glucosamine sulfate

Options
dfawke
dfawke Member Posts: 19
hiya is it safe to take glucosamine sulfate whilst trying for a baby? i have stopped taking the cotraception pill about 2 monthes ago and also the glucosamine sulfate. just would like your advice? i found it helped me a lot as i have mild oesteoarthritus in my knee. and with the cold weather being upon us its a lot stiffer lately. donna

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Donna

Thanks for your message.

From the information we have Glucosamine sulphate appears to be safe, though it may increase the level of sugar in your blood, so if you have diabetes its best to check with your doctor if it’s all right to continue taking it.

For a report on its effectiveness and safety see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/complementary_therapies/glucosamine.aspx.

For information on knee pain see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_types_and_symptoms/knee_pain.aspx.

It may be worth checking with your doctor or pharmacist anyway, just to make sure that it will do no harm, if you are trying for a baby.

Please ring us on the helplines (0808 800 4050) if you would like to have a chat about this.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Donna

I just did a quick google and found this:

Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate Contraindications and Warnings

It is known that the following groups of patients should only take the supplements under close medical supervision or should avoid them altogether:

•Children, as well as women who are pregnant and/or nursing, or who could become pregnant. There is currently not enough research available to determine whether or not taking glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements has negative effects on young children or a foetus.

I wish you well.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.