Just a tad poorly

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 28. Dec 2011, 11:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good evening my lovelies. I wish you all a very merry Christmas and hope you've had a good day.

I've had an infection in both ears for weeks that couldn't be cured with drops and I was prescribed antibiotics on Thursday. Since then, I've developed a rotten cold and cough. I blame my sister who has returned home from uni with lots of germs! It's methotrexate day and I'm wondering if I should put it off until tomorrow or even just skip the dose altogether? I've been on antibiotics and MTX before but I wasn't feeling as ill as I was as I am right now.

I'm not sure what to do and any advice would be much appreciated. I've been flaring for a few weeks and I would rather not miss a dose but I also don't want to feel any worse than I do now.

Thanks in advance,
Sophie x;)

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie, Sorry to hear you are poorly.

Its always the case when docs are not there for advice that you need it. When i used to be on MTX and became unwell i was always advised to talk to my G.P or Rheummy nurse.

I wouldnt like to advise on this as I dont want to make you worse x:roll:
    Have you thought of asking NHS Direct for advice?

Sorry i'm not much use, hope you feel much better soon.

P.s in response to your other post. You are not alone hun, I and others are about if you need to chat.

Take care.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Sorry you're having a rough time of it, Starburst. I'm also sorry but I can't remember how long you've been on methotrexate. If you've been on it for a few months I don't think missing one dose would make much difference to your joints. I'd to give it up for a few weeks before one op and it was slow to register that I had done. I think most people on here have been told to not take meth if they have an infection of any kind. I never was though, when I was on a 6 week post-op course of antibiotics, my rheumatologist was surprised no-one had told me to drop the meth. In view of all this, I think - totally unqualified as I am - you'd be best to pass on the meth this week but it would be better to get a medical opinion - maybe from NHS Direct or the pharmacist of whatever local chemist is open. I hope you feel better soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Options
    I've been on MTX since May 2010. I've skipped a dose before to heal up some mouth ulcers. I'm sure missing it this week it can't make me feel any worse than I'm feeling right now. (I'm desperate to sleep!)

I might pop to the doctor tomorrow if I can squeeze in an out-of-hours appt. I think I've got a chest infection and want to make sure I'm on the right ABs.

Thank you both. xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good thinking, Starburst. Please let us know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sophie
    Sorry I cant help with the meds, but I just want to add my support, I do hope you start to feel better very soon.
    Its rotten when you have all that going on at once...sending you some very gentle hugs (((())) and please let us know how you are getting on. x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Dear Sophie

l hope your quietness is because you have been busy over Chrsitmas and not that you are still poorly??

Love

Toni xxx x:-?
  • Starburst
    Options
    Sorry for not replying sooner, have been sleeping most of the time. The GP said my chest sounds not too bad and thinks it's all viral - cold, cough, sore throat, blocked everywhere yet snotty....yuck! My ears are still semi-infected and I've been given me some more drops and told to finish antibiotics. After peering at my notes, she said it could be inflammation in my breastbone and then pressed really, really, really, really, really (you get the picture but it was VERY painful!) hard right in the middle of my chest. "Does this hurt?" I nodded while thinking "no, I'm just squealing with joy!!". All my other joints are flaring, so I guess the costo has decided to join in.

I'm pretty miserable. :cry:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh dear, Starburst! You are most certainly not expected to reply when you are ill so please don’t apologise.

In my book, anything that raises the temperature is likely to raise the RA levels too. Whatever it is, pamper it – rest, fluids, fruit etc. And, if the chest gets worse, don’t be afraid to go back and say so although, hopefully, the antibiotics will sort it out. I do hope you feel better soon.
    Steven Wright