When do I use walking aids?

Options
suetb
suetb Member Posts: 2
edited 31. Dec 2011, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
How do you make the decision on when to use crutches/wheelchair?
Should you keep walking as long as you can get one foot in front of the other or should you use a wheelchair if it means you can enjoy activities without pain and fatigue?
I've been making myself dizzy thinking this one round in circles.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Suetb and welcome to the forum. I hope you’ve had a good Christmas.

Walking aids are a bit of an individual thing. I’ve never used sticks or crutches because I can’t hold them safely and also because my feet stick out so I tend to trip myself up with them. x:roll: However, lots of others on the forum use them, rollators and scooters and find them very helpful. I hope some of them will be along soon to help.

I first hired a wheelchair for a holiday many years ago because my limitations were preventing not just me but also the rest of my family from doing things. Now I’ve had my own wheelchair for years but I still prefer to use it only when absolutely necessary because I don’t want my muscles to pack in altogether. So it comes out for ‘walks’ in the countryside, air travel and days out with the family. (It often travels in the car boot ‘just in case’ and never gets used.)

Basically, I think any aid that lessens the pain is good but I wouldn’t personally want to use a wheelchair or scooter any more than I needed to because it’s so important for us arthritics to keep what muscle strength we have, otherwise the pain just increases. What does your doc suggest?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to the forum. I hope you find us useful and friendly.

I sometimes use a stick, but only if I feel my hip is wobbly and likely to let me down, or if I'm going out in a crowd. I've noticed that a lot of people respect the walking stick and will open heavy doors, pick up things I've dropped and generally be a bit more understanding about things like slow walking. If I'm going out for a walk on muddy paths or icey ones (we live in the middle of the countryside and don't have pavements etc,), I use a proper walking pole and some times both of them, as I'm worried I'll slip. My hands are very painful, which tends to stop me using them unless I really need to.

If you need the help of a walking aid to live your life as you want to and do all the normal things, then thats right for you,
    use the stick or chair and enjoy life!!! That's my motto!!! 8)
    Love Sue xxx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I used sticks for years ; not just to help my balance , but because it " warns " people to take a little care rather than barging into you ! I then moved onto a rollator as sticks tended to disappear onto the floor at every opportunity . A couple of years ago I made another change to a wheelchair as my lack of mobility was causing problems to my hubby and the rest of the family . Now that I'm on wheels , I'm able to join in and be a part of all the activities . We are now able to enjoy our walks along the prom without having to stop every few minutes so I can rest . Guess what I mean to say is ; if you feel that sticks , rollator or wheels would help , then go for it . The important thing is that you and your family feel comfortable . Jillyb
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I have a scooter for longish {what I call longish now :lol: } walks......My husband never said anything but since I got the scooter we go so much further.....we dont stop somewhere and just walk up the main street because thats all I can do.
    Recently I got a 4 wheel rollator......for the simple reason that as far as I'm concerned....... Use it or Lose it.....so i decided to keep moving {intermediate walks} with the rollator, also that it would give me some exercise and I might get back to target weight {some chance :lol: } The other thing is I had to rely on my husband to take me somewhere with the scooter then he would leave and i would go shopping or whatever.......but with this.....as long as I'm not going to be there for hours I pack it into my car, drive myself there and walk around so a bit more independence.
    But dont suffer and try to walk when its agony.....you hve the choices....sticks, rollators, scooter or wheelchair. So mix and match if you can.
    Love
    Hileena
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

There is some truth in keep walking as long as you can but if sticks or crutches make it easier then use then now I think.

They are good for balance if your not so good at that one and they help take some of the weight off the legs and body. (that's why I use them cus the back will no longer hold me up on its own at times)

I honestly think if they help you then its time to use them and as Jilly says it foes make you more visible to others. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hey Sue

my opinion is keep moving as long and as much as you can - use walking aids to help achieve that. As others have said it keeps your muscle tone as much as poss and also better for you in terms of your health...less likely to get other health issues if you are mobile - even constipated. x:oops:

BUT getting out is really important too so if the only way to get out is in a chair then l for one would do it AND sometimes so 'we' can enjoy stuff as a family. Risk of falls and severe pain have to be taken into account as well.

Not an easy answer is it? l think it is an individual thing very much.

Take care

love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Sue, I would say like me this is a decision you need to make, I try and use my walking crutches about the house and short trips out. If I'm out all day or on a trip where it will mean alot of walking I take my chair and use it.
    It's a case of balancing out so you don't burn yourself out or cause more damage. You have to listen to your body and learn to know where your cut off points are where it's helping and burning yourself out. It took me along time to learn and I still end up doing to much. (you can ask my OH he will tell you I'm stupid sometimes and end up suffering for it!) But you soon understand when to use your walking aids and when you need your chair. Hope this helps alittle, and Merry Christmas.
  • margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    This is a question ive wondered about too.Ive pain in both knees, hips and my back my doctor is refering me to rheummy doc she thinks Ive seronegative arthritis. What Id like to kno is where do i get a stick if I do get one, as its very sore to walk with two sore knees and hips. :???:
    Margaret
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Any decent disability shop sells sticks, Margaret64, and most will/should instruct you in how to use them. However, with two bad knees, hips an back, you might be better with a rollator. Again, a decent shop will let you test them free of charge. You could buy online but everything needs to be at exactly the right height or it could do more harm than good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Surely if you need a stick your OT will provide one then you can look around for one that suites you. I got my very first one in ar@@os and the 2nd one in timps@@s {shoes??}....I managed to find someone online who hired rollators......he was disabled as well and did it from home. I hired one for a week and then decided I would buy one because it was helping.....It cost me £7.50 a week to hire......what a large sum :lol:
    Thats the best I can tell you.....
    When I bought mine it was from a disability shop and they made sure that it was the right height for me
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You use them when you need them. I have been on crutches for years and have now graduated to a rollator. A wheelchair and/or scooter will now not be far away but so what? If it means I can do more, go further, join in activities without tiring too quickly or causing myself unnecessary pain then that is a good thing. Walking independantly is not all that it is cracked up to be, expecially when it hurts. I never thought I would be crumbling like this at the comparatively young age of 52 but I am. It matters not. I can do stuff - that's what matters. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben