Re:Spring time!

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 19. Jan 2012, 13:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all it's nearing spring again, the big sign here are red kites thermal soaring in groups, seen six in one today they are also calling out all the time another sign, so on the back end of that I've now planted my Dorset Nagga Chilli's and tomato seeds, got them in a heated tray in the kitchen window will then move them to my home made light room to bring them on, I just hope I don't have a year like last year.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mell,

I like spring, its a good time of year.

Its not that close here yet.... mind the crocuses are out and some of the daffs are trying to but they have done it too soon and the wildlife seem to know it :lol:

Be lovely to see kites :grin: We really only have Buzzards this way... well loads of other bids but on the prey front there does only seem to be a huge amount of buzzards....

they do odd things in spring.... 3 stand in a triangle in the fields for hours.... never sure what its about but they know :lol:

Hope you don;t have as bad a year as well. Cris xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    spring is a long way off up here :sad: but at least it something to look foward to only garden birds here to see val
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Val and Cris, as for your Buzards Cris the do hunt on the ground sometimes, there's a field down in Ipsden village where the Red Kites and Buzards land and wander around, for some reason there's alway loads of them there, the field opposite our house is cut for hay around August and as soon as they start Kites and Buzards come in from all angles to hunt the mice really nice to see so many.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well I keep promising myself a book on bird spotting, we back on to farm land and have some interesting birds visiting but iv not a clue what Im looking at...apart from the common ones that is.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Mel,
    Last year we visited the Garlic farm on the Isle of Wight, they had various dips and chutneys for you to sample, one of the dips was called 'Dragons blood'...my husband and eldest son ate a tiny bit on a bread stick and after a minute or so rushed outside to the bar for anything to cool the fire.
    The reason I mention the Dragons Blood is that it's made using the Dorset Naga. Husband decided to buy a bottle and we use it very sparingly in homemade BBQ beans (my own recipe it's fab!) curries and chilli con Carne etc. would highly recommend however thàt if you do purchase a bottle, use gloves! I can't tell you how painful it is if you get it anywhere near your face.
    Anyone that's wants my beans recipe feel free to pm me. X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi poppygirl your the only other people who use Dorst Nagga for cooking, I use it for it's amazing broad heat, my wife loves them but not to much but also likes the deep spread heat it causes, I have a mate who loves cooking and I gave him 5 or 6 to try, I told him how to use them but he threw them away as in his mind "there's only one type of heat with Chilli's" I tried to tell him how wrong he was but he's a bit up his own bum so it was pointlles, he goes to Italy each year and gets his olive oil and pasta there as he says the stuff here isn't any good one of his hand made Italian cookinf knives cost him £80!, I think he has a severe case of the Jamie Oliver virus once infected it takes years to get back to normallity and then only with severe constant counciling.
    Anyway he's totally wrong and also blinkered, but he wont have it, he like the different pod flavours and cuts out the pith and seeds but wont ever go anywhere near hot ones, he's missing a whole world of different heats, his loss I guess
  • valval
    Options
    you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink his loss mel
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    well mines well and truly passed then!, joking apart there it was all nice and spring like and BAM!, it went all flippin cold, so I did what a bloke does in times like these I got a big old log and coal fire going, it's great the dogs go into a comma, I only use it when it's really cold and Iv'e got about 3 tonne of wood cut up out back so have enough for a few more winters yet.
  • valval
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    well mines well and truly passed then!, joking apart there it was all nice and spring like and BAM!, it went all flippin cold, so I did what a bloke does in times like these I got a big old log and coal fire going, it's great the dogs go into a comma, I only use it when it's really cold and Iv'e got about 3 tonne of wood cut up out back so have enough for a few more winters yet.
    do you wander about in your shorts an t shirt bloke at work with one says it gets red hot val
    val