How to rewire your brain

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 16. Jan 2012, 11:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
According to a World Mental Health Survey, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, or GAD, (that is constantly worrying about all the things that might go wrong) has become the most prevalent mental-health problem in the world.

However, there are strategies for overcoming GAD. Apparently, if you try to cultivate self-esteem, it can help to rewire your brain to focus on more positive things. It's not about being big-headed, but more about developing a sense of self-worth.

One way of improving your self-esteem is to think about 3 things that you feel went well each day, and focus on them before you go to bed. You could write them down too, and then look back on them at the end of the week.

So here goes....... 3 things that went well for me today are:

1. I received a lovely letter written by my 9-year-old grand-daughter.
2. I started a new painting of a landscape which is going quite well.
3. I read the new posts on the cruise thread which made me smile.

What 3 things have gone well for you today ( or yesterday ) :?:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    1.the sun is out
    2.going out for the day
    3.found the gift vouchers we were given
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yesterday:

1. The sun shone.
    2. I started a jigsaw (sorry Sticky. :oops: )
    3. My friend came round in the afternoon.

Today:

1. The sun is shining and it's COLD!
    2. It's Saturday, my favourite day of the week.
    3. I am going out for a curry with Mr DD after footy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The lawn looks studded with jewels as the sun melts the frost.

For the first time in several days, I think it's possible I don't have something major wrong with my hip.

It's weekend and the wine rack will come into play.

(DD I don't mind other people doing jigsaws just as long as I don't have to join in :smile: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Blimey, Tody, I’m not sure how that’s going to re-wire your brain :shock: . I though the idea was to think positive thoughts, which makes sense even if you don’t personally ‘trust individuals or organizations who claim to understand the human psyche or to be able to affect it’.

As for MIND – surely you can’t condemn an entire organisation on the basis of one bad experience with one member of it? They have given a great deal of help to the daughter of a friend of mine. I know that that doesn't necessarily make them a good organisation but at least it might serve to put them back into neutral.

Come on, Tody! Rewire your brain. Three positive things to come of all that are:

1. You have clearly managed without MIND’s help :lol: .
    2. You had more important things to do that day than attend the appointment they gave you :lol::lol: .
    3. You are able to talk to us :lol::lol::lol:

All of which are good :wink: .
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    1. Another bright, frosty, sunny day.
    2. Half the ironing is done.
    3. I am cautiously optimistic that, by tomorrow night, I will be able to get into our new bath and ditch the nose pegs.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Tody

I think it a little unfair to say the least to tar all psychologists with the same brush. How many have you seen then to come to this decision? I know people who have been helped by them.

I suppose if you prefer to be alone all the time, you cannot argue with yourself, you do everything as and when you want to as there is no-one ever to consider and presumably in time become rather self-centred with zilch patience/compassion for anyone else. I love my own company but most definitely need other people in my life too. The balance is most important to me. We are all different though. We are only human and I am sure you have forgotten to do things as that lady "forgot" to call you. If you had called them again, you would have got another appointment, now you will never know where that may have led.

Thank you for sharing your very one sided point of view.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    1. I took some photos of the garden early this morning when the frost was sparkling on the leaves- it looked so beautiful. :grin:
    2. I've spent about 4 hours painting a picture of Venice instead of doing the housework; the house can wait, but my inspiration can't. :grin:
    3. I had a nice chat about art with my friendly window cleaner who appeared when I was painting :grin:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    I received a thank you card from my niece in australia and her boyfriend for the christmas money I sent them.

We bought a new camera yesterday and although I dont use all the buttons and only the auto photo I managed to take a couple of good photos of the garden and a bunch of flowers I received.

And today I tried to get back into a routine of (only light) housework after my neck/spine op. :grin: