Neck and shoulder pain with Sulfasalazine

Options
Star2001
Star2001 Member Posts: 96
edited 30. Dec 2011, 03:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. Can anyone who has taken Sulfasalazine tell me if neck pain and shoulder pain might be a side effect? I haven't pulled a muscle and there are no swollen glands that I can feel. I am just about to move on to full dosage of 2 grams a day and have been doing ok apart from bowel probs and a bit of nausea but this pain has been persistent for 3 days and the nurses are not available over the holidays. I am ready to ring gp when they open tomorrow but just wanted some background info if anyone can help - I know we cannot diagnose as we are not medically trained but it often helps to know if others are familiar with such things. I hope you all enjoyed the Christmas holiday.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Star

I am sorry to hear about your neck and shoulder pain. I sympathise because I have painful shoulder problems too. Where is your pain that caused the medic to prescribe sulpha? Apologies to ask a further question to your question.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Star2001
    Options
    Hi Elna, my pain is mainly in my hands and wrists and the neck/shoulder pain is new to me. I have RA so I wonder if this could be the problem starting in other places! Thanks for reading.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Star, Sorry to hear you're suffering. RA can flare just about anywhere-I too have problems with neck pain and sometimes shoulders/elbows too-it's a mysterious disease that seems to keep springing surprises. I take sulfasalazine too, but don't think that it has caused any of my pains!!!! Mind you it gives my tummy some grief.
    Hope the doc can give you some help.
    Deb x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    not been on it long but not given me that kind of problem hope you get some help soon val
    val
  • Star2001
    Options
    Hi Deb and Val. Thanks for replying. Yes I do wonder if this is a flare and not a side effect. My tummy troubles have been bad too up to now but I hope it will settle after I get used to the drug. I will see how I go tomorrow when I'll be on full dose for the first time. I'm looking forward to the time when the Sulfa does it's job and gives some relief :smile: but then you'll both be feeling or have felt the same at times. Thanks again for posting.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Star

On reading though possible side effects of sulpha, muscle and joint aches are listed. It could well be a flare but I feel it would be best to float this past your medic/gp/rheumi/rheumi nurse to be on the safe side. As you have posted the question to us, it is on your mind, which is only natural.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Star,

I also so sympathise with you there, I get huge neck and shoulder pain as well and its no fun is it?

Again like Elna said it might be a side effect or it might be a flare and hopefully the gp's can help you there.

|It sometimes helps to wrap a scarf around the neck to give a bit of gentle support and might be worth you trying that one maybe? If it doesn't help you can remove it again.

When does the rumo nurse come back flower? You could do with some help from a medic cus t could be more than one thing.

I hope it on eases off for you. Cris x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Star,
    Just a thought, but my Rheumy nurse referred me to orthotics for a soft collar, it looks absurd, but when the neck thing is too bad I wear it for a few hours at a time and it gives me some relief. Though I have to admit the children I teach (5 yr olds) ask so many questions that I'm very tempted to take it off- it also serves to warn the nearest and dearest I'm suffering and likely to be a little tetchy!

Hopoe you've had a reasonable day. :grin:
    Deb x
  • laney
    laney Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain. Sulfasalazine has all sorts of side effects, including muscle pain. That's the frustrating thing about medications. You never know which side effect you're going to get until you try it. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Star2001
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support. I rang the rheumy nurse who didn't think the pains were to do with the Sulfa so I saw the gp who prescribed Tramadol and Amitryptilene late on Wenesday evening. This also coincided with increasing my Sulfa to 2 grams a day and I have spent most of yesterday and last night feeling, and being, sick with awful aches everywhere - just like flu pain. I rang the nurse again this morning and she told me to ask for some anti-sickness pills from gp so I will do that now. She also said I could go back down to 3 Sulfa a day if things don't settle. Thanks again and I hope you all have a good day today.