OH Physician

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 30. Dec 2011, 05:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Work have got me an appointment with an OH physician. Any tips on what to expect?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry, I've no idea, PollySid, but I'm bumping this up in the hope that someone who has might see it. It might also be worth posting it on the Working Matters forum but I suspect both will be fairly quiet for a few days.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Polly,

i not really sure but think its a very good idea cus they might be able to make some adjustments to make things a lot easier for you. i hope someone with some experience will come in soon but hang in there and hopefully they will help you a bit. Cris x
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Polly, i have had referrals to the Oh Doctors and both times they asked about my condition, my medication and how it affected my ability to do normal activities and work activities for me it was a way to get my RA and OA recognised and to outline certain aspects of activities i found difficult for example i can only drive an automatic car so the doctor put int he report that i was to only have automatic cars(as hire cars or if i got a job that involved having my own car/van) i work for a major company and it is possible to move jobs within the company.
    The doctor will write a report for you employer with details of what conditions you have how they affect you and anything that you need assistance with.

Did you ask for the referral or was it work that sent you for it?
  • laney
    laney Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I think what you want to ask them is just as important as what they will ask you. I recommend making a list before you go in and pull it out to make sure you cover all your questions. OH Physicians tend to be quite good, so I'm sure you'll be in good hands.
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hiya ,I have spoken with a OH doc that was arranged through work when they eventualy got the idea my condition wasnt improving.
    I was sent a series of questions and asked to complete them then this doc phoned me to ask me in more detail.
    Thought was a tad strange doing it over the phone, but this is how this was how they worked.
    They were helpful and did listen.

In my new job i have been asked to complete a OH assesment form and will be seeing them in new year.
    Can only be a good thing in my opinion to help make things easier to manage at work.

All the best.
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Polly

They are there to make sure they get the best out of the copany's employees, including you.

There is probably stacks ore on this on the working with forum, just incase you haven't looked.

As the others have said it's to get information from you about what you can and can't do. In theory should be helpful to you as well as them. As others have said things can be put in place to enable you to do your job.

good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I feel a bit less anxious about the appointment now.
    I was up at silly o'clock last night as I woke with a nightmare and was aching too much to get back to sleep.
    I spent the time listing the difficulties I have at work and home. I must say reading it back was a revelation. It is amazing what a difference getting your feelings down in print makes.
    It is a shame I can't get my husband to read it as it would give him more of an insight into my feelings and the problems I have. He is dyslexic so would run a mile if I presented him with 2-3 A4 sheets to read. :) He seems to understand more than he used to which is good.
    I will take it to the meeting either for me to refer to or to give to the interviewer to read through. At least then I won't forget to tell them anything, as I think I have got most of it down and I can always add to it over the week if I think of something else.
    I am expecting to be told that I can't do THAT job but to be put on JS to try to get a job I can do.
    When I went to the D.I.A.L. for advise they thought that I may be put on Pension Credit (I thought that had ceased) instead of JS because I only have 12 months to state retirement. There are not many places would take me on knowing that I would only be there for a year.