Ex armed forces.

Options
stevanmelia
stevanmelia Member Posts: 31
edited 26. Jan 2012, 00:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi,
Just wanted to know anyone ex military? It's a big jump from military life to arthritis chat. It works for me but I live with PTSD which is quite a head start on depression so would like to know how others manage.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    ey up.
    What type of horrible arthur are you suffering with?
    I've nothing but high praise for our forces..

Best of luck Rkid.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi my brother in raf bless him had a scare with arther few months back but lucky for him it was something else. rehab is ex milatery but not on much at moment val
    val
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Hubby ex mil but have not managed to get him on this site... has arthur spondultis..... knees both knackered and hips on there way..bless him. Had terrible depression due to back etc and been put ont the crap heap as he called it. Now 10/11 years down the line and now realises it was the right way to go. Now he is the main carer and we do fostering... just had to find a job that was not tooo physical. It was a masive life change and did take a few years to adapt....you will get therei am sure...especial with this crowd...THEY ARE FAB :smile::smile:
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello there young fella tell me more, What are you suffering with, what part of the country are you in, What Regiment you in, i'm King's and 3 RGJ
    Have you by any chance been to Audley Court C/Stress. Dont want to ask you to much and scare you off. Nice to see you on the Fourum great gang of people in here and always someone to listen to you or just chat to. there are a few x army guys in here you can spot them although they dont say anything. It is indeed a big jump from Army to Athritis but this forum helped throgh a real bad time a couple of years ago.
    Take Care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi welcome to the AC forum, I've not had any time in the forces but I am pretty well Spammed up on a lot of things to do with it, I live a few miles away from RAF Benson the home of the Merlin and Puma squadrons we they also have Chinook’s now and I see the odd AH64 clattering about, am also friends with a few of the guys on base and have visited there a few times, to be honest I’m not so keen on ships but if it goes across the land or flies then I will probably know of it at least, I’m also an avid reader on the Vietnam war and have an extensive collection of books on that conflict. Basically I’m an anorak with OA.
  • stevanmelia
    Options
    Hi all,
    Many thanks for the kind responses. I feel most ignorant that it has been a few days since i posted but not replied. I was having a "moment". From the posts submitted it is clear that i am not on my own in the ex military category. I would at this point like to qualify that when it comes to arthritis we are, in my eyes, equal. Arthritis does not put us in categories it is a nasty little bugger to everyone.
    I would also like to share that on Sunday i had no pain and due to that did not feel right to come on the forum. I felt like a fraud! Monday allowed me back again.
    I was in Logistics in the Army but for the last few years of service after the Gulf War i transfered into the Welfare to get qualified for a civilian career.
    Must add, when you get pain free for a day-yipeee.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Hi all,
    Many thanks for the kind responses. I feel most ignorant that it has been a few days since i posted but not replied. I was having a "moment". From the posts submitted it is clear that i am not on my own in the ex military category. I would at this point like to qualify that when it comes to arthritis we are, in my eyes, equal. Arthritis does not put us in categories it is a nasty little bugger to everyone.
    I would also like to share that on Sunday i had no pain and due to that did not feel right to come on the forum. I felt like a fraud! Monday allowed me back again.
    I was in Logistics in the Army but for the last few years of service after the Gulf War i transfered into the Welfare to get qualified for a civilian career.
    Must add, when you get pain free for a day-yipeee.

Good for you having a pain free day it is really great to hear.... ...everyone is welcome pain free or not..
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Ya silly bugger, you dint have to be in pain to be logged in, lol..
    Good to hear from you matey..
    I hope this place helps you as much as it had me and countless others. It's a great place.
    Hoping today is another pain free day for ya. And as Del said, next time share it round, haha
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stevanmelia
    Options
    3:30 Up and at it already. Wanted to sleep longer but bits of me were in disagreement. Ah well, at least the grandsins uniform is ironed and packed lunches done. Thanks for the kind responses to my post they help to qualify my thoughts. I read many of the "Real Lives" stories and it is quite humbling to read what others have been through or are living with. I still have alot to learn about what is going on for me as things are changing and it does not match initial diagnosis. I took a blow to my knee which resulted in my all time flare up. It got 10/10 for size and pain. Then my right arm started to ache, whats this all about i thought. One month gone, the knee is working but my arm? well, we have fallen out. Why does it feel like its muscular and not joint? Oh well soldier on. I do hope that all you in this very unique group are feeling good and at this moment in time are fast asleep.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Morning mate. Afraid sleep had passed me by tonight.. I have tried, again and again but tip no avail..
    Ain't it just fun discovering new joint pains :? I know it well Rkid.
    I hope that you get some respite today. I'm hoping that the latest dose of steroid injections in mi knees does some good. Bit fed up of the constant pain now.
    I've got osteo in knees and spine and sero negative in my knees, wrists, hands and elbows, shoulders play up too ever now and then. I'm used to the OA pain, had that for many years but the sero neg, different kettle of beasts.. Lol

Anyway matey, at least you know you are far from being alone with this rubbish.
    Be well..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP