starting first meds for RA, sulfasalazine today...scared

Options
peridotlouise
peridotlouise Member Posts: 81
edited 22. Dec 2011, 16:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm starting my RA medication today, i'm nervous as it's the start of a very long road i'm assuming.
My rheumy said i can drink at christmas sensibly, so at least i can still have a glass of champagne and baileys to celebrate christmas.
I'm so worried about any side effects though. I'm hoping these work aswell.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You won't know how it will affect you until you take it and for all you know it may work wonderfully well with little trouble. I have been on the maximin dose for ten years and it keeps the psoriasis part of my PA at bay, your arthritis has been caught wonderfully early and it could well be that sulph may turn out to be all you need. Let's hope so, yes? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    It's a really effective drug, It helps my RA though I take it in combination with Plaquinel. Make sure you take it with food-it's kinder on your stomach that way. Hope all goes well-try not to worry about it and get on with enjoying Christmas. Blessings

Deb xx x;)
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    My first tip is to not read the side effects leaflet or look it up online. It only serves to makes you anxious. Generally, people know their own bodies and you'll notice if something is different. Side effects also can ease off, so don't worry if you feel a bit rubbish when it starts. Although, obviously I hope you'll feel fine on it. Sulfa wasn't the right drug for me but I have my fingers crossed it will work fabulously for you.

Enjoy your Christmas drinks. I'm now thinking about adding Bailey's to the shopping list! x:-P

All the best of luck and you know where to find us.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    been taking it for two weeks now and still feeling a bit sick when have taken it but it goes off and only been on full dose couple of days so am sure it will go away soon. it to early to say if helping but go back to rhummy in feb for blood tests i hope it works for both of us good luck val
    val
  • peridotlouise
    peridotlouise Member Posts: 81
    Options
    literally just taken it now. ate a big dinner first and had a big glass of water. fingers crossed this works for me...
    thanks everyone, val good luck to you too!
  • annalou
    annalou Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Aww really hope it works for you. Like the others have said, try not to think about the side effects, easier said than done I know. And me too, can't stop thinking about the Baileys yum!! Happy Christmas! xx Annalou
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    literally just taken it now. ate a big dinner first and had a big glass of water. fingers crossed this works for me...
    thanks everyone, val good luck to you too!

well done that the worse over the first is hard good luck val
    val