Can RA really effect the chest wall ? :-((

Options
theresa4
theresa4 Member Posts: 696
edited 27. Dec 2011, 19:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to see gp as had really bad pain back and front of my lower rib cage. He says he thinks it's inflammation of chest wall due to RA. It calmed down for a few days but I woke up this morning with all joints hurting and my chest in agony it hurts to breathe and cough or laugh. Pain dullers not even touching it.
Sorry I'm such a misog on this festive day I hope the rest of you are having a good one and Arthur has gone on his holidays x:-D
Merry Christmas all

Love Theresa
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi i get pain in sturnum had steroid injection in it and it helped but has now worn off when it bad all the chest muscles go into spasam and it so apinfull can understand where you are coming from might be worth getting touch with your rhummy for some extra help.
    try ice on swelling and warmth(wheat bag) after does help a little. val
    val
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hello Theressa - and Happy Christmas!

As I understand it (& somone who knows more than me will be able to tell you much more than me) its something called 'deffered' pain. You joints can hurt say in your back, but - then pain is felt some inches away (sometimes in the kidney area).

Hope you (& everyone else) has a lovely day today xx
    Moragxx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hi , Theresa , I too get pain in the chest wall area and yes , this is normal ! I'm a RAer of long standing ( 31 years ) , and have now got accustomed to these odd pains in unexpected areas . Hope you've been able to enjoy your christmas in spite of the aches . Jillyb
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hi, I get rib pain and the docs called it costrocondritis (inflimation of cartlidge of ribs i believe) i had steroid injections which helped. The consult did say that the chilli derived cream may help.

Not sure if this is same thing but thought i would mention. Hope you are doing ok.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • theresa4
    Options
    Hi all thank you for taking time out of your Day to reply. I've enjoyed my day but have had alot of pain breathing, laughing and moving and quite a few tears when I get sharp spikes. So if it is my RA that means I will get it again not really happy bout that. It is like Pleurisy I had when I was 15 even dhc pain dullers not helping along with para and ibuprofen x:cry:
    Hope all your days have gone well x.
    Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Theresa,

Sorry to hear you're suffering so much. :( I also get this pain. It comes in flares and I can have months without it. Sometimes it flares up with my other joints and sometimes, not. Occasionally, an ice pack on the sorest ribs seem to help me or a heat pack may work for you. I prefer ice to heat if I feel swollen.

Glad you had a good day but sorry the pain hasn't eased. It might be worth a visit to your GP if things don't improve but fingers crossed they do.

Sophie x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Theresa,

I hope you have had a reasonable Boxing day?

The answer to the question is it can effect the lungs, its got a name bit i don't remember it I am afraid.

i get seething very like it, I also get the costrocondritis but the lung thing really hurts breathing coughing etc. Mine lasts about 2-3 months then backs off fr a bit....

its leaving me along just now but it its part of my feeling cut in half thing as well....

If your gp does think its moving into the lining... Flower you need to ee your rumo really as soon as you can.

Take care and I hope it will soon back down. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hiya

l am with Cris

it is very wise to get this checked out to be on teh safe side...l too had pleurosy many years back and maybe a chest xray woudl be an idea.

When are you due to see rheumy? l would chase that one up and/see the nurse there to see if they can help.

Love

Toni xx
  • theresa4
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm feeling a bit better today the pain is calming down in my chest. I see my rheumy at the end of jan so I will speak to her then. I'm pretty sure
    Y gp was right as it seems to come and go randomly. I spent yesterday at my dads and had quite a good day despite some Pain.
    Thanks again to all of you for taking time to reply to my unwelcome guest problem.

Theresa x

Theresa xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you can get some small ice packs (used for children) that is great for using on sternum swelling but wrap in face cloth it does help when things bad alternate with warmth val
    val
  • theresa4
    Options
    Hi val
    Me and ice packs do not get on it chills through my bones and causes pain right through me if I ice my hand the pain goes through my arm up to my shoulder. It has past though so I think I will have to learn to grin and bear it.
    Theresa x

Theresa xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Theresa,

I am a bit worried about this you know.... Whats your gp doing about it flower? I am very glad your seeing your rumo the end of Jan, you wont really get that brought forward but please get him /her to check this one out.

I find with mine i am just so uncomfortable but heat helps and mine is complicated a bit by the costochondritis as well.... mine is the ribs actually having arthritis in the cartridges but in your case a chest xray really might be a good idea and the gp can arrange that one for you if they think it has gone into the lining.....

Shall be glad when you have had one.

Tr and find a comfortable position and stay there is what I try and do but mine is the ribs them selves and not into the lining. You take care and feel better soon. Cris x