the bed with the knees flat - which is fine if your knees will lie flat. Since the development of the psoriatic arthritis mine rarely do, hence the discomfort. If I know I have Xrays coming up I take some dullers a couple of hours before to help things a little. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Thanks DD, you've given me a good idea of what to expect. My left knee hurts the most when its straight but will remember to take something before I go.

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Jackie,

good to see you again and hope your keeping ok?

glad you got the xray sorted.... they don;t half mess us about sometimes! as with Elizabeth the rumo sometimes sends me for an xray then i go back up and see him again and its instantly on the screen but the gp ones have always taken 10 or so days to come through.

some surgeries are hooked into the hospital system and they can have the results on screen very quickly but my docs aren't and it has always been about the 10 day mark for all results except mri's... i waited oer 3 months for those results!

good luck and hope they will then be able to help you. lets us know how you get on. Cris x
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Hi Chris, thank you :smile: Phew 3 months to wait for a mri! :shock:

I will let you know how I get on, on wednesday evening, hopefully the hospital will give me an idea about when to expect my results.

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Hi everyone, just thought I'd give you an update about my x-ray.

I went to the hospital on Wednesday as planned, only to be turned away because of the strike! Can't believe I picked a day that would involve a strike. I was seeing my gp in the morning so to save on travel expenses, I thought I'd go after, not realising that the hospital would be affected. So after resting my knee's yesterday due to all the walking I did, I finally had my x-ray done today. One shot was taken standing and the others were lying on my side while they x-rayed both inner knees. I have to wait about a week for my results so will let you know when I get the results.

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb