Hip Op - what's it really like?

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 26. Nov 2011, 14:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, Well it looks like I may be heading down the hip op route. I'm not sure if its one or both yet. Do them do them together? I know they do with knees in some cases.
For various reasons I have avoided surgery in the main. I've had some but it hasn't been a good story.
I've read a little, but what I'd like to ask is what is it really like? I'm keen on having the stay awake option (bad experiences in the past).
How long is recovery (really)? I'm a very determind/stubborn person so if I set my mind to something that's it, what I'm saying is I will do everything to get myself out of hospital asap.
Anything I should look for, or ask?
Thanks for your thoughts

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Honestly?

The surgery is a breeze, the staying awake option is ok too, (I've done it both ways). I was up and walking to the loo 5 hours after my op and that was with a bone graft. The deep pain gone, healing pain is tolerable and short lived.
    Recovery is a drag frankly, not painful just tedious. Walking without crutches after 3 weeks, then with a stick. The worst bit?
    Sleeping on my back- hate it. 6 weeks with most rules, some are 3 months.
    Buy a couple of cheap gadgets to help and the recovery soon passes, one is a sock aid usually about £3- it's a bit of plastic with a rope on, couldn't do without it as cannot bend down( the 90 degree rule). The second one is a 'grabber' for picking things up. it's amazing how much drops on the floor when you cannot bend down, they're usually between £5 and £10, it's worth getting a better one as they are stronger. Some health authorities give the gadgets out some do not.
    You can get both hips done at once, some on the forum have had it done that way, only had 1 done but it's been done twice.
    Yes it's worth it, you can feel the difference as soon as you wake up and get moving.
    Good luck when you have it done.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had nothing but good experiences with surgery - 2 THRs, 2 TKRs and a Knee Revision. My only advice would be to do the exercises before and after, rest up afterwards and don't expect too much of yourself. They won't let you out until you can show them you can cope ie getting out of a chair unaided, climbing steps etc. Be guided by your surgeon and physio. Rest, elevate and exercise.

I know one lady on here had both her hips done together. My knees were done seperately but within 2 months of each other. I think that'll depend on your surgeon. AC do a booklet on surgery. (Publications and Resources button, top right). Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright