Re:More is less

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 5. Dec 2011, 07:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
what is it with these people who tart their house up like some fecking navigation beacon come Christmas?, we have two in the village the bums opposite and the loony down in the bungalows in the estate, there's so much c**p strung up it looks feckin awful, I'm all for a string or lights or two but inflatable 5' high Homer Simpson Santa's and a sledge complete with Rudolf and his chums sliding down the roof just makes me wonder if these people are slightly unhinged or have some slight insecurity that finds an outlet this time of year?. Oddly we have two guys at work who do this each crimbo and can honestly say they are both humourless people so why act this way if your a crumpy bugger for the rest of the year.
Either way I'm sorry to say it it looks utter pants in my book, the dinosaurs ruled for 160 million and they got by with out this tatty land fill, I sometimes wonder how we've managed to get as far as we have, I've noticed over the years this kind of person normally eradicates themselve's from the gene pool by their own hand so I'm living in hope!.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    some look quite nice but sometimes its a matter of trying to out do the neighbours well let them but do not want there electric bill in the new year
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    The two here look really tatty like they could star in my great big fat gypsy Christmas..
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I beg to differ with you on this one, Mel. I love to see all the decorations on the houses- the more the merrier x:!: x:-P At this dreary time of year, it brightens things up, and it puts most people in a Christmassy mood.

I just have some coloured lights strung round a tree in my front garden, but my next door neighbour does the full works with big moving pictures of Santa etc. in lights all round his bungalow and garden. When he first moved in a couple of years ago, some people didn't like the decorations and thought it lowered the tone of the road, but now most people appreciate the effort he makes and look forward to seeing them. He leaves a box out at the front, and asks for donations, so he raises quite a lot of money for charity that way.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hmmm seems on me own on this one, bah humbug to the lot of ya, I've just been told were having another real tree this year, well I can tell you I'm not getting the flippin thing again, standing in a cold barn full of screaming yuppie spawn while their dad sticks the tip of the tree into my eyes isn't my idea of fun so the two war offices will be trundling along to get it, I'll be in here snug and warm while I try my hand at a bit of target practise by shooting out the lights on the house over the road, see I have found a use for them after all!!.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

You and Del should get together, Mel. He's says he's leaving the forum until the new year because I've put a Christmas decoration thread on it x:roll:

What a pair of Scrooges you both are x:roll: I bet you both love it secretly x:-P
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Couldnt agree with you more Mel, more is less on this occassion.
    The big inflatables should all be shot, and the owners made to do some sort of community service for making us all suffer their tacky, tastless c**p that has nothing to do with Christmas anyhow. The amount of elsectric being wasted is a sin, and who allows them to be made in the first place. Dont get me started !!

Where are the easter eggs, aint they usually in the shops by now,:lol:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Said in a guilty voice, ''I like the inflatables too x:!: ''

When should I begin my community service x:?: x:shock:
  • CJHunter
    Options
    NOOOOOOO, NOT U Joan.....

And there was me holing u in higher regard than that!!!

Your community service is to be..... Shooting all the inflatables in yr neck of the woods. Starting tonight for 20 days. Tut tut tut, Oh Joan u have let the side down. :sad:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Oh dear Clare, my guilty secret is out x:oops: x:oops:

None of us is perfect though x:lol: x:lol:
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Ok Joan, far from believe me. I just dont like blow up dolls. :oops: :lol:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • pettel
    pettel Bots Posts: 45
    Options
    i love seeing all the lights on the houses, blow up santas an all. i have to go looking for some lights etc for the front of the house tomorrow.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Mell I do like to see all the lights...but when people try to out do one another...well theres me with mi little 2 ft Christmas tree out side...and little bright blue bulbs on it....and next door..have put up a 12 ft tree with multi lights :eek: ....and father Christmas 8 ft tall coming out of a chimney..ooh and the laser lights...no only kidding.. :P
    Love
    Barbara
  • pettel
    Options
    id ask where the best place is to buy them all but it dont look like many of you like them here :|
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    pettel wrote:
    id ask where the best place is to buy them all but it dont look like many of you like them here :|
    Oh dont get me wrong I love um....we used to take our Grand children out every Christmas just to look at the lights ...it was a tradition the week before Christmas... :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • pettel
    Options
    e022.gif

There we go barbara12, i have a small tree in a pot out the front which i think i will put lights on this year. i thing a several foot one is going a bit ott but like you say the kids love them and after all its for the kids isnt it x
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Pettel,
    We haven't met before so just wanted to say hi and welcome x:-P
    Im afraid I'm guilty of going overboard big time where Christmas lights are concerned x:lol: we've a net of white lights up at the front window, and the large cherry trees on the front lawn are also draped with white lights. It's something Ive always done as I have 3 boys and Childminded little ones too,
    the looks on their little faces when it's all lit up is priceless. This year my niece Orla did the honours and turned the lights on x:-D she was so excited she made my son Jack turn them off so that she could do it again x:lol:
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Poppy, that is somewhat sedate in comparison to the blow up monstrosities u see about (scuse spelling)

I for one can handle the nice twinkly lights but when it comes to overkill bah humbug i am. x:lol:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • pettel
    Options
    hi poppy, dont you just love the looks on the little ones faces when them lights go on and the excitment as christmas day comes near. i love the wonder and excitment in the faces. magical.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Love to see a few lights but that's it ! No no no to inflatable tat ; ghastly ! Sorry to be so negative Joan , but how do you know that the money collected goes to charity rather than just to buy more tattiness ? Jillyb
  • joanlawson
    Options
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Love to see a few lights but that's it ! No no no to inflatable tat ; ghastly ! Sorry to be so negative Joan , but how do you know that the money collected goes to charity rather than just to buy more tattiness ? Jillyb

Actually, I was joking x:lol: . I don't particularly like the inflatables, but I do like the lights as I think they look cheerful and Christmassy. My neighbour who collects for charity is a very honest person who wouldn't use a penny to buy more decorations, and he has raised a lot of money for the NSPCC through his efforts.