Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

OA & Plaquenil

caroldeegcaroldeeg Posts: 51
edited 6. Dec 2011, 08:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone else take Plaquenil for OA? I was prescribed it about a year & a half ago and although it works really well the side effects can be horrendous, Diarrohea etc.
It also makes me feel very tired at times, I know its not a normal medication for OA but the doctors are trialling it in ' certain' cases
any feedback would be appreciated x:idea: . x:-)

Comments

• frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi carol

l take it for inflammatory arthritis, but found got less upset belly by sandwiching it in the middle of my main meals. Lunch and tea. Hope that helps a bit?

Love

toni xx
    Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭
    I take it for RA. Always with food. Never had any side effects.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • caroldeegcaroldeeg Posts: 51
    I normally take it first thing in the morning after breakfast and about 3 days a week I ger really bad diarrohea. Imodium makes me feel ill so I have to stay in for a couple of hours until it stops, I will try taking it later in the day. Maybe it will help.
    Thanks
  • valvalvalval Posts: 15,897
    i take it for inflimation arther twice a day make sure eat with it no probs with taking it val
    val
  • sciqueensciqueen Posts: 21
    Hi

I take it for RA. I had sickness & diarrhoea in the first wk of taking it for 3 consecutive days. Not had any more problems since. I started taking it from sometime in September 2011. Oh I take it 200mg twice a day usually after a meal or with food.

Sci
  • cebeemcebeem Posts: 477
    Hi do you not take a stomach protector?
    I take ages to get used to meds....didn't think the hydroxy was doing much so I stopped it for a few weeks ...then a bad flare forced me to try again and bingo it worked like a dream...my energy levels have been the best for a good few years....it does take time to notice it.
    Best wishes
    C
  • caroldeegcaroldeeg Posts: 51
    I take omiprazole for my stomach every day 40mg. I have been taking Hydroxychloroquine for 18 months now and since day 1 I have been getting diarrohea 3 or 4 days a week. It really works for me but the side effects are driving me mad.
    I am now going to try codeine for a while instead of Tramadol to see if it helps.
    I will keep u posted.,