please can anyone tell me the best heater to get.

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
edited 13. Dec 2011, 13:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
hello all.
are heating stopped yesterday we phoned the emergency
number the lady said she would book it for 8 00 this morning when we phoned this morning at 9 00 the lady said it was not booked in.my sister is in a wheelchair even the dogs are shivering.
tomorrow i go into town with dial a ride and i want to buy some heaters so as we have them when it happens again.
he's coming to fix it today some time from 12 and 5 00 i hope
you all are nice and warm and having a good day.
thank you.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,459
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Electric oil filled radiators are reasonable to use, halogen ones are economical as any, a convector heater works OK, all with a thermostat should serve as emergency domestic heating for a short period. A lot depends on what is available to you and if you can get them home.

Portable gas heaters need to be used in an aired space as they give off fumes and moisture which may not be suitable for you, ditto for paraffin? Small electric blower heaters can be costly to run.

You could ask the Red Cross or Age UK, they may have a system in place for helping vulnerable people with temporary heating problems?

Winter draws on!!!!!!!
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Airwave.
    he has just been we have to have a new board.
    he's coming on thursday he lent us some fan heaters he had in his van.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Delboy.
    no we have to pay its nice to be warm so its worth it.
    you keep warm we've had snow showers today.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I recommend a halogen heater, Joan, I got ours half-price at Argos and was so pleased I went to get another one but they had sold out. It has four bars and oscillates, and the orange glow it emits is lovely! It will be a useful back-up for you in case this happens again, or when it's one of those days when it's not cold enough for all the heating but a touch of warmth is needed. Fan heaters are expensive to run but as you say, needs must. Fleece blankets and hotties are useful too! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you DD
    yes we have fleece blankets we use our bunglow is so big it take's a lot to warm it when it gets cold.
    thank you for your help.
    the lady at the chemist phoned to ask if when i'm around could i pick up 1 tablet of the aldronic acid as i have a box of 4 and 5 would make the month.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Joan
    We have a couple of oil filled radiators and they have thermostat on so can be left on at night....it goes off when up to the temp you want...then come back on as it drops...I hope you get it sorted very soon....xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hi Joan

Poor poor you and very very sensible to get something to keep you both warm

Halogen are quick instant and fairly cheap to run, but oil filled are really good and the heat stays on after you have unplugged them so you can pop them in the bathroom before you have a bath.

Spot the person who gets cold x;)

Good luck

Love

Toni xx

PS what about wearing your hat indoors??