Glucosamine/Chondroitin and other Supplements

Options
Beatrix
Beatrix Member Posts: 37
edited 2. Dec 2011, 17:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements?

I have suspected OA in both my knee's, although still waiting for a diagnoses. Right now I'm trying Devil's Claw and Potter's Cod Liver oil and malt.

I know everyone is different but just wondering if any products have helped.?

Jackie x
Fall down seven times, get up eight
Japanese Proverb

Comments

• LolaCrayola
    LolaCrayola Member Posts: 152
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am taking Glucosamine, it is too early to day if it helps. My parents take both and say that if they stop they have more pain. I get mine from Healthspan as they also do vegetarian ones.
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know Lola. Healthspan is the site my dad reccomends :smile:

I'm glad its helping your mum and dad.

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hiya, i give anything a try within reason and did this.
    Unfortunately something in it made me itch, was allergic to something so had to stop.

Good luck
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    This is something that comes up regularly. I think the current medical take on it is that, if it helps you, it helps but it doesn't help most people. My husband takes it to enable him to play golf twice a week and notices the difference if he doesn't. However, for people with 'proper' OA I doubt it would do much, if anything. But, if yours is in the early stages you could always give it a try.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LolaCrayola
    LolaCrayola Member Posts: 152
    Options
    A lot of the glucosamine and chondroltin is shellfish based. I thought I would try 6 months on it. Other stuff helps quicker, like my £20 Dreamland heat pad from Argos. I also have a Salvo Accupressure mat as I have OA of the spine, that helps me, but so does lying down.
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,
    Just my opinion but if they work for you....why not.
    I would however tell your GP your taking them if you are taking prescription meds.
    My GP told me to get some Glucosamine....but if they didn't help in 2 weeks they never would.They didn't help me.I know they help other people.
    I love codliver oil and malt.Never thought of that. May
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hi Jackie.
    i tried them for 6 weeks no luck they didnot help me.
    good luck to you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you need at least 3 months good luck took them for a tear but nice stopped docs prescribeing them omoga 3 suposed to be very good for any one with inflimation
    val
  • dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Sadly I have tried all of these and did not notice any difference :( but I am a great believer that you should try these things out as you will never know and we are all made different.

Dot x
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts on Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I think its worth a try but will check with my Dr as I take Levothyroxine and pain relief when I really need it.

I'm adding Sardines and Mackrel to my diet every other day, just as well I like fish :smile:

I will do a search for the Argos heat pad, as nice as my hot water bottle is, its not very flexible for the knee's so need something that covers more of an area.

May, I love cod liver oil and malt, I used to sell it at the Chemist shop I worked in over 30 years ago and its still seems very popular today. :smile:

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi Jackie,
    When I was young....a long time ago.....I was always given cod liver oil every Friday...horrible stuff.
    Cod liver oil and malt seemed to disappear for a while but have now bought some.Not sure if it will do much good but I like it anyway.
    Thanks for mentioning it.
    Anything is worth a try...and if you find something that helps you all the better.
    Oh another thought....oily fish especially sardines and wild salmom are extremely good for your bones.I have OP and looked into diet. May
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I've tried glucosomine, and all the mixtures of them and they didnt seem to work for me but if they do for you ....great....anything is worth trying.,
    As for oily fish.....that doesnt help if you are a vegetarian x:(
    I must try something in place of that
    Love
    Hileena
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,459
    Options
    I used to take it for years and added others such as zinc, even used to get it prescribed, not much help now.

I've eaten oily fish all my life, sardines/kippers/mackerel (fish was cheap!), great stuff. My diet is good now, a lot better than when I was little in the fifties, strictly meat and two veg with a pudding of some sort, the meat wasn't as good as these days with lots of cheap cuts about, we used to fill up on bread and potatoes.

Something to think about, I didn't drink soft drinks until I was about 17 (coke/pepsi/lemonade etc etc) and then not much, always tea or milk. Started drinking water when I a lot older.
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Hi May, both my parents have OP and my dad prefers diet and non-perscription drugs. There is a site that my Dad visits but can't remember the name so when I next chat to my Dad I will ask him for you.

Hi Hileena, I hope you find another alternative, my eldest daughter is a Vegetarian so will ask her if she knows anything about an alternative.

Hi Airwave, your childhood sounds like mine where diet is concerned :smile: I am trying to cut back on my coffee and drink more water as I believe its good for your joints.

Will up date my thread to let you know how I'm getting on with Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb