Hair loss and damage

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 27. Nov 2011, 09:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
I hope you are all as well as you can be. Especially with Christmas comming!

I just wondered if anyone else suffers from this problem.
I have a strange question to ask well, it seems strange to me.
I have oa and Fibro I take Tramadol and amatriptylne. Since the summer I have noticed my hair is changing and getting weaker as well as splitting a lot. Its also very soft and a lot finer than it was. It used to be thick and course but now it breaks off or comes out. When I wash it in the shower it leaves quite a lot of hair in the tray. I remember my Mum having the same problem and blaming her anti inflammatories. She had really bad arthritis, I'm not 100% sure of the kind, but she had a very bad neck and lumber spine and couldn't walk outside very far without a wheelchair.

I suppose I should go to the doctors, but I went last week and the week before and I think she'll think I'm a hypocondrac or something. I'm 56 and female! Love Sue xx

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sue, it could be the meds. Also it could be your thyroid, anaemia or stress, lack of B vits etc. Your doc can do bloods to rule out the nasties!! Otherwise, regular trims, a good shampoo and conditioner.

I have lupus and hair loss is one of the symptoms when I flare and its a right nuisance. The meds have had an effect on my hair and so I try to look after it. Avoid harsh products, hair dyes, straightners etc.

Most salons offer conditioning treatments although you can do it yourself at home. Just leave the conditioner in with a shower cap on for the day. :grin:
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Sue, my hairdresser said it is the meds. He told me to use a really good quality shampoo and condition, one that has a repairing agent. I will pm you with the name, it has improved my hair enormously.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    I noticed a while ago I seemed to be 'shedding' an awful lot of hair. I used tot have a shoulder length straight bob.
    I had it cut very short last year. It was the best thing I have done in ages, as it is very easy to manage and now it seems to be in better condition. Its a drastic solution, but it helped me.
  • PatriciaH
    PatriciaH Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Sue :smile:

I am also 56, female and having trouble with my hair!!!!

My hairdresser feels it is down to the medication I am taking and I do too. I was on plaquenil and this was causing major hair loss - so I stopped taking that - but since then my hair has become extremely coarse and kinda curly - not a good look with short hair!!!!

At the moment I am taking prednisolone and morphine (plus minocycline antibiotics). I am now thinking the prednisolone is causing the hair problems, even though I have been on them a year and a half, they have only been doing this for the last three months - strange :roll: Even a really good conditioner is finding it hard to control - lol (not easy to laugh about is it???).

Salamander, I would be really interested to hear which shampoo and conditioner your hairdresser recommended pleeeease, if you don't mind sharing :smile:

Seems as though you are not alone with this Sue.

Love Patricia x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, I'll try the home conditioning treatment first. I think I heard someone booking a special conditioning treatment at my hairdressers, but the price was huge. I'd pay it if it worked but try doing it myself first. Thank you for the advice. I'm in a lot of pain in my neck and hands today so not feeling that great. Maybe its all linked. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who has this problem, not that I wish it on anyone, but its good to know I'm not alone. So thank you. Lots of love Sue xxx
  • woodbon
    Options
    PatriciaH wrote:
    Hi Sue :smile:
    Hi Patricia,
    I'm 56 too! I havn't mentioned it to my hairdresser, as she,s new and she don't know me. My girl left to have a baby! Thak you for answering my post and yes, it is easier, when you know you'r not alone. Love Sue xxxxx
    I
    am also 56, female and having trouble with my hair!!!!

My hairdresser feels it is down to the medication I am taking and I do too. I was on plaquenil and this was causing major hair loss - so I stopped taking that - but since then my hair has become extremely coarse and kinda curly - not a good look with short hair!!!!

At the moment I am taking prednisolone and morphine (plus minocycline antibiotics). I am now thinking the prednisolone is causing the hair problems, even though I have been on them a year and a half, they have only been doing this for the last three months - strange :roll: Even a really good conditioner is finding it hard to control - lol (not easy to laugh about is it???).

Salamander, I would be really interested to hear which shampoo and conditioner your hairdresser recommended pleeeease, if you don't mind sharing :smile:

Seems as though you are not alone with this Sue.

Love Patricia x