Far From Silent Night

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 27. Dec 2011, 03:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
On reflection, midnight mass mightn't have been the best idea. The mulled wine, once we got back home, definitely wasn't, good though it tasted at the time. These days our church doesn't have a choir so much as a band, led, enthusiastically by the guitar strummer who bangs out the rhythm while a large guy (looking nothing like the angel Gabriel) blasts us with his trumpet, someone else thumps a keyboard and an array of recorders squeak out of tune in an effort to be heard.

In a rollicking half hour of carols beforehand, we had:

Far From Silent Night
While Shepherds Bickered
The First NoSlacking
In the Loud Midwinter
Angels We Haven't Half Heard on High
The Angel Gabriel From Heaven Blared
and O Get Your Asses in Gear All Ye Faithful, among others.

It all clattered along at a sprint and full volume with not even a break for breath between verses.

And then, back home, the mulled wine 'til 2.30am. I have only myself to blame for that but it's Christmas so I shall be forgiving with myself, even though my joints aren't. And previously I'd twisted my back into a pulled muscle when my sister wanted Scrabble at the warm coffee table not the cooler dining table so I was at an awkward angle throughout. However, I found the combo of mulled wine and cocos made for an excellent sleep until she-who-had-not-partaken-of-the-wine got up bright and early and distinctly unhungover.

Ah well, Xmas dinner - a combo of Mr SW's skills with beef and mine with veggies - was excellent as was the wine (I know. I know). Pud had to wait until we we're slightly less pogged but then no 1 son rang so we got an hour and half of watching our 2 yr old US grandson opening his presents (One "'Appy Kissmas, Ganma" and this heart of stone melts into soppy goo) followed by 1/2 hour on the phone with No2 son & grandson, by which time we felt up to the pudding task. It's always been rum sauce for us, made with roughly equal quantities of milk and rum. To this mix we ad a bit of pudding.

Will the joints be ready for a Boxing Day wheelchair walk? It'll probably be more wheelchair than walk but so what? Merry Christmas everyone.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well......phew....
    Can't wait for tomorrows update sticky x:lol:

I suggest that you spell the word Twister on the scrabble board and not give a demonstration (wrong game x:lol: )

No seriously. I hope after more mulled wine and a good sleep tonight your back has eased.

Enjo your wheelchair/walk

Love Juliepf x
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Oh Sticky you have mafe me chuckle. You tell them so well :wink:

Have a good night and hope you feel up for your fresh air before boxing day wine begins x:smile:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Morning Sticky
    Hope the walk goes well....I couldnt face one...although I have to face a "family pary" at about 3pm....I could well do without that :roll: Our pud has brandy sauce and like you we had to leave it a while after our lunch before attempting it :lol:
    Enjoy your walk/ride or whatever.....it'll be fresh air.
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi SW
    You enjoy that walk, I am hoping today will be nice and quite, but have a feeling that we will be descended upon.....at least the weather is fit for getting out....
    And thanks for the laugh. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sticky,

hope you enmjoyed the walk? A few of these were watching ut for you... well they said they were watching out but who knows what they were really up to.....

he has the suit on and has a bucket of better days, anti-bone hurt and of course he has the ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    I suggest that you spell the word Twister on the scrabble board and not give a demonstration (wrong game x:lol: )

Julie, I demonstrate it effortlessly, without trying. x:lol:

The walk round the dam was brilliant. Only about 1 ¼ miles door to door but I managed about ½ mile of it walking. I could only do the into-the-wind stretches as the wind was fierce and just took my legs from under me when it was at my back but fighting the head wind was exhilarating. Sezier, I think I saw her at one point but it could have been a plane failing to take off in the wind.

As I was as warm as toast when I got back (Thanks to my new Peruvian titfer – I look a b-gg-er in it but it does its job and keeps the wind off my ears), I sadly felt a glass of mulled wine would be unjustified. Besides, it tastes much better when you’re frozen to the marrow so I was good. (Please note date and time.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Oh Sticky

you did make me giggle there x:lol: .

The 'medcinal uses' of mulled wine are many and l am glad it has helped you. Sadly for me it causes severe vomitting even after one measly glass. So if you could please have my sahre for me??

Well done for the exercise and the hat looks lovely x:-D

Love and hugs

Toni xx