stupid question

Options
babytiger
babytiger Member Posts: 360
edited 28. Nov 2011, 05:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
my knee is still really swollen but its really hot as well ,also its started getting painful all the time like constant stabbing .Is this still normal? or should I give the district nurse a call tomorrow, dont like to bother people

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi BT

Not a stupid question at all - a sensible one actually. :smile: Yep, common post op symptoms..... you are getting on for about 4 weeks post op, I believe. If you overdo things the knee swells and it is more than likely to be swollen anyway due to the trauma it has recently been through. You need to RICE - rest, ice (plenty of), compression and elevate plus physio exercises inbetween about three times minimum a day. Aches and pains are common too. I was one of the unfortunate ones that had aches and pains in the knee for 9 months post op, some lucky people have no pain from day one post op! We are all different.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • babytiger
    Options
    Thanks Elna for your reply, last week seemed a really good week so ive probably done too much which sounds about right for me . Don't think 4 flights of stairs are helping my knees though but if I want out out for some fresh air I have to climb them
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I know BT, it is so easy to overdo things. :wink: I am not a sit around person at the best of times and I know I did too much, post op. :roll: :wink: I remembered that you had all the steps to climb. You can class that as exercise though. It is good that you are getting out and about but as long as you can counteract that with the elevation and ice around the knee you should progress along nicely. It can be so difficult to be a patient, patient. :roll: It does take such a long time, well it did for me. We have to keep reminding ourselves that it is a major operation. I had good movement in the knee early on for which I was grateful, but the swelling and pain was quite something else. :roll: It all evened itself out in the end and we are good friends now. :smile:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi BT

my ankles used to swell after my BACK opp if l overdid it. Those stairs!!!! Hope that gets sorted soon :roll:

take care and l still think you are doing fabulously well :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • babytiger
    Options
    Elna Yeah I keep getting reminded by my better half that ive had major surgery .Its "Eileen if you want something will you just ask me ,not try and do everything yourself" Bless hiim but im such a bad patient and bleedin indepedent.Bless him he took me to asda and borrowed a wheelchair with trolley on front yesterday,\he kept running over his toes and couldnt push the blinking thing. but at least I got a good giggle ,couldnt stop laughing all the way round listening to him swearing at the trolley and people
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :grin: Laughter is a great tonic, Eileen! Sorry about your OH's toes though :oops: :smile: My consultant kept reminding me I had had major surgery :wink: when I was expecting miracles to happen :roll: :grin:

Chin up, keep giggling, go careful today, :wink:
    Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you stop to think for a moment about what has been done to you then it's hardly any wonder that things are still 'playing up'. Perhaps over the next few days, if fresh air is required, then just open a window: your bones and muscles have been cut and interfered with and that takes time to settle. Four flights of stairs? Crikey! After my first open synovectomy it took me a month or so to be able to do one, and that was just to get upstairs. :roll: I remember the frustrations well.

I think orthopaedic surgeons sometimes give the wrong impression - 'I'll do this and you'll be fixed.' they seem to say and from their point of view that's true: he's done his bit and yes, you are 'fixed'. What they don't think about is the weeks of recovery, physio and healing that the patient then has to get through as that bit is not their remit. Be patient, babytiger, don't go undoing all his good work by being too keen, you need to rest, exercise, rest some more, exercise some more and keep up with as much pain relief as you need. Healing takes time and that is something that you now have in spades, so use it wisely. It's not easy, I know, but the long-term benefit will, I am sure, make it all worthwhile. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Babytiger, Even after all these years my knee's do still seem to get hot now! Especially at night, you could have a BBQ on them! It comes and goes. I just keep them cool and put a flanel with ice cubes in it on to them. And rest for a while. So it may just come and go like mine does.