Trial or error

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 11. Jan 2012, 13:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, I’ve done ‘clinical trials’ at my local hospital in my younger days but never been paid for them. I remember one that entailed regular visits to Medical Physics but I can’t remember what they did there. I just recall sitting in a chair while various bits of me were measured. My most memorable one was collecting a week’s pee when I was pregnant. Payment by the litre would have been good.

Are there dangers in clinical trials? I guess so. Otherwise they wouldn’t be trials and they wouldn’t be paying you to undertake them. If they involve trialling meds I think it’d be a crazy thing to do. Who knows what interactions might ensue.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh Tody!

What a question!

l guess it depends on a lot of factors....what it's for, whether it might help YOU, what the risks are etc etc.

Me?? If it was a trial of a drug for cancer for instance and l had tried everything else and had cancer l know l would.

Do let us know what you decide :grin:

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Tody, it's good to hear from you again. I haven't 'polled' yet as I honestly don't know the answer: I have taken part in medical research during the development of a treatment for hayfever (anyone heard of Beconase? Or use it? They collected my snot (and that of others) for that (and damned uncomfortable it was too). As I recall I was paid £50 per session, now in the early eighties that was a tidy sum and I was not on any of the meds I take now, apart from regular asthma ones. I do believe in medical trials etc as that is how progress is made but I remember still the headlines from one that went drastically wrong for more than one person (and they were fit and healthy before it, now they're far from it).

What meds are you on? I am ashamed to say I cannot remember any details of your arthritis :oops: but if you are on any of the immuno-suppressant drugs I would urge you to think very, very carefully about doing this.

I think you had a quiet Christmas, yes? I hope it passed OK and that you enjoyed New Year. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    1, are you fit and healthy or r they trialing arther drugs
    2,have you run out of meds to try
    3,will it take a lot of your time,will you be out of pocket
    4,is it close
    5,how did they find you to ask you(being nosey)
    6,do you get a full mot before and after??
    val
    val
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    money, the pol never mentioned money
    dooeeeee
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Most of us are not going to be cured, nice to think others, maybe our greatgrandchildren could be in the future. I sometimes wonder if a lot of the things that the NHS does is not one big experiment!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Tody! :oops: I'm unaccustomed to being called 'Daisy darling' on here - Diabolic Damsel is more the usual! I rather like it though. Thank you.

Christmas passed, it was OK. I find the whole period very trying and tiring, thanks to two sorts of arthritis and two increasingly elderly mums but my husband was, as ever, a tremendous support. New Year? I went to bed at 10 and thanks to rain there were not too many fireworks or idiots shouting. Like you I have no trouble with my own company either (I was an only child) and also wonder why people assume that being on your own is such a bad thing: I like it. Having said that I am very happily married, do not have children through choice (who the hell would want my genes? Even I don't) and I enjoy spending what times together we can manage with Mr Daisy.

My favourite present was a Kindle, now reading is a pleasure again, especially with being able to enlarge the print at night when my eyes are tired! DD

PS My favourite earwig on a bus was hearing one woman say to another 'We're in love but that's as far as it goes.'
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben