OA in ankles?

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 29. Nov 2011, 17:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

Another question please? Anyone out there with OA in ankles? If so, what are your symptoms? Do you get swelling all around the ankle?

Thanks,

Magenta x

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Magenta

I've had OA in my right ankle for several years now. In fact, it was the first indication that I had got OA ( I now have it in my knees too ) I get pain in it, especially if I have been on my feet for a long time, but I haven't had any swelling. The consultant said that it isn't bad enough to operate on, so I just use an ankle support if necessary ( from Boots ) I also wear flat shoes which give my feet plenty of support.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi magenta

I too have arthritis in my ankles, which flared up over six months after my feet and hands gave notice that they were affected. I'm not sure if it's OA or inflammatory, can't remember what the rheumy said really, but they both were affected at the same time with the first symptom, after the aching, being some swelling and burning sensations, even when lying in bed. At one point the aching was rather acute for about a week, during which time I was put to trammies ... which has eased things somewhat, but not totally.

Good luck,
    Scozzie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Eileen,

oh flower its not fun this bone shift is it?!

i got it starting in the ankles and yep i do get some swelling but like Scoozie a deep ache that just wont stop and just hurts. one of mine was plated up after a bad break and well that one is slightly worse.

mine get worse when they take me of the anti flams.... i use heat on mine but always remember Legs saying cold works well its just cus of my circulation i can't face cold :lol:

hang in there my friend. love Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have it in both ankles, the right is more swollen than the left, the Xrays showed two little spurs at the back of each foot under the Achilles tendon (unlike those of cowboys they don't jangle, which is disappointing) which my consultant attributed to the PA and that there is narrowing of the top foot joint closest to the ankle, which apparently is the OA component. They hurt all the time, a lovely deep, shooting hot needle of pain going through the main joint and nothing touches it although the last direct steroid injection into the right ankle did ease things for a few weeks, which was nice. The depo I had on Wednesday has eased the swelling a little. DD

PS As usual skezier is spot on! It's all a million miles away from fun, it's just one damned challenge after another. Grrrrrrrrrr.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks everyone for your info.

Both my ankles are constantly swollen and it's so painful. They just get worse as the day progresses. The bump I had from one of the kids scooters is still there and gets worse throughout the day(happened over 4wks ago). I'm hoping this ultrasound scan appt. I've been promised comes through soon.

The constant pain is becoming very annoying and as I'm not allowed anti-inflamms anymore, the dr gives me co-codamol but only a 12 day supply. I have to keep phoning nearly every week to get a further supply!

Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Magenta I have OA in my left ankle, diagnosed via an x-ray 2 years ago. At times I cannot walk at all due to the pain so have to pace myself. But I have never noticed any swelling.

I am waiting for things at home to be settled enough for an operation which requires 12 weeks non-weight bearing. It basically means my OH will be carer and house husband for 3 whole months, not a prospect I relish!!!!!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Magenta,
    I have OA in both ankles and have had an arthroscopic cheilectomy done on my left ankle. They removed a 'significany bony osteophyte' (over-growth of bone); this was in June this year.
    I'm not entirely happy with the outcome as it's still sore in the area where they took this extra bone off and I suspect that the OA is still well and truly present there. I still have pain in the joint and I suspect next step will be a fusion but that's impossible at the moment due to various reasons.
    Before I had the surgery I didn't have any swelling; although I'm 5 months post-op I'm still getting the swelling so am tubi-grip'd most of the time. I wear flat supportive boots/shoes and am unable to wear heels of any kind now - even low ones.
    Putting my feet up helps with the swelling as does resting but it's not always practical to do this is it?
    I'd certainly ask for more paindullers on your script - that amount is daft. I'd also suggest you ask for more effective meds.
    Take care,
    Grace
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi again,

I've made an appt. to see my GP to discuss what happened at my last rhuemy appt. to see if there's any other pain killers he'll be willing to put me on.

Thanks,

Magenta x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Eileen,

constant pain is not good is it? glad your going back to discuss it with your gp and i as wondering would the anti-inflammatory patches help do you think? might be worth asking.

i think after today the diclo's will be going again for me....

kinda with Elizabeth and Grace on the swelling being unusual to a point for oa but my lumber has soft tissue swelling and thats meant to be oa so maybe extra bone growth is aggravating the surrounding tissue? i think if you can take some pics of the swelling and ask the rumo when you see one cus it might be the inflammatory one going on there maybe?

i really hope your gp will help cus nobody should have constant pain and they should be able to reduce it to a manageable level if they can get the pain control right. hang in there. love and a (((((((((( )))))))))) cris xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I have OA in my left ankle.....had an x ray when he was checking about a THR ...he did that as well.
    Probably doesnt apply since the ankle bit is trauma.....had an accident 3 yrs ago.....yes it does swell ...quite badly, not overly sore but stiff and oins and needles etc
    Love
    Hileena
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    No swelling but they do ache a lot and shooting pains through them when I move, have to be careful about overdoing things and the speed at which I walk. Pills don't touch the sides, I used to use a TENS machine, heat is nice just for the feeling of comfort.
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Have OA ( and RA) in my left ankle.Shooting pains in the joint and much swelling walking become very painful.X rays showed severe damage and only option was an op.Had replacement ankle joint in June this year and much more mobile and almost no pain and yet early days of recovery (6-12 months)
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)