heel growth

eleanor
eleanor Member Posts: 2
Hi please could anybody give any advice,
I have had reactive arthritis for 8 months. In the last 5 months I have developed a hard growth on the back of my heel as a result of an inflamed achilies tendon. This is a major problem for me as it feels very tight and becomes achy and painful when used. I cannot run, jump or walk very far. If I rest it seems to feel better, but as soon a I go about my normal activities again it begins to hurt and I am very worried about making it worse. Do you know what exactly this is? And most importantly what can I do to make it go away? My doctor said it should disapear eventually, but in the mean time I cannot work because of mobility issues and so am feeling very fed up. I am confused because I don't understand what I should be doing.. stretching it or resting? I have tried to rest but it doesn't seem to be going away... please help I am used to being a very active person as I studied dance at university and when I developed arthritis was working as a diving instructor in borneo... :sad:

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Eleanor

Happy New Year!

I can see the situation is distressing you. Unfortunately we cannot diagnose or tell you what the hard growth is however I would suggest you ask your GP for an urgent referral to see a podiatrist particularly as it is affecting your job and mobility.

Best wishes
    Simona
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Eleanor

I am sorry to hear of your foot problems.

Your GP is probably right in that it will get get better on its own but that can take about 2 - 3 months which is a long time when you wish to carry on with your life. :roll:

You could try putting ice over the Achilles tendon for 15 to 20 minutes, two to three times per day. Remove the ice if the area gets numb.

It is easier said than done to stop any activity that causes you pain. A physiotherapist may be able to help you. If you ride a bike instead of walking, this would take pressure off the foot.

Perhaps heel lifts placed in the shoe under the heel or wearing shoes that are softer in the areas over and under the heel cushion may help.

Elna x (a forum member)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.