Fed up and need help

Options
deedeeitsme
deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
edited 30. Dec 2011, 13:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I,m new to this forum and hoping for some advice please. I'm currently off work with lower back/hip pain that is really getting me down now!! I have been off for 5 months, had physio for 3 months which did not help at all. Had blood tests which i literally had to beg for but all normal apart from 1 which was abnormal but normal for me apparently (seeing my doctor again on the 30th to discuss this). No improvement pain wise since day 1 and don't know where to go from here.I am taking cocodamol and amitryptaline at the moment but really not getting any relief from the pain. I am 46 and have been told I am too young to have arthur even though it runs in my family. Really need to know where i go from here. Thank you in advance x Dee x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Deedeeitsme and welcome to the forum. It’s a shame you had to find us, especially at this time of year.

I hope the appointment on 30th will reveal a bit more about the blood results. Arthritis can be difficult to diagnose. You don’t say what type of arthritis runs in your family but it’s certainly possible to get it very young – just look at our ‘My Child Has Arthritis’ forum – and 46 is definitely not too young. By 46 I’d had RA for over 30 years and had 2 knee replacements.

In the meantime, there are other paindullers/anti-inflammatories you can take although, if it is arthritis, nothing takes it away completely. It’s a pity the physio didn’t help as keeping muscles strong is an important part of keeping pain to a minimum. I think, if it were me, I’d be asking for an x-ray. That might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Dee,

A welcome from me as well, though sorry you have this.

I am with Sticky your never too young unfortunately. I was 15 when they told me I have ostero so any kind can come in young.

You really do need to get it sorted and have they said at any point what they think it is? I still amazed your gp says your too young and well I think you might do better seeing a different gp to be honest.

You do need at least an xray...... ask for that one flower at least. More tests are clearly needed and I also wonder if you could ask for a referral as well? Especially if arthritis runs through your family.

Dee I really think its better for you to see someone else unless your gp has changed their mind on the 30th and become more helpful.

Nice to meet you and hope you will get better help and better pain control as well. Cris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi DeeDee

I am sorry to read that you do not appear to being taken seriously, by, I presume, your gp. If it was your GP, who passed comment that you are too young to have any form of arthritis, he/she is greatly mistaken and unfortunately you need to educate him/her or change your gp.

I am wondering how the physio was treating you, that did not help, all that time?

As others have said, reqesting xrays would be a good idea for starters. You have had the blood tests. As the meds are not working these need to be revised.

Perhaps taking some information about arthritis to your gp may help him/her learn more, which can, I believe, be downloaded from this site or call the helplines to ask them to send you some literature may be a good idea too.

I wish you well with this, we are here to help and support you. Knowledge is power. I do hope that you feel you are getting somewhere after your next appointment.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.....the physio hurt so much that she got to a point where she didn't want to touch me. The gentle exercises were fine and I still do those when I'm able. I have seen a few doctors now but none have said what they think it is. 1 said it was muscular pain another said it was mechanical pain so really don't know whats happening. The pain started in my left hip months ago (maybe a couple of years) but it was bearable so you just get on with it then I woke one morning in agony with pain in my groin and thought enough is enough, get it sorted. The pain is now mainly in my lower back but radiates out to the buttocks which feels very sore even to touch . I also have pain in my upper back which radiates to my neck and my shoulders. I have pain in my knees when I bend them and my ankles around the front. Sorry for the ramble. Maybe I'll print this and take it to docs. x Dee x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Dee
    And a very warm welcome to this forum, only sorry you had to find us.
    Gosh we have had so many people on here that have found it difficult to be taken seriously with there GP, It was only by coming on here that I got the confidence to speak to my GP and tell him how I felt.
    Somehow you have got to get over to them how bad the pain is, and dont forget now you have joined us we are all behind you.
    Wishing you good luck with your appointment, and please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Thank you again for your replies.....I am determined to get some result when I see the gp on the 30th, I WILL be sent for xrays!! It is so good to "talk" to people who actually understand. Will let you know the outcome of the appointment x Dee x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I suggest you also keep a 'pain diary', deedeeitsme, so that you don't forget, under pressure, exactly what hurt when. If there is any swelling, you could take - or ask someone else to take - photos and also note if it feels hotter than surrounding areas at the time. I hope you have a good appointment.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Good for you DeeDee. You already have more confidence in connection with this and determination to try to get the ball rolling. You have a few things that you can start to do (pain diary, photos perhaps) before your appointment and advice/support from us too so you will feel more in charge when you next go to see your gp.

Out of interest, what arthritis runs in your family?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • zaphod
    zaphod Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi DeeDee,
    I`m amazed your GP said you`re to young to have Arthritis, it is a very very poor and frankly wrong diagnosis.
    I`d be bringing up the fact that this is obviously causing you distress, and you don`t want to become depressed, which is an easy state to end up in, with the constant pain, Insomnia, frustration and worry, that all comes when a person is in pain for a long time
    In my case it was being persistant, and patient. I had to gradually work my way through the paracetamol, co-codamol, DHC route for years, before my GP himself suggested the stronger painkillers.
    Some Gps are obviously worried about people misusing these meds, if this is what your Doctor is worried about, then, perhaps you could be refereed to the local pain clinic, and ask them about the possibility of of the various patches available.
    My Gp was quite happy to put me onto these, as a first step, as I personally don`t think they are as open to abuse as tablets.
    Obviously some people will abuse anything, but if you can manage to get them to stay stuck on for 3 days, they are remarkably effective, and easy to use. (unfortunately I couldn`t get them to stop on.)
    Keep reiterating the stress this pain is causing you, and how it is adversely effecting your quality of life.
    BUT, although I found Morphine to be a life changer for me (I was 44 when first prescribed them), they don`t suit, or work for everyone. Although there are many different forms this medication comes in, I`m sure that if this is the way you want to go, and they work for you, then you will find the right Med for you, though it may take months of trial and error to get it right.

Hope things work out for you soon.
    All the best
    Paul
    "Zaphod`s just this guy y`know"
  • deedeeitsme
    Options
    Hi all

well progress of sorts.....apparently I have fibromyalgia!! This diagnosis does tie in a few things though, when I was having physio I always told her that I came in with 1 thing and came out with another because she always found somewhere else that hurt. Now on codeine and paracetamol, 2 of each when needed to a max of 8 of each and 2 amatryptaline to be taken daily and all on repeat prescription now. Also spoke to her about working reduced hours and she suggested trying 4 hrs a day mon to fri with weekends as specific rest days so going to contact work after hols. She said if they can't accomadate these hours then I am NOT fit for work as she feels even on the reduced hours I will struggle. x Dee x