RA and your Heart

Options
arfaitis
arfaitis Member Posts: 155
edited 29. Nov 2011, 17:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Did you know that if you have RA your chances of heart trouble are high?
Not a lot of RA patients know that, so it is a good idea to eat for your heart now, which in turn will look after your RA as well.
I have been down this road, and just about to go out to see my cardio consultant this morning.
I have to go, but I will leave you with this link to browse over, then when I come back I will tell you more.
RA and Heart Attack

Arfa

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    good luck arfa hope all goes well val
    val
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hope all goes well for you today ; I've been a RAer for 31 years now , I was checked out and found to have an erratic heartbeat ; this is now more settled since losing some weight ( 5 stone ) ; I think those of us with long term health problems do eat as healthily as we can , so maybe it's unwise to add to our stress by worrying about what may or may not happen with our hearts as well . Try to stay healthy by all means , but enjoy each day as it arrives and make the most of it . Jillyb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Arfa

I hope all has gone well for you today.

I was aware of some of the extra health issues and promise that l eat carefully already. Both parents having died of heart problems one at 66 the other at 70.

Please do let us knwo you are ok.

Love

\toni xx
  • arfaitis
    Options
    This morning the cardiac consultant gave me a going over and said keep do the exercises and keep taking the tablets.
    He reassured me that if I get another glitch it still is possible to do more work on my heart, like a stent in the artery that hasn't been done.
    But just like you 4 years ago I was told I had an erratic heart beat, take these that and the other and we shall keep an eye on it.
    A year later I started to get a little breathless when going up a slope, and over a couple of weeks it got worse.
    Popped into our GP and he referred me to the hospital for an angiogram, well I went through with it to be told that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me, I was too badly blocked up, more tabs and whatnot.
    Then out of the blue I had a letter to see the surgeon at the LGI, a nice bloke who told me he would like to try and help if I was up for it, well I had no choice 3 weeks later I was admitted to a private hospital where I went on the table hoping for a quadruple bypass, now here is where it all went wrong for me.
    During the operation I had a major heart attack, when he had only bupassed 2 arteries, my right side of my heart collapsed and left me fighting for my life. A special pump was inserted into my heart to help it recover, and they transferred me by ambulance to the LGI where they had the equipment to do the job.
    My family were sent for twice during the first 48 hours, with the thought I was not going to make it, well after 14 days in intensive care I recovered enough to get out and walk about for physio, I was extremely ill with my heart performing under par, I made every effort to do the physio and did pick up, only to suffer another heart attack, in again for a week, out again only to go in again with another heart attack.
    Only in for a week, and then out of the blue another letter from the LGI, to go and see them, well yet another top bod this time a professor who said he would like to do an angioplasty with a difference, he was going to attempt an atherectomy Atherectomy which is in laymens terms put a router cutter through my arteries and ream out any plaque and then put stents in.
    A very high risk procedure but I had no alternative but to accept his offer, I was assured by my surgeon that if anybody could do this man could.
    I was two hours under the machine that performs angiograms, it turned into a very painful procedure, the outcome was 2 stents and he had reamed out one of the arteries that couldn't be bypassed.
    That was May last year, now I am exercising twice a week in the gym, and 3 times a week playing badminton.
    Not bad for a man with 2 replacement knees and 40 years RA behind me, I can honestly say that I now feel fully well, thanks to the expertise of the surgeons and the team there that performed all these marvelous procedures.
    They say if I hadn't been a chap who was keen on eating for my heart and not smoking or drinking alcohol I wouldn't have been here today.
    The reason I told you this is not to cause panic among you, but highlight the importance is to make those with RA aware of the importance of eating for your heart, as well as your RA.
    Remember we are all different, there are I believe over 100 types of arthritis, and I have had RA with complications now for over 40 years, and I am an old man.
    A big pat on the back for you Jilly for losing that much weight, a feat in itself, keep it up.

Arfa
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    My Goodness Arfa!

what a story :shock:

Sounds like you are very very lucky to be here. Glad the checkup went ok and all is well for now.

You take care

Thanks

toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Gosh you really have been through the mill, its good that you have taken the time to warn people...good on you, and I really do wish you well.
    Love
    Barbara
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Good to hear you're now feeling so well , Arfa , I'm not meaning to sound flippant and apologies if that's how it came across , I just meant that you shouldn't be in constant fear of complications that may not appear at all . I have done my best to remain healthy ; not smoked for 30 odd years ; gave up alcohol 2 years ago and managed to get my weight down ; but the important thing as far as I'm concerned , is to enjoy life . I'm old , I have to use a wheelchair now , but I have a fantastic life with my hubby , our kids and their spouses . Make the most of what is not what might be . Jillyb
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Please can you tell me if it is the RA that causes the trouble with the heart or is it the drugs we all take for the RA that does the damage. Or indeed is it both.

Thanks Petals

(actually i just read the useful link you provided, seems its the disease that causes the problem more so than the drugs)

Thank you for this useful information.
  • arfaitis
    Options
    petals wrote:
    Please can you tell me if it is the RA that causes the trouble with the heart or is it the drugs we all take for the RA that does the damage. Or indeed is it both.

Thanks Petals

(actually i just read the useful link you provided, seems its the disease that causes the problem more so than the drugs)

Thank you for this useful information.

Petals please remember this doesn't happen to everyone, I am trying to point out that it pays to eat for your heart and your RA.
    I brought this up because whilst in clinic when speaking to other sufferers they didn't seem to realise this was the case.
    Remember that everybody with RA is not necessarily going to get heart trouble, the reason is that everyone of us is different.
    But eating for your heart covers a lot of health problems, I know if I had known what I know now, I would have certainly ate healthier earlier in my life.
    Two more useful links Eating for your heart
    And a Eating a RA diet
    Once again please remember we are all different, but you have to decide for yourself what is best for you.
    I can only speak from my own personal experience.

Arfa
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wow arfaitis, what a story. It's amazing what the medicos can do, isn't it? Your point is a valid one but I think we all walk a number of tricky tightropes, don't we? When I began the humira (to treat my PA) I had perfect blood pressure. Thanks to the drug now I don't, so two more tablets have been added to the list to cope with the side effects of one injection. The diet is on the whole pretty good, I do the five a day (except it's nearer seven or eight and I prefer raw to cooked), don't add salt to anything, I've cut out the crisps and biscuits, and now only have occasional chocolate and we have used skimmed milk for years. The cholesterol is fine but that is about the only thing that is. :lol:

The sole cause of death is life, though death itself comes in many guises. I remember that Jim Fixx ran to keep his heart healthy and I am sure that dying from a heart attack whilst out running was not part of his plans for his life. I am sure we all do what we can do to keep ourselves as healthy as we can, and those of us that don't do try to alter habits etc, but there are times when no matter what we do, life slaps us in the face. Well, all of us on here already know that, don't we? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi arfa

Blimey after reading your story I will certainly look at the info links you have provided. I am aware that Ra attacks internal organs but tend not to think about it, reading this you have made me think twice.
    I have had Ra 23 years and I think my diet is well balanced but I can not exercise and that does worry me. (amputee and have problems with stump if I try to walk)

I am pleased that you are quite well now after such an ordeal and hope your health continues to improve.
    Thanks again for the info
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • arfaitis
    Options
    Nicely put Daisy, I couldn't agree more.
    We have no choice but to take the meds, I personally have only just said to the wife I couldn't function without them, but I too am taking drugs to combat side effects etc.
    But we can help ourselves, I am trying to point out one of the pitfalls, that can befall us with RA. and what we can do to help prevent them, but I constantly have said that what it does for one is not necessarily what will happen to them.

Julie I did read earlier about you regarding your problem, and my you have gone through it, get well soon.
    I would point out that my RA consultant would probably not agree with the amount and kind of exercise I do, I have yet to see see her 19th of Dec. but I am at that point that I will be damned if I do and damned if I don't.
    It obviously from my experiences and others it is all about our circulation, keep that right, and we shall be OK.
    Good luck for the future and do stay well.

Please take care everyone, and enjoy your day.

Arfa
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Ooops! What has happened to the format on this thread, Guy?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A wide link is my best guess, it happens sometimes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    HelloArfa,

I know that this will not happen to everyone and I am sure that is the case, however, after a recent chest infection my doctor had a good listen to my heart and said he could hear a murmur. Now, I am 51 yrs of age and have had my heart listened to many times before but never has anyone detected a murmur previous to this.

I have only been diagnosed with RA for a little under 2 yrs so now i am slightly worried as to what is going on. My doctor at the time said not to worry about it too much but to make others aware should I need a general anaesthetic or such like.

My own husband died very suddenly 7 yrs ago of a massive heart attack so I know the devastation that heart trouble can cause.

I am glad that you posted on this subject and I will definately be paying more attention to my diet.

Thank you