nusery teacher - just diagnosed - advice?

Options
KitMcF
KitMcF Member Posts: 16
Hello all, on Friday I was diagnosed with Osteo arthritis in my right ankle. I am an early years teacher, teaching a mixed nursery reception class.

I am on my feet on and off through the day playing with the kids and outside as well for an hour at a time.

I'm just looking to connect with other teachers to see what is any measures I need to take with regards to work - I presume I need to let the health team know?

Just looking for any advice really.

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hiya, and welcome.

I am not a teacher but i know a few on here and some that have been who may be able to advise on your position.
    t10007.gif

Just saying hi and maybe post this on the living with forum as it gets more readers. :smile:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Kit,
    Like you I teach and have RA which often leaves me in pain and fatigued beyond words. I shared the diagnosis with my headteacher and got leaflets that gave her information about symptoms etc-she appreciated the insight into what I was coping with. Your head has a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments-mine arranged for me to have better chairs so that I didn't have to sit on tiny ones.
    Teaching is a tough job when you feel well, but struggling with pain makes it horrendous some days. As an early years teacher I really found that the rest of the team were my salvation- they could see when I was struggling and often took pressure off me, or stood in when I was really struggling- maybe if you share with your team they will support you too?
    I'm in year 1 now, and whilst it is better not having to help with coats, buttons etc for the tiny ones, it's harder being isolated in the classroom and no longer part of the team.
    I would encourage you to be open with colleagues so that on the bad days they will understand that you need a bit of extra care or support.

Take care, blessings
    Deb x
  • flowersmad
    flowersmad Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi,

I know it must be hard working on your feet at times. I used to really struggle with OA at times. I don't know if you've tried any supplements, but I have taken a collagen plus suppliment in drink form now for a few years and have found it to reduce the level of pain and has helped me to stay more active.

I really hope your colleagues are understanding and considerate and give you support. Try to stay positive! :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi flowersmad

I see that three out of four of your postings mention collagen plus. Are you selling this product by any chance :?: I used to have a friend well into his nineties that swore by this for years but as he was practically housebound for many years too and in great discomfort with OA, I am not sure what he felt it was actually doing for him. He did treat me to a couple of pots of it but it never performed any miracles for me either. :wink:

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • flowersmad
    flowersmad Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Kit,

I wish I was a distribtor of it lol, after all my family and friends I have recommended it to :) I am really enthusiastic about it because of the difference its made to me. I know that it has heped some that I've recommended it to, but then others that haven't felt much of a difference. I suppose some maybe absorb supplements better that others.

Just wondering if you've tried microwaveable wheat packs to give a bit of temporary relief? You can get some longish shaped ones which wrap around really well. Just thinking if you're maybe having a bad day, you could maybe put it on at lunch/break times to get you through.
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm a secondary teacher and I find that I really have to pace myself throughout the day. I have to watch what I'm eating to ensure that the foods that I eat give me the energy I need when I need it, instead of reaching for a quick fix like biscuits :)
  • lozzC
    lozzC Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi!

I am newly diagnosed with RA and I am also a teacher (year 3). I am only 23 and feeling pretty down about the diagnosis at the moment. I have been struggling through my NQT year in a tough school and I have struggled with a lot of pain and a lot of different medication. Even a high dose of steroids haven't helped like they should. I am starting metatrexate this week.

Like dibdab I have found my TA invaluable, she can read me like a book, but it doesn't make things than much easier... and by the time I get home at night I am exhausted... before the marking and the prep!!!

Is anyone else on metatrexate? How do they cope with this and working... I have heard the side effects can be pretty horrible, especially the tablets that my consultant wants to start me on.

I have been considering going part time, just whilst I get my meds right... but with the job market as it is I am struggling to find anything... and I am never sure whether to mention my RA straight away... My current head isn't supportive and quite frankly I am glad the lady on maternity is coming back!!! :D However I love teaching and don't want to let my RA get in the way of finding my perfect job!

It would be really nice to know how other people have coped... tough job... tough diagnosis...

Thank you :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello lozzC. Welcome to the forum. It's many years since I was 23, with RA and teaching but mine was quite well-controlled at the time. This will be a tough time for you as you wait to get established on some meds that will help to keep the disease at bay. I'm sorry the steroids didn't work. They act like a dream for me but not for everyone.

Methotrexate certainly does seem to come with a reputation. Lots of people are afraid of taking it. It's a powerful med but then RA is a powerful disease and needs something strong to keep it in check. I've been on it for over 10 years with no real side-effects at all. You will be very well monitored while you're on it and I hope it works well for you.

Although this is the right forum for threads about work I suggest you also put it on the Living With Arthritis forum partly because it's also a query about meds and partly because more people go on there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright