whats this new secure forum

2»

Comments

• pettel
    pettel Bots Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This letter was sent to users who over the year have expressed unhappiness or disquiet about the way the forum currently is. Some of whom have stopped posting. For sake of conveinience I will call them 'Group A'.

This was part of the post by the web manager. there is no group a it was just a way to define different persons with out naming people i think, at least thats how it sounded to me. anyway. a figure of speach if you like.

the thing i would like to know is why are there so many persons apparently unhappy that this has become a reality, obviously there must be a lot of persons who have felt they can not join in for whatever reason. .
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Is it not the case that the Webmanager is simply trying to take ALL members needs into consideration?

As he states in his post, over the last few months he and the Director, have been made aware of the disquiet, of many of this Forum`s members, regarding certain styles of posting. A helluva lot of members have stopped posting altogether. That is not good either for those members or for AC, as a whole. Hence, the suggestion that, perhaps, those making the complaints, would find the Scottish Forum more acceptable. I think it really is as simple as that.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    sorry having a down day and read this it set me off so sorry for rant i know you are doing your best for all of us val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    All forum members were notified via email about the new Connect Scotland site on 2 November so everyone got an invitation. So far it would seem that not many of us have joined judging by the amount of postings although it is early days yet. There is no guarantee that another arthritis forum, run in the same way as this one, will end up any different, is there?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    angel1 wrote:
    Is it not the case that the Webmanager is simply trying to take ALL members needs into consideration?

As he states in his post, over the last few months he and the Director, have been made aware of the disquiet, of many of this Forum`s members, regarding certain styles of posting. A helluva lot of members have stopped posting altogether. That is not good either for those members or for AC, as a whole. Hence, the suggestion that, perhaps, those making the complaints, would find the Scottish Forum more acceptable. I think it really is as simple as that.

Hi Ange (and Lynn)

I'm sorry if anyone has left this forum, but people leave for many reasons. Sometimes, they simply get bored or move on to other sites. We have no evidence that they have left because of disquiet regarding certain styles of posting. I certainly hope that if my style of posting offends anyone, they would discuss it sensibly with me in a PM, and not leave the forum because of it.

We can't agree with ( or even like ) everyone who posts on any forum, and I'm sure that this will apply to the Scottish forum just as much as this one. But you don't have to respond to every poster, so if there's someone who you dislike for some reason, you have the option to ignore them.

I still can't quite understand how the Scottish forum is going to be more ''secure'' than this one, and in what way more acceptable?

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • angel1
    Three things Joan.

1....I truly do not want to get into a war of words. I rarely post any more, but as I am involved in this to some extent, I feel I need to speak out.

2.....YOU may not have any evidence of disquiet, but then why should you? However, I can assure you there is written evidence in abundance, with the Director, and she has been looking into this for many weeks now.

3.....Why on earth should the majority of posters spend their time "avoiding" what they find offensive, whilst the offensive ones continue. There seems to be an attempt being made to play down what has been happening here. I would just say, look at how very few regular posters there are now, as opposed to this time last year. The Forum is a travesty of what it was. I personally feel that not many people will take up the Scottish idea, but, as Lynn said, it is at least an option, to get in on the ground floor, and help create the sort of Forum that would be perhaps more acceptable to certain posters.....AC has a Duty of Care to ALL it`s members, not just the most vociferous....I hope now we can leave it at that, as it will have no effect on those, like yourself, choosing to remain here.........Ange.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Ange, who are the offensive ones? I hope that you don't count me in as being offensive in any way. You seem to have inside information which I'm not in possession of.

If we are all invited to join the Scottish forum, how is that going to be made more secure? Are some posters to be excluded, and who will decide who can join? I understood that we could be members of both.

Sorry not to leave it at that, but I do care a lot about this forum.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • angel1
    You need to pose your questions to either the Webmanager, or the Director, Joan.

To repeat myself, I will not engage in a war of words.......Ange.x.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    rehab44 wrote:
    Have the Connect Scottish forum members actually been informed that new members who might not be Scottish are being advised to 'shape its culture'

I just can’t get my head round the idea of a group of disaffected non-Scots being invited to provide a core group for the new Scottish forum. If it were a Yorkshire forum, with an invited core group of people from Home Counties, Wales and Scotland there’d be civil war and I could well be leading it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Sadly the non-lurkers left the forum long ago and tell me they will never post on AC again.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    When in a hole it's a b***y good idea to stop digging if you ask me.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Of course silly me :roll: I forgot Mell, only you and yours can put your side of things on AC. We cannot claim Diplomatic immunity.

I thought I'd just put other view point up to balance things up.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Can we please, please have some peace here? I cannot be the only one who finds this whole debacle distasteful and unhelpful. In 4 days time it will be Christmas and then a New Year, a perfect time to reflect, to be honest about ourselves and all of our strengths, shortcomings and faults, after all we are all human, and we all have them. Perhaps we could ALL try to be at least civil, cordial and polite, basic manners and kindness costs nothing.
    Wishing each and everyone of our forum members a peaceful and joyous Christmas. X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Very well said, Poppy.

Jean

x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D x:-D
This discussion has been closed.