wheat bags any good?

Options
babytiger
babytiger Member Posts: 360
edited 28. Dec 2011, 13:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am thinking of buying a wheat bag for my knee but do they actually work and which is the best one to get.
I usually go for a hot bath which is bliss and takes the pain away right away ,I could lie there all day.
I was gonna use my tens but Pete says I shoiuldn't on my new knee

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I find they are great.......depends where you are using it.....possible a snake shape one {sorry for the description} would be better for your knee.
    I find a hot water bottle shaped one better but I use it for my back
    Good luck finding one that suits

Love
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i like the long ones as well they great for neck and knee alternated with ice if there any swelling val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I have three wheat bags but the one I use the most and love the best is the Tisserand Lavender Wheat Cushion. I am on my second one as the other after a goodly number of years had seen better days! You can google it, if you are interested.

Wheatbags definitely help me. :grin: Great for knees, neck, feet, shoulder, hands or just to cuddle to be warm.
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi B T

hope you had a good Christmas?

They are good but don;t stay warm long enough for me so I tend to use a hot water bottle.

oh i remember lying in a bath... have trouble getting in and out now and well scared to have one for that reason cus the last one took me 3/4 hour to get out of...... who you gong to call :lol::lol:

You could use the tens on the knee as well but can't remember where you attach the pads... your might have a book with it or you might be able to find the sites where you put them on line with the makers page? Could be worth ago and if it doesn't help them you will know.

Hope they are looking after that knee and keeping an eye on it for you though? Cris x
  • jez
    jez Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a regular hot water bottle shaped wheat bag it stays hot for about 2.5 hours it's brilliant no hot liquids to mess with and refills are cheap, - the inners last @ 2/3 years, easy to tell when it needs replacing it only stays hot for @ 1 hour.
    Happy new year to all. x:-D
    Jez
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Babytiger

l have three wheaties and l love them. Two are sausage shaped and one is a heart shape (pressie from the youngest x;) ). They are great aren't they? l use mine for long journeys and when l have hurt my back/neck.

Hope they help you - oh the 'cheap' shops do them and they are just as good.

Love

Toni xx
  • babytiger
    Options
    Thanks for your replies,will have to go googling as I still cant get out to shops and Asda don't sell them :cry:
    I tried googling to find where to attach tens pads to my leg but got nowhere yet. Might ask physio tomorrow ,they might know,
    Baths still the best option at moment but have to have someone in house as I struggle to get back out and scared I mihgt get stuck lol.
    My knee seems to have gone on permanent strike at moment
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi BT,

the physio should certainly know where to put the pads.

I just wanted to say they are looking at the knee aren't they? Hope it ill be an easier day for you. Cris x
  • babytiger
    Options
    Cris
    Im meant to have around 6 weeks physio before going back to see consultant but of course with xmas etc its gonna be about 3 sessions,Ive tried my exercises but my knee wont move
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi BabyTiger, You have opened up the big debate!! Some people use them all the time and some people hate them and will not touch them and will say they are dangerous and stick to a hot water bottle!
    I myself always use them and as long as you don't heat them for very long you are fine! I only heat mine for a max of 2 1/2mins a time and it stays nice and warm for an hour. Mine has lavender in it as well and smells lovely! I'm more afraid of a hot water bottle than beanies!
    The choice is yours my friend! Merry Christmas!
  • babytiger
    Options
    thought a bag would be more practical as could wrap it round my knee where a hot water bottle I couldn't ,even asked in Lloyds chemist yesterday and she said go to supermarket 9i thought they would have sold them)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    willcos ,b&m, boots,superdrugs and home bagaines all sell them val
    val
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I love mine and have several + a furry hot water bottle ( my substitute cat)
    for the various sore bits.. The long ones are best for sore knees, wrists and ankles.
    Chrissie