Costochondritis anyone??

Options
cloud9
cloud9 Member Posts: 385
edited 6. Jan 2012, 15:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Haven't been around for a while, but I do pop in from time to time to see that you're all being good! :lol:
I've had costochondritis before, back in 2005. It came on very suddenly and was so painful, I was rushed into hospital with suspected heart attack/lung thrombosis. After a million and one tests which proved my heart and lungs were fine they said it was costochondritis, (severe inflamation of the cartilage between the ribs and sternum), that it would run its course and go away. It did. About 2 weeks ago it came back! :sad: Apparently it can and will re occur. They don't know what causes it but it's either by straining or virus which attacks the cartilage. It can take up to 6 months to settle. Am taking Naproxen for it. Just wondered if anyone here has any experience with this or Tietzes Disease (?sp). Even my chiropracter pilates instructor says he's learned about it but, until me, had never met anyone with it!
Sue (Cloud9)

Comments

• theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Funny that, I had it at christmas I have RA and have been told its likely to re occur. I then had it again New Year.

Then a friend of my friend says she had it boxing day she has no known RA but does I think have Fibro.
    Then several others seem to have had it over the past few weeks some I know some I dont I find this really strange how loads have had it all at the same time. Im now wondering if its something else and its the term the GPs prefer at the minute ?????

Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • cloud9
    Options
    Wow, that is strange eh?
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    had steroid injection before christmas for it as breathing was difficult helped a lot on new meds not fingers crossed they stop it val
    val
  • cloud9
    Options
    Am on Naproxen now which is helping. He gave me Kapake before and boy did they make me feel rough. Didn't touch the pain! Agree Val, when the pain is at it's worst, breathing is awful. I got hiccups this morning and it made me cry it hurt so bad!
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • peridotlouise
    peridotlouise Member Posts: 81
    Options
    my mum suffers from it, she's had it for years and it goes on and off. she had to cut her hours down and she can't lift anything heavy at all. she takes medication when it gets bad but otherwise avoids anything that strains her chest. sounds very painful.
  • annalou
    annalou Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, my Mum has it and shes had it on and off for six months or so, the GP just told her to basically go away and live with it. Like you she was rushed to hospital with suspected heart attack! She also has psoriasis, bad joints, spondylitis in her lower back and I'm pushing her to get the GP to refer her to rheumy as I think she may have PA like me?!! I'd heard it can be a symptom of PA or maybe coincidence?

Hope it disappears for good for you, it's very unpleasant!!

XX Annalou
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    annalou wrote:
    Hi, my Mum has it and shes had it on and off for six months or so, the GP just told her to basically go away and live with it. Like you she was rushed to hospital with suspected heart attack! She also has psoriasis, bad joints, spondylitis in her lower back and I'm pushing her to get the GP to refer her to rheumy as I think she may have PA like me?!! I'd heard it can be a symptom of PA or maybe coincidence?

Hope it disappears for good for you, it's very unpleasant!!

XX Annalou

look at her nails has she got ridges down them if so show gp she does need bloods doing val
    val
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hiya.

Yup like some others rushed to hosp, suspected heart attack, oh know its costro, had steroid injection and have had this twice now.
    Did ease but am having a flare of it right now along with all the other bits falling to bits :lol:

Rheummy did say they dont like using steroid often and said that they would use the chilli cream for it next time.
    Am trying to ride through this at mo hoping it settles itself first. On loads pain meds so it isnt as bad as has been :lol:

Oh yes i have been diagnosed with P.A (up for question at mo) and also told that it is quite common alongside P.A, but am not sure.

All the best.
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I've got Ra and get it now and then. Saw a gp before christmas with chest pain like many others here. It's very uncomfortable but mine wears off after a few weeks.
  • cloud9
    Options
    Mine has definitely eased and is manageable now. I heated my wheat bag last night and slept with that on it. Bliss!!!!! Also, the Naproxen is definitely better than the Kapake that they tried me on before. Felt like I'd been hit by 2 ten ton trucks on them!!
    Sue (Cloud9)