call me Dave.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 18. Dec 2011, 08:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well there's been all sorts of arguments for and against Cameron using the dreeded veto but what do you guys and gal think?, my view was good on him for not being brow beaten by the Franco German bullies but that said he was kind of stuffed either way.
I just didn't like the way they were definetly trying to screw a bit of cash out of the banks here to pay for their mistakes they made with their monopoly money AKA the EURO, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that it was a really daft idea loaning such stupid amounts of money to basket case countries such as the PIGS, but hey you live and learn and when you do get the Brits to cough up as well even though they were never even in the single currency in the first place!.
Oh and as for the EU president Rumpole announcing straight after the meeting ended (or should that be crowing?) that the EU was going to expand even further the first thought thast went through my mind was Jesus H Christ it's the last thing they need to be doing right now, it's far to big as it is.
So me spleen's vented what do you lot think??.

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The banks, finance houses, funds, institutions, insurance and those involved in the money business would not have stayed here and been subject to EU supra governmental regulations, so better for GB to have them here giving jobs and tax to GB.

The French and Germans forced the PM into a stalemate, he could not agree to their over ruling our finance sector with their rules and we can not join the Euro to the detriment of the pound, I think he handled it well. It may lead to the breakup of our relations with the EU but ultimately there is still the EU which cannot be displaced by this new agreement.

In any case this new agreement with 26 countries has not been agreed or finalised, it will take a long long time to do that and a lot can happen in that time.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    to be honest i did not think he had the ballsso was a little shocked when he stood up for us what ever we do we are stuffed so at least we are letting them know we are not there money cow they seem to think we are if we have to go it alone it will not be easy but then it never will be copeing with them val
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    I know what you mean val didn't think he had it in him but there we are paddling our own canoe as usual, problem is now he's gone down this route he still has to do something to the banking sector it cannot be left as it is, it was Brown who took the constraints off and followed the US model it was this that was the problem, they cannot be left as they are or they will simply go on doing what they do best and that's to grab as much as they can anyway they can and hang logic or common sense this is the last chance salon so to speak, they need controlling sooner rather than later so lets hope he's done this on logical grounds and not because he's in their pocket, if he is then were kind of stuffed as he wont be tough with them if he is, if he isn't then I hate to think what will happen.
  • Airwave!
    Options
    The EU agreements cannot be changed without a vote by all 27 nations, this new agreement is by 26 nations and outside of the EU. If we veto a vote then the agreement cannot happen, if we abstain then it can, or is my understanding wrong?

To a large extent this is all new ground but does 'anything go' in these meetings or should it be by EU rules?

I have no great fondness for the EU and would vote for withdrawal, I wonder how much tax we could be rebated with if we did not participate?
  • mellman01
    Options
    I just hope Cameron hasn't simply done this to protect his mates in the banks, if he has then he's going to cause us all a lot more problems as they don't give two s***s about us or anything but their bonuses, they have no souls and are driven only by out and out greed.
    The EU has also got out of hand in my eye's, it was meant to be a trading collective as far as I remember and not a mega government as we have now, it's being driven by the French who want have little regard for logic it's based more on a dream, I was listening to radio 4 the other day and they said the French had the risk assessors division of the European central bank effectively shut down over 7 years ago so the French aren't whiter than white here.
    Brown followed the US and deregulated the UK banking sector which is like throwing a starving fox into a chicken coop.
    The deregulated banks turned logic on it's head and labelled increasing debt a financial benefit instead of a growing risk as did the EU and the US, while in the US the financial regulators were in the same flippin club/bed as the bond traders and they were given bigger bonuses the more toxic bonds they rubber stamped as Kohser, while the bond traders were producing more and more infected bonds simply laundered by hiding it in amongst safer loans and the whole thing spun out of control powered by simple unhindered greed, I mean who gives a s**t if you can get 20 times their salary in a single yearly bonus!?, oh yeah it's also tax free.
    And it's still going on even now, this is why Cameron needs to step on the banks sooner rather than later, but so far they've been left alone the bonus culture is thriving and this worries me, if it's left alone the fire will flare up again and take the rest of the metaphorical house with it.
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Yes, thanks for reminding us of that 3%, I had for gotten about that. To be honest the whole lot is of questionable honesty, it has been shown that the EU can be got round by ticking boxes (Greece joining) and being economical with the truth. I rather suspect that a lot of the eastern European countries have poor fiscal records and have teased their figures to join the great EU bunfight.

All the EU seems to be based on falsehoods rather than wholesome intentions doesn't it, smoke and mirrors as some commenters call it or lies as most know it. The EU will surely crumble one day, as most civilizations do, they all have their day (or century or two) but they all fail eventually.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Does that mean we can now leave the Eurovision song contest!

E
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein