mmmmmm work related activity group for me

Options
luckybug
luckybug Member Posts: 205
I recently filled out my ESA form and not surprisingly been put in the Work related activity group instead of support group. I believe it was where I wrote on the form that they should stop picking on genuinely disabled people and get all the druggy and alkis back to work on the page when it asks do you have a problem with other people, I had a problem that day after filling out about 25 pages of rubbish they already know about me, my hands were killing me. Anyhow I have just been asked to go to the jobcentre on March 5th at 9am, that I would like to see, I cannot move on a morning never mind crawl out of bed, and then I am at the mercy of my sister who recently had a baby or my 17 year old niece to help me with showering and dressing and I cannot drive at that time of the day as it takes me a few hours to get my joints moving, so thats a NO NO unless they want me to attend in my jamas. My neighbour over the road from me is younger and fitter and has cerebal palsy, his arms are fit although he drags his legs, he uses a walking frame and an electric scooter as he cannot drive he has been put in the support group, so because I do not use walking aids mainly because I cannot use walking aids as my arms and hands are too weak, and I can drive, (at certain times of the day) I have to go to work focused groups...it stinks. My disability is chronic and getting worse as I get older. I have a closomat toilet as I cannot use a normal loo due to my arms being locked, love to know what moron decided I'm fit for work? anyone else having same problems.

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Have you appealed? I am in the appeal process myself, contact your local citezens A and they will be able to help you..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I have thank you for your advise. Lets see how it goes my mum said I shouldn't be so cocky - but i get peed off with sucking up to them when I see so many abusing the system and they get away with it.
    And genuine people get ripped to shreds.
  • bambi59
    bambi59 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    hi
    yes I have been put in the same group as you and have some of the same problems with mobility. arthritis, degenerative disc disease, spinal pressed nerves COPD and a heart problem.
    on the day of my first interview my adviser rang and asked if I was OK to come in for my interview I said yes but I was worried I may not have a chair as I can not stand for more than a few mins . she assured me I would have a chair. when i got there she said I don't know why you have been put in this group most of my people are ready to go back to work, you are not capable of work. She seemed very concerned ?? she said she will ring me rather than me go to her, for my next interview.
    despite this I have to go on a course explaining my options for work!!
    she said YOU do not have to join this group this is just to explain things.
    she said please remember these people are getting paid for how many people sign up to this course.
    In her way she was probobly as helpful as she was allowed to be ?
    I hope you get some one with a little empathy.
    I wish they could walk in my shoes or your shoes for perhaps a week not just a day and only then would they understand.

As for appealing I haven't the energy or nerve for a fight :!: so good for you for appealing and good luck. I hope you get in to the support group.
    I would like to know how you get on, and perhaps spur more of us shrinking violets on to appeal.
    on another note
    I have a relative with cerebral palsy and needs every bit of help he gets as do we. people with cerebral palsy also have problems not always viable that are debilitating, I could not stand in judgement of someone else's needs even if the system doesn't seem fair.
    It is the system that is not fair not other disabled peoples fault.
    i only say this because i was once shouted down by a woman from my estate in a very public place a slimming meeting may i say.
    She said I go to work and i have a bad back and arthritis, she seemed quite annoyed with me, and was very nasty towards me. I cannot help her pain as i can not help mine but i really did not need shooting down.
    hence i did not go again and put on yet another half a stone!! that did not help my situation, or even hers as she just vented her anger on me not her problem. :sad:
  • bambi59
    bambi59 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi sorry for my ramble about cerebral palsy and my slimming experience :oops:

I thought id let you know, I have just had my interview for 2 year course, which is run by a private company. The lady said it is up to me whether I want to join, or not. I have much time as I want to think about it. I do not have to join now, and can join at any time if I wish. Once I have joined there is no going back she was very nice and seemed understanding of my needs.
    The people I have seen have been extremely understanding, so I have no fault with them.
    It is the rules to begin with that are at fault, people who are not up to jumping through hoops!! (metaphorically speaking) having to do so, to get their rights, and most of the time people not knowing what their rights are any more to begin with.???? :?
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi luckybug:

Did they make their decision without seeing you face to face, your post doesn't mention this but maybe if they saw you they would of been a bit more understanding.

Hope everyone is doing ok as can be :)
  • clairehornby63
    clairehornby63 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hi i am new here.i too have to go for interview i am disgusted i have artherites in all my joints i have osteoporosis i have broke both wrists brok my ribs in 2010 i fell in the kitchen i had 3 fracturs in my humerus i had to have op to put plate in my arm i then got a dvt in my arm 6 months later i had to have plate removed my consultent said this was the only way to repaie the bone. i am restricted with movement in this arm i am terrified of breaking another bone my fingers are deformed with my artheritis but to cut a long story short who is going to employ me i would be a risk i also have other health issues i am angry because i have worked hard all my life i dident want to finish work i had to due to health reasons. i am 59 years old and not getting any better can anyone tell me what they ask you at this interview i go on wednesday 8th feb thankyou :|
  • oldies
    oldies Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi Claire,How did it go when you went?i am expecting to be called i know someone who is going on to an appeal they went to CAB but they cant help without her having to pay,i though CAB was a free service,another place she went to for help said they are only getting involved if they have a realy good chance of winning.ATOS who do the medicals i have heard just read from a screen questions set out by the goverment.
    People have no idea how arthritis affects you ever day.
  • pieman1979
    pieman1979 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I was placed in the WRAG too, which I appealed straight away. This was 6 months ago and they have only just written back to me to inform me that they've looked at the decision again.

They said that they can't see any reason why the decision should be changed and therefore I will have to attend a hearing. Which I will attend once they send me a hearing date/time.

My arguement is mainly questioning the fact that I need care throughout the day and how would this help that I need be given if I went into employment.

I suffer from degenerative disc disease, psoriatic arthritis and nerve damage in my lower back. These have also caused me to have intermittent episodes of depression, for which I can't be given any medication due to my other tablets.

I haven't yet gone through their so called evidence with a fine tooth comb as of yet, but from what I have looked at with the report from the ATOS medical I cannot believe how much lies there is in there.

I attended my medical with my brother-in-law as I need help with loading/unloading my chair in/out of the car and my wife, who is my regular carer, needed to take the kids to school.

I waited around for over an hour after my appointment time to be seen as they only had one room downstairs to examine those of us who can't use the stairs.

I was, by this time, really uncomfortable and tired as I had been sat in a static postion for longer than usual if I were at home. I was called into the room, so wheeled myself in with help from my brother-in-law. The examiner said she didn't know why I was there and didnt examine me. She only asked me 2 questions:

1. Can I transfer between my wheelchair and another seat (e.g. into the car)
    2. Asked me about incontinence.

Well I can transfer with difficulty as as long as I have something to hold onto in order to use my arms to help or if I have somebody to help me. I told her that, as it said on my form, I have no trouble with incontinence, its just that sometimes I dont make it to the toilet in time.

I have, however, read on her report that she "observed" me getting out of my chair into the car after our 2 minute "examination". She said that this was with difficulty but without help.

I think she must've been watching the wrong car because I held onto the car door and the roof sill as well as my brother-in-law standing behind me holding onto my arm and the wheelchair to ensure that I didn't fall backwards and to help me to move due to me being tightened up.

I then had to sit in the car for half an hourish before I even attempted the drive home. ATOS are a joke and the government need to sort something out.

I know they are reforming the benefits system to weed out the cheats, but they should also consider what they are doing to the genuine cases.

Also I wonder how much this new process is costing the tax payer (which I still am), when the government were looking to save by getting people off sickness benefits. Appeals by us genuine people must be costing a fortune, which they would've saved if they just did things properly in the first place!!!
  • pieman1979
    Options
    oldies wrote:
    Hi Claire,How did it go when you went?i am expecting to be called i know someone who is going on to an appeal they went to CAB but they cant help without her having to pay,i though CAB was a free service,another place she went to for help said they are only getting involved if they have a realy good chance of winning.ATOS who do the medicals i have heard just read from a screen questions set out by the goverment.
    People have no idea how arthritis affects you ever day.

I'm going CAB on 6th Sept to be assessed for legal aid so that I can hopefully get representation. As I get contribution based ESA I'm worried that I will have to pay, even though I get no more money than I would if I was on income based ESA
  • oldies
    Options
    Hi
    I thought CAB was a free service :?
  • pieman1979
    Options
    oldies wrote:
    Hi
    I thought CAB was a free service :?

CAB is but the legal representation they offer isn't
  • claire1234
    claire1234 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    hi all dont know if this will help any one but i am on ESA i also have a disability advisor who helped me with all my forms as to what i need to put in it i have been awarded DLA as well with her help but here is what she told me to do with both

1 take the worst day you have

2 make a note of everything you have problems with (so when filling in the forms you have a train of thought)

they will say everyone fit for work as they are a stranded form and most of the time not relevant to your illness or disability and you must appeal my disability advisor helped me with the appeal letter but i had to write it here is some advice she gave me

when writing on the forms put in every detail of your routine for the issues you have this way they will be in no doubt your problems ie when i get dressed in a morning i have to put my clothes on it a set order due to my OCD witch means it can take anything from 5 minutes to 1 hour if i do not do them in the correct order i need, and then state the order. do this for everything you have problems or difficulty's with

i hope this helps and if any one need any more help i am here if they want to get in touch and ask any questions

good luck to all with this problem :-)
  • oldies
    Options
    Thanks Claire
    You dont know who to turn to for the best,some say CAB were useless some say they were good,i expect it depends where you are in the country if you have a good one or not.I will give the one in my area a go,if i dont find them very good will have try elsewhere,only got 3 weeks before the form has be on there desk.Thanks for your info x !!!!!!
  • claire1234
    claire1234 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    hi oldies

have you got a disability advisor at you local job centre if so speak to them some will go above and beyond there job description some will follow it to the letter but they should be able to help you in some way with the forms as i found the CAB was no good in my area they can also help with some kinds of retraining if it is needed to get you into a job that is more in your capability's they sent me to a very good place called portland college to retrain in office work for when i am able to work again :D
  • pieman1979
    Options
    One thing I found confusing.

They agree that I have a progressive illness in my spine. Then, on another page, they have said that they would not expect me to be able to return to work for at least 2 years.

If they know that I have a prgressive illness then surely they know that in 2 years time, they also know that I will be worse and unable to return at all.

Another thing CAB told me is that now they look at everyones mobility different. If you use a aid to move about, as long as you can move 50 metres or more in a reasonable amount of time then you dont get into the support group.

I can move this far or maybe a bit further in my wheelchair, but then I have to stop and rest. If I had an electric chair rather than a self-propelled, then they'd probably not even let me have any points for mobility.

I only had a self-propelled to keep my upper body in shape, I wish now that I had just taken the one which I need somebody to push me in, then I would have no problems in getting into the support group.
  • oldies
    Options
    Hi Claire
    No i havent got an advisor,am at present in receipt of incapaciy,have just got my forms to fill in to see if i am able to do any work,thanks for the info though