Re:Wibble cottage

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 17. Jan 2012, 06:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
If Hugh Fernly-Whittlestck can have his own river cottage cooking program then I can have a post on here, socan I ask you lot, do any off you make bread in a bread maker and do any of you get slightly heavy loafs from the results, are they never as fluffy as shop produced bread?, I use to but I've finally cracked it at long last!.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    If Hugh Fernly-Whittlestck can have his own river cottage cooking program then I can have a post on here, socan I ask you lot, do any off you make bread in a bread maker and do any of you get slightly heavy loafs from the results, are they never as fluffy as shop produced bread?, I use to but I've finally cracked it at long last!.

no have not got one are they good ??? love fresh bread and used to make my own when did not work val
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Val yes really good if you can crack it, we have a Panasonic bread macker and if you run it on the normal settings for normal bread it's OK but nothing to write home about, the way I found out how to make it lighter was by accident. I did a mix of 50 50 whole meal flower and French flower so thought I'd put it on the French bread cycle, it's a 6 hour one the rest are all around 5, but bingo the loaf was really good, since then I have tried other flower mixes and some without the French flower but all were made on the French bread setting ie a 6 hour cycle and all come out fluffy as hell lovelly crust and all, it's so good I can't keep up with the war office and little war office as soon as I make it it's gone.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Mell

Your bread-making sounds great- I can almost smell that lovely aroma of freshly baked bread from here :grin:

That aroma always takes me back to my childhood because my Grandad was a Master baker who ran his own bakery and cake shop. My mother worked there too, so I spent many hours there when I was young. My Grandad taught me how to bake bread, and I still enjoy doing it now (the old-fashioned way as I haven't got a bread-making machine )
    He taught me that the most important thing is the quality of the flour, and the kneading process to develop the elasticity of the gluten in the flour.

I'm not sure what he would have thought of bread-making machines, but I think he would have approved. He despised the modern sliced white loaves though, and would never eat any right to the end of his life.( He said that you might as well eat cotton wool.) He lived to 97, so I think he knew what he was talking about.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My friend has a Panasinoc bread maker and yes, the results are good but to my taste she overdoes the salt. How much do you put in, Mell Fearnely-Wibblecottage? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    My friend has a Panasinoc bread maker and yes, the results are good but to my taste she overdoes the salt. How much do you put in, Mell Fearnely-Wibblecottage? DD

We have a Panasonic breadmaker for some years and it's always come out top in independant tests.Know other people with other makes and the results were disappointing

mellman01 wrote:
    Hi Val yes really good if you can crack it, we have a Panasonic bread macker and if you run it on the normal settings for normal bread it's OK but nothing to write home about, the way I found out how to make it lighter was by accident. I did a mix of 50 50 whole meal flower and French flower so thought I'd put it on the French bread cycle, it's a 6 hour one the rest are all around 5, but bingo the loaf was really good, since then I have tried other flower mixes and some without the French flower but all were made on the French bread setting ie a 6 hour cycle and all come out fluffy as hell lovelly crust and all, it's so good I can't keep up with the war office and little war office as soon as I make it it's gone.

Hi mellman great to see you posting (and rehab and del),few of us men here.
    Will pass your info about flour mixes to my OH,always willing to try other mixes.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I have a Panasonic Bread Maker and have used it for 10+ years now.

My favourite thing is to do dough in it and make rolls which I prefer to over-prove for about 4 hours to get a lighter bread. I also put a dish of water in the oven to help them to rise - though this does soften the crust.

I haven't seen any French flour but would like to give it a go so I shall have a look for it when I'm next in Sainsburys. Thanks for the tip Mell.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mellman01
    Options
    Well this turned up a few covert bread makers on here!, as for salt DD it's only a small amount you need is around 10 gram per 500 gram's of flour tops, you can even leave it out if you like, I sinply follow the instructions that are printed on the bags of the local flour I use.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Well this turned up a few covert bread makers on here!, as for salt DD it's only a small amount you need is around 10 gram per 500 gram's of flour tops, you can even leave it out if you like, I sinply follow the instructions that are printed on the bags of the local flour I use. Oh legs the flour I get is from a local mill as I do all my other flour but it's the french part that seems to do the job!.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thanks Mell, I shall give it a go on the French setting with the normal flour I use then ...........6 hours does seem a long time to be waiting for a loaf though and I reckon this is why I haven't tried it in the past.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi legs I hope it works for you, please let us know OK, oh sorry I posted the same post twice earlier on not sure why must be a glitch in the matrix, I'm gonna change my name to Neo from now on!!.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Neo!

There may be a few days delay before I try it. I was going to give it a go tomorrow but hubby has just come home with two seeded loaves! :roll: :lol:

......I'll let you know though.

I can recommend the pizza dough recipe in the book provided, if you've not tried it and I also add garlic and herbs to a dough to make foccacia (sp?) ?

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • valval
    Options
    can you make cheese bread love this toasted with marmite on heaven??? must get one if can val
    val
  • lindalegs
    Options
    valval wrote:
    can you make cheese bread love this toasted with marmite on heaven??? must get one if can val

Yes Val ............I would think you just put cheese in with other loaf ingredients ...simples :grin:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • valval
    Options
    used to be able to get it at supermarkets but they stopped doing it will have to get some stuff in and try thanks
    val
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Mell I learned from a prog I watched a while ago that adding a small amount of vitamin c powder also helps - especially if using wholemeal or granary/seeded flours

wonky
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I tried the French bread setting and did end up with a loaf bigger than usual and much more airy. It was crusty, so much so I couldn't shake it out of the 'pan' :shock: so had to enrol hubby's help.

It is worth the six hour wait but it's a bread I can only make for teatime as I, generally, am not an early riser..................similar to the bread :wink::lol:

Thanks for the tip Mell :grin:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x