What are people's opinions of homeopaths?

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 1. Jan 2012, 08:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
After nearly 14 years of nhs treatment I'm going to see a homeopath to see if they can help. Slightly sceptical about it all but getting desperate.

What experience have you had with them?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jenzie06,
    I am sorry to hear you're not feeling well and I can completely understand the need of trying anything to make things better.
    I myself don't have any experience with homeopathy but some years ago my mum, who has RA like me, tried it. All I remember was that she had that big card box of bottles and that it was quite tricky to remember what and how much and when to take. Unfortunately I don't think it was any good and eventually she stopped taking it (as it was not cheap either).
    I think it would be good if you asked your GP about it. I know that some of them are trained homeopaths. And maybe stick with all your current drugs while you're on the new therapy. That's just my humble opinion x:-)
    I wish you all the best.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Before I knew what was wrong with me I tried homeopathy as I was depserate for some sort of help. Like my GP the homeopathist also failed to recognise the signs of an inflammatory arthritis and prescribed all sorts of little white tablets made of gawd-knows-what and nothing happened to improve matters. I made her a little richer but she couldn't make me even a little better. My opnion? They're fine if there's nowt really wrong with you but like to think there is. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    All I can say is try to find one who is a GP as well as a homeopath.
    I used to go to one a long time ago...when the kids were little {now in their 30's x:lol: }
    I didnt have arthritis at the time so cant really comment except to say she was qualified as a GP as well but practiced as a homeopath.
    Good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    This probably sounds like a daft question, Jenzie06, but what exactly are you looking for from a homeopath that the NHS can't give? I ask because we know there is, as yet, no cure for arthritis and no reversal of damage done. DMARDS and paindullers do just that but nothing will stop it in its tracks. If you're simply hoping for less pain, I'd personally rather go down the route of hydro and physio which have definite benefits.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm trying to help myself feel better. I've thought about getting a second opinion as I feel that my consultant has become bogged down with my treatment (its how I feel too). Its a constant path of trying a new drug, reacting with it then moving onto the next one. I don't feel like it's doing me any good and I just feel worse and worse. But my husband asked if I was looking for someone to wave a magic wand to make me better and if I was to get a second opinion then I would probably get the same result and feel rubbish about it. Plus I would have expended a lot of time and effort in getting the same result.

I'm not getting rid of any of my meds that the rhuemy has given me. The homeopath will have to work with them.

I'm planning to see what she is like but if I'm not happy then I won't persue it as its lots of money and my poor dad is paying, bless him.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I really hope the homeopath can help you, Jenzie. There are different ways of 'feeling better'. Sometimes, just the fact of doing or trying something different can help - homeopathy, acupuncture, massage, aromatherapy. All I've ever tried of these is acupuncture and I believe it helped, very minimally and at some expense, to take the edge off the pain for a very short time.

Sometimes though, it can help just to do something different in other ways - an evening, or day class in something that's always interested you, voluntary work, joining a group of people who do....I don't know....whatever rocks your boat.

One thing's for sure. You have a good, kind Dad. For both your sakes I hope the homeopathy helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    If it feels right for you I hope that you get some help-but maybe you ought to speak to your rheumy about mixing homeopathic drugs with standard drugs as there may be some unpleasant or unsafe interactions. I'm fairly sure that not all alternative practitioners have medical training or qualifications, and it may end up making things worse for you. My son who is a doctor tells me that many homeopathic grugs are produced in umregulated conditions so there isn't the same stringent controls over the strength and purity of the preparations that are used.
    Sorry to sound like a wet blanket-just thought that maybe I ought to share the reservations.

Hope that things start to pick up soon, take care. Blessings

Deb x
  • VictoriaPlum
    VictoriaPlum Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Jenzie, ive just recently been diagnosed with RA and on methotrexate for 3 weeks now so waiting for it to take effect. The annoying thing i find with ra is that it fluctuates.
    Ive been to see a naturopath for 2 months now but no positive effect yet. she put me on a clay detox and vegan diet but the ra kept getting worse.
    i've read that a low or no starch diet can help and will try that, plus i am eating healthy foods like sardines which are full of vit d and omega 3 oil and calcium.
    What i'm leading up to say is that i think it is worth you seeing a homepath because even if it doesn't work you can rule it out.
    Everyone is different and for some a vegan diet helps, others a caveman diet and others herbs and things.
    i think its a complex disease and the only way to find true health is by trying different things while sticking to your meds.
    Ive spent a lot of money on supps and the naturopath but there is no price on good health, so i say give it a go and let us know the outcome
    :smile: